Broadhead observation

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Broadhead observation

Post by XB I GO »

We have been shooting a lot of different stuff with the summer hunts and getting ready for regular hunting season. I started to notice something about different broadheads. The ones with a solid blade, no holes in it or space between blade and ferrule stay straight over longer distance and penetrate more on a foam target. The ones with space or ovals in the blades went off course more as the range got more and also they penetrated less in foam target. I think the penetration is because stuff gets stuck in the holes and stops it from trying to spin and slows it down. We have Sonic Bolts 150 grain, Sonic Liberty's 125 grain and Sonic Classic 100 grain that are solid blades. We also have Trophy Taker Shuttle Lock, QAD Exodus. G5's, Muzzy, Boltcutter, Slick Trick and Grizzly against the same weight solid blade all turned and penetrated less. This is just what I see. We don't use expandables so I don't know how they compare and I don't think any of this makes a difference on a deer sized animal. All this was shot with Matrix 380. I will stick with the Sonic Bolt and Liberty......
nchunterkw

Re: Broadhead observation

Post by nchunterkw »

The Sonics are pretty short right? That will help them fly better. Do you have a spin tester? If BHs are not perfectly aligned, they will tend to veer off target. But if it spins perfectly, they should fly straight. They might not hit the exact spot as a FP due to more drag. But if you are dead on with a FP, a good flying BH should either hit right with it, or just be low. Not off right or left.

If they are off right or left, it means it is not spinning true. The arrow is flying downrange and the point is spinning in a circle rather than a tight perfect spiral. So it will be off of the bullseye differently and different ranges. It might be right at 30yds, and low at 33yds and high at 37yds. Does that make sense? Or think that the flight path of a perfect arrow would look like a string going from the bow to the target. But if the arrow does not spin well, the flight path would be like a cone going from the bow to the target, with the point of the cone at the bow. The further downrange you go, the more off it will be.

This is why it is important to make sure you have good arrows that fly well, and to check your BH flight at different ranges.

As for the penetration difference you see....those Sonics penetrate about as good as anything I ever shot. But remember they are cut on contact and the others are mostly chisel points. The chisel points don't cut as well but smash through bone so that may be why you see better target performance from the Sonic.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Great observations above. I will also add that the larger the broadhead diameter the less penetration you will get....generally. There are exceptions of course. Eg. a 7/8" Toxic will not penetrate as well as a 1 1/4" RamCat...but as stated, these are exceptions.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I only shoot FP's to practice usin my Mech. BH's. My go to fixed is a Magnus Blk. Hornet bar none!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315