Fun with the 'hot' BD400 yesterday. ...until my screws loosened up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Smong2000

Fun with the 'hot' BD400 yesterday. ...until my screws loosened up

Post by Smong2000 »

Got to play with my BD400 a lot yesterday and it feels a bit different with the new hot limbs. Stiffer, faster, and a little louder were my first impressions and had to turn the speed ring up 20 or 30 fps. It shot great at 50yds with my 2 crappy Easton Diablo arrows with their shredded Blazers, pretty easily getting an inch but they were penetrating almost completely through my target. Time for a new target, refletching some arrows, and getting some 2219's built up.
The day was almost perfect, until the POI dramatically changed. From the forums I knew immediately what to check and sure enough the screws came loose holding the scope base to the rail. I tightened them and after a slight adjustment was back in business. They were 'secured' with nail polish and that didn't work out. They are very tight now but I'm sure that some shooting will change that and then I will use Loctite and lock washers.
Love the bow, especially when using the C2. I thinks it is more accurate, or maybe just much easier to shoot than my Micro was. At least it did much better for me off hand than the Micro if that means anything. Still not sure if it's a keeper, time will tell.
BrotherRon

Re: Fun with the 'hot' BD400 yesterday. ...until my screws loosened up

Post by BrotherRon »

Just apply a small dab of blue loctite ;)
"Not" the permanent red stuff! :shock:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

BrotherRon wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:48 pm
X2
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
drywallerdave1

Post by drywallerdave1 »

I agree I have always used blue loc tire. No problems

BrotherRon wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:48 pm
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Heck after all of these yrs of goin thru that same thing. Every one of my Excals has Torx screws installed wid locktite
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

So, I call no roasting allowed on father’s day. A couple months ago, I got so sick of those little screws getting loose that actually glued the scope rail to the trigger assembly. I wanted to use epoxy but I had this glue called GoTo Glue by locktite. Its thick and looks like an epoxy when set up but remains slightly rubbery like a very stiff silicon calk. I put a bead of that along the groove between the scope rail and trigger and it HAS NOT MOVED. I don’t care what anybody thinks, I like the peace of mind that it’s not going to move. If my trigger or ADF needs any work, I’ll just replace both parts (and glue them together too). There you have it, my backwoods fix. And btw, Happy Father’s Day.
Matrix Sapphire 325 (forward riser)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #1)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #2)
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

I had that exact problem years ago with my 2000-vintage Exocet. You would think that after all these years Excalibur would have gotten that problem solved!

A big part of the problem—as I see it—is that the screw they use is way under-sized for the task. I think it’s only a #10 or maybe even a #8. It needs to be a 1/4”.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

same thing :thumbup: happens if you dry fire against the adf.
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

otisbrazwell wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 am
Been there with the Micro 355 I had. ..now I always install the screws with everything pushed as far forward as it will go to simulate where it would end up . Haven't tested that installation by dry firing -yet.

Got a fresh tube of non permanent blue Loctite and will be pulling the screws to replace with Torx if I can find some around here. Might even go with a larger diameter and retap everything so no more slop in the fit... l agree that this is something that should be addressed by Excalibur. None of my other bows ever had this issue, seems to be recurve specific.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Smong2000 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 am
otisbrazwell wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 am
Been there with the Micro 355 I had. ..now I always install the screws with everything pushed as far forward as it will go to simulate where it would end up . Haven't tested that installation by dry firing -yet.

Got a fresh tube of non permanent blue Loctite and will be pulling the screws to replace with Torx if I can find some around here. Might even go with a larger diameter and retap everything so no more slop in the fit... l agree that this is something that should be addressed by Excalibur. None of my other bows ever had this issue, seems to be recurve specific.
Every 2018 and later bow I have torn down in the last year has been thread locked so tight you almost need heat to break them loose. They now do this with every fastener.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Well there you go :thumbup: a responsible company fixing deficiencies in design and manufacturing. :eusa-clap: