What yardage can your shoot with first pin ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobby5

What yardage can your shoot with first pin ?

Post by bobby5 »

I’m looking to get into crossbow hunting and was wondering with these fast crossbows nowadays how far can you use your first pin or scope crosshair out too ? I know usually it’s 20 30 40 but with these fast crossbows out figured they would shoot flat out to at least 30 yards. What is the difference drop between 20 yard and 30 and what is your bow speed?
Thanks
vixenmaster

Re: What yardage can your shoot with first pin ?

Post by vixenmaster »

Usually i set my red dot at 30 yds, n use hold under n over. 20 yds i hit 2 3/4" high, 40 yds i hit 4" low. Fps about 365. If'en i put my Tactzone scope on it i jus sight in at 20 yds 1st xhair n adjust the speed ring to where i hit on the other chevrons out to 60 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
XB I GO

Re: What yardage can your shoot with first pin ?

Post by XB I GO »

I think the difference is a lot. With a 380 that is actually shooting 363 fps the difference between 20 yard dead on and same aim point at 30 yards is over 3 inches. At 40 yards its like 7 inches. Slower velocity is going to be even more difference. I think you can use your first reference mark to within 5 yards of what it is set for. Any more and you're missing the bullseye and taking the fun out of target shooting and have enough error to miss or wound an animal. You could hold over or under if you know the exact range and know how much off to hold it. The trajectory is nothing like a gun where there is a flat spot of 25 to 50 yards. With my crossbow things change as far as impact point about every 7 or 8 yards.