First Turkey with Crossbow, but question about the Lumenoks.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

adam6521

First Turkey with Crossbow, but question about the Lumenoks.

Post by adam6521 »

Shot one right above the beard head on with Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380. Great entrance and exit wound, actually came out by his wing and broke the bone complete pass through. Diablo bolts with 150 grain Boltcutter broadheads. Hit him at 20 yards, flopped around back and forth and ran 20 yards at that was it. Through the DLX scope the lumenok light up when I pulled the trigger and when it hit the turkey I could not see it. I went back THAT NIGHT when it was pitch dark and looked everywhere and could not find the arrow, the noc must of broke or turned itself off when it hit. In gonna try a metal detector, cause I'm curious and want the arrow back. One guy says go with nocturnal cause the noc will stay lit with no chance of turning itself off. What do you think? Just one in a million chance and keep using them?
Thanks.
Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380 with Excalibur Twilight DLX Scope
Diablo Bolts, Excalibur Boltcutter 150 grain.
hunter with MS

Re: First Turkey with Crossbow, but question about the Lumenoks.

Post by hunter with MS »

Could be it turn off or popped off. I use ignitors and I never had that problem KNOCK ON WOOD. I should have said congrats . I did have one bury it's self and it was never found just goes with the hunting I guess
Last edited by hunter with MS on Tue May 28, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Is there a chance your arrow is burried under forest or field plant debris?
No lit nock will be found under that condition.
With the latest wet conditions it may have burried itself up to the nock in mud.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:24 am
Is there a chance your arrow is burried under forest or field plant debris?
No lit nock will be found under that condition.
With the latest wet conditions it may have burried itself up to the nock in mud.
Most likely scenario. I lost an arrow after it went through a turkey. It's pretty much the same as shooting at the ground if you are going for a body shot .
Last night I had an arrow go low and it buried itself complete under the sod. Long grass and weeds makes it much worse
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Congrats on your first crossbow turkey. As for the lumenok I have lost one it was buried under mud and weeds.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
adam6521

Post by adam6521 »

Thanks to all! When I was out looking for it in the dark I crouched down low thinking about that exactly. Cant wait to get out the metal detector!
Thanks again!
Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380 with Excalibur Twilight DLX Scope
Diablo Bolts, Excalibur Boltcutter 150 grain.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

This happen to me last year . The new nocks fit just a bit looser than the older ones it is the slap stick affect . What I did to tighten them a bit was place a BIT of supper glue on the high points of the nock and lit it dry OVERNIGHT and then install them and my problem was salved . you also might want to put some refective tape on the rear of your arrow for some insurance. any way that what I do and it works for me .
W.M.
drywallerdave1

Post by drywallerdave1 »

But different lighted nocks. Lumenocks are the worst I ha e have used. I use ignitor nocks now. So much better
huntfishontario

Post by huntfishontario »

I shot a buck last fall with a lumenok installed, I watched it light up and sail right through to impact, and then could not see it on the ground after pass through. I assumed it had buried in the ground and would not be recovered as well, but I found the arrow sticking +/- 6" out of the ground and the nock had actually been pulled out to the "off" position. I can only assume that was from some sort of friction of passing through the ribs on exit, it did not hit any shoulder/scalpula or leg bone. Maybe something similar happened with your turkey?
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I lost the first lumenok I ever fired at a deer. I was at ground level, so I can only assume it buried under the leaves. I've been all through the area over the last few seasons and never have came across the arrow. I have had them turn off after hitting a tree stump beyond the target. I think its the bounce back that turns it off. I also use florescent vanes to aid locating them in low light using a black light.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Even with luminocks l only find about half of my bolts n arras. They are so expensive. I dont even bother with them. If I'm lucky enough to kill a buck or gobbler with the bolt or arra it's done its job who cares if l find it that's basically how l feel about them. After years of hunting l dont need a lighted nock to tell me l hit something l can find feathers ,hair or blood on my own... . That's half the fun anyway
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Lumenoks are supposed to be installed so that it requires 20 to 50 lbs of pressure to activate the light. If it is too loose the nock may light and then go out immediately. If it's too loose the battery may come way from the plastic nock and even smash and destroy itself when it hits the front nock. That been said, I often lose mine when shooting from a ground blind. All of Excalibur bows so much power that a pass through result in the arrow ending up well past the deer, often in enough brush that that one cannot see a lit nock. I've lost many a lit arrow under the grass. Your best case scenario is that you find it in a tree or stump. So if you want to recover your arrows a high percentage of the time then shoot from an elevated position.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MprBlackout

Post by MprBlackout »

:thumbup: Search past where you think it went in, with metal detector. I've found all mine that didn't skip off. Bout 2-5" under the dirt. Had to find one Sunday. Traveled 4-5' after plowing into dirt. Was 2-3" under, with bullet practice point. Detector helps a lot, finding the aluminum inserts, steel broadhead , steel target points. Pays for detector after awhile, saving arrows. And yes, lumi was still lit, just not seen. To deep.....lol
380 BLACKOUT w/ T-zone 100
Tact handle, ACP trigger, Dr Stirrup w/ bumpers
335 Micro BLACKOUT & 355 Micro camo, both ACP triggers, T-zone 100'd, all w Lumi'd weight matched Zombies
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Congrats !!
First year I never killed one with the crossbow just the shotgun never could get one in bow range !