matrix or micro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jawnny

matrix or micro

Post by Jawnny »

Hi I am a brand new small framed 60 year old hunter. I went to the store to look at the micro 308, but was told o try the 355 which was on sale, but found it quite hard to cock. I have read since about shortening the strings. I had almost decided to go with a matrix 330 if I like it when I can get back into town. Yesterday I took the crossbow course and they were strongly suggesting using a tree or ground blind. Does that make the micro a better choice. I am pretty much on my own here as I dont know anyone with a crossbow. Thanks for any advice.
BrotherRon

Re: matrix or micro

Post by BrotherRon »

I am 62 years old, have had back and hernia surgery. The 330 would be an excellent choice. Easy enough to cock by hand, deadly accurate, and big enough for any North American large game hunting. I had the Matrix 330 and the Matrix 310 and decided to keep the 310 because it was easier on my back when shooting a couple hours in the afternoon... because of my back surgery the 330 gave me problems after about 15 minutes of target shooting.
Another option (and one I am considering) is the Bulldog 330) It is a little shorter and so would be a little easier cocking.
I am not man enough to cock the Micro series because of my age - size - and back issues. I have taken 4 deer with my Matrix 310 and every one was a complete pass through. These bows are awesome.
I hunt from tree stands and blinds and have had no problem with the small size of the Matrix line.
If you can cock the 330 easy enough I would recommend that one... It is the work horse of Excalibur crossbows. - Very reliable.
Just be sure you don't shoot at the same bulls eye twice, as it can get expensive ;)

Also, it would help if you filled out your profile so people know what side of which lake you live on :thumbup:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

It's a matter of a few inches longer with a matrix. Dont loose sleep on it. Being able to cock a bow is more important than anything. Buy the one that doesn't hurt. You want to practice and enjoy it. Even 40 fps +or- is not gonna stop you from going through an animal.Buy the matrix and it will never need a warranty issue unless you dry fire the thing or do something stupid.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I shoot a bulldog 380 and 400 but use the charger crank on each. I owned an Assassin for a short time and loved the integrated cocker; it shot great too. My advice would be to get a model that will accept the charger crank; it saves your back. My uncle traded for a matrix 330, he is in his 60's, I think he is going to love that particular model due to ease of pulling it back. If you decide on a bow; type it in the search box (before you buy it) on the forum and read the reviews. That will give you an idea of the positives and negatives associated with that model.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

BrotherRon wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 pm
I am 62 years old, have had back and hernia surgery. The 330 would be an excellent choice. Easy enough to cock by hand, deadly accurate, and big enough for any North American large game hunting. I had the Matrix 330 and the Matrix 310 and decided to keep the 310 because it was easier on my back when shooting a couple hours in the afternoon... because of my back surgery the 330 gave me problems after about 15 minutes of target shooting.
Another option (and one I am considering) is the Bulldog 330) It is a little shorter and so would be a little easier cocking.
I am not man enough to cock the Micro series because of my age - size - and back issues. I have taken 4 deer with my Matrix 310 and every one was a complete pass through. These bows are awesome.
I hunt from tree stands and blinds and have had no problem with the small size of the Matrix line.
If you can cock the 330 easy enough I would recommend that one... It is the work horse of Excalibur crossbows. - Very reliable.
Just be sure you don't shoot at the same bulls eye twice, as it can get expensive ;)

Also, it would help if you filled out your profile so people know what side of which lake you live on :thumbup:
I think you'll be very happy with the Matrix 330, it will do anything you need as far as hunting goes, and is easy to cock, and handle. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

If you live in Canada and if you deacon a micro 355. Cabela’s.ca have a package deal that contains. The older C2 crank, a soft case a stringer aid and a spare string. They call the It the Exclusive package. It’s on sale right now for $1099.99. 2 weeks ago it was $999.99. I purchased it for $999.99. I’m 62 small framed I’m glad I have the C2 crank it works great, I really need it. The folks above really have great suggestions for you. I wasn’t buying the speed I was buying for the compactness, the C2 crank saved my back. The newer crank would be a step up from the C2.
janesy

Post by janesy »

For easy of cocking. Hands down, matrix bulldog330 is the best of both worlds. As compact as you can get a matrix, and all day cocking effort
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

So I am not sixty I am 59 with health problems I went from the Exo series to the matrix. Now I am using the 308 short much easier for me to handle I use the charger crank to cock it .
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Is the 355 not discontinued the store you went to had a number of them in stock and wanted to move them so put them on sale and point the customer to them . Even when he or she is looking at another like the 308 , These people I walk away from or ask to see the one I went there to see and check out . These people want to reduce the stock and over head . All ways listen to your gut feeling . It is like a car sales men you came to look at one car and they show you any one but .
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Well, I'm over 60 :eusa-dance: and I really like my Micro 355!! Like the others say, shoot the one that you're comfortable with! Any of the Excalibur stuff will do the job as long as you do yours! :thumbup:
And btw...the "shortening of the string" on your rope cocker really does help. :mrgreen:

Respectfully,
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I'll be 77 next mo. I am 6'4" , have had 2 back surgeries , and have a wing span wider than a condor, so I cannot shoot these short bows, I have a Equinox and can still rope cock it as of now. But I don't know what i'm gonna do when I can't,,Soooo these new shorter bows is probably out of the question for me , when will excal come out with a lower poundage, longer , bow for people like me. ????

Dave :think:
Last edited by papa bear1 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Jawnny

Post by Jawnny »

Wow, Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to a different town, different store in mid June. Hopefully I can try a few there without sales pressure, and a non interested companion.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

Lucky for you there are bow shops that carry them! Not one close to me that I know of, that will let u shoot them. Not very popular here. I bought a Matrix 380 on eBay and love it, but put a c2 crank on it. Since , I bought a micro 315 for the grandsons, not too bad to cock, but will eventually get a crank on it too. they are both very accurate. I'm sure any Excel will please. I'm 63, 5'9", bad shoulder, both fit me well.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

For rope-cocking you can also try the DR Stirrup 4X4 Rope Cocker. I can't cock my crossbow with the factory rope cocker but I can with the 4X4. It is not as easy as the crank but it does make it about 25% or more easier to cock.
Boo

Post by Boo »

There's a whole lot of wisdom that's been said in the above posts. My take is that the 315 Mico enough bow to do everything in and cocking it is a breeze (I used to be 5'3" before I got old and decrepit) so it's a pleasure to cock and shoot. It's also almost tiny as is the 308. Tough call between the 2 of them.
The 330's are as good as it gets for a combination of p....
ower and ease of cocking. But the Charger crank is a true equalizer. I have a 440 and there's no way I could come close to imagining that I could cock that sucker with a rope cocker. But with the charger, it's takes no effort at all.
So if you want to be practical, go for the smaller bows. If you feel the need for speed, get a Charger. If you go the Charger route, get a faster bow. Not sure if I could do it but if I could only have one bow :wtf: , I'd get the 315 Micro or a 330 Matrix and a 360TD. :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes