Cheaper Off Shore Products

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stepnoutnb

Cheaper Off Shore Products

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Seeing some great posts about off shore counterfeit equipment.

I’m born and brought up in Canada. My dad is the youngest child (born in Canada)of Lebanese parents who came to Canada around 1904 for a better life. My Mother is a French New Brunswicker. I’m 62 trying to get to retirement.

I would like to have a polite conversation about all the off shore products we as in North American’s purchase or not. Yes I’m talking about Canada and the USA.
Every single day in the news we here China this China that etc, etc. Who here has shopped in Bass Pro, Cabela’s, Walmart, really it doesn’t matter pick a store. Let’s look at 100’s of the products every where we shop. As consumers many of us are always looking for the best price, are we not? Myself I’m looking for the best quality with the best price. Living in my part of Canada I have an extremely hard time to actually see, touch, smell, or try out many products. I simply do not have physical access before making a purchase.
As consumers, not just like minded sports men and women, just all consumers in North America it seems saving the $$ Seems to be the number one goal.
So now let’s look at big corporations and yes the small manufacturers as well. If you go into most stores or go into our own closets, garages hunting rooms, etc. Where are the products you use made? Do they say imported, do they say made in Canada or the USA. The first time I set foot in a Cabela’s store a great American sporting good suppliers back in 2002 I was in shock most of the things I picked up were made off shore. Bass pro is the same.
Where are your trail cams made? Where are your boots made? Where is your garden hose made? Where is your Gortex camouflage clothing made? Where are your waders made? Where are your light bulbs in your house made? Where are your electrical components in your house made? Hey what about your waterfowl decoys, where were they made? What about this iPad or your computer where was it made? It might have been assembled local but the internal parts came from off shore.
North American manufacturing has moved/outsourced so much it’s almost impossible or at the least difficult to buy anything
from North America.
How did we get to this point? Two very obvious reasons come to mind. The blame MUST BE SHARED between the manufacturers the consumers. Manufacturers want to make big money. Consumers want to safe big money.
Yes there are many die hard individuals who refuse to buy off shore products but in an open free society as we have here in Canada and the USA. The majority rules right or wrong. The majority of consumers want a mixture of quality CHEAPLY PRICED PRODUCTS. The manufacturers are only too happy to oblige with off shore products.

Just a little rant for the morning.
Yesterday I just made the 2 hour drive to the closest Bass pro store in Canada. Purchased $147 of top water frogs and other lures made in China and Indonesia. Tried to buy insulated rubber boots that would stand up to sticks (none neoprene uppers) all were made off shore. My last pair were Lacrosse garbage. Most all the cloths were made off shore. No boots in stock size 11 imagine?
I am so happy to say I purchased an Excalibur MADE IN CANADA,
Please be respectful if replying this is likely a touchy subject.

Respectfully
Wayne.
papa bear1

Re: Cheaper Off Shore Products

Post by papa bear1 »

:thumbup: :eusa-clap:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I agree that we as consumers are both the problem and the solution. Continually looking for the best deal pushes retailers to continually look to put cheap deals in front of us. Cheaper always comes at a price and frequently it is quality.

But, we also have to be wise as consumers to avoid buying a fake that is falsely advertised. I recently fell victim to this problem and should have known better. Both license plates pictured below are sold on the exact same listing on Amazon. The plates were advertised as:

Craftique Arkansas Razorbacks Black w/Red Logo Laser Cut License Plate
Laser cut acrylic inlaid
Made in the USA
Officially licensed collegiate product

Having purchased this same product before, I was aware of the quality and wanted to buy another. In the year since my previous purchase, additional sellers are now selling the product. One was selling it for more than 20% below the others. If it was the same product, as advertised, why wouldn't you chose the cheaper vendor? Well, because it is not the same product. It is a fake.
If I had paid attention to the estimated shipping time on the product, I would have realized that it is coming from China. No one overseas is selling products that are Made in USA. The Chinese made plate was a poorly painted stamped metal version that even started to fade after a couple weeks.It was a lesson learned on my part. Pay attention! A better deal isn't always a better deal. I ended up buying another plate from the correct seller and paying the correct price. The product I received is worth every penny.

As mentioned, so much of what we use in the outdoors is now made overseas. It is getting harder and harder to find products that are made in North America. Maybe it would be worthwhile to open a thread to make a list of quality products that are only made in North America. Some might be surprised to learn who doesn't make the list. I know the list of optics manufacturers that only manufacture in North America is a short one.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:02 am
I agree that we as consumers are both the problem and the solution. Continually looking for the best deal pushes retailers to continually look to put cheap deals in front of us. Cheaper always comes at a price and frequently it is quality.

But, we also have to be wise as consumers to avoid buying a fake that is falsely advertised. I recently fell victim to this problem and should have known better. Both license plates pictured below are sold on the exact same listing on Amazon. The plates were advertised as:

Craftique Arkansas Razorbacks Black w/Red Logo Laser Cut License Plate
Laser cut acrylic inlaid
Made in the USA
Officially licensed collegiate product

Having purchased this same product before, I was aware of the quality and wanted to buy another. In the year since my previous purchase, additional sellers are now selling the product. One was selling it for more than 20% below the others. If it was the same product, as advertised, why wouldn't you chose the cheaper vendor? Well, because it is not the same product. It is a fake.
If I had paid attention to the estimated shipping time on the product, I would have realized that it is coming from China. No one overseas is selling products that are Made in USA. The Chinese made plate was a poorly painted stamped metal version that even started to fade after a couple weeks.It was a lesson learned on my part. Pay attention! A better deal isn't always a better deal. I ended up buying another plate from the correct seller and paying the correct price. The product I received is worth every penny.

As mentioned, so much of what we use in the outdoors is now made overseas. It is getting harder and harder to find products that are made in North America. Maybe it would be worthwhile to open a thread to make a list of quality products that are only made in North America. Some might be surprised to learn who doesn't make the list. I know the list of optics manufacturers that only manufacture in North America is a short one.

DuckHunt
......And the whole congregation stood up and in one accord shouted, "AMEN!".....preach it brother, preach it brother!

Anthony :eusa-pray: :eusa-clap:

1903 days till retirement!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:35 am

I’m born and brought up in Canada. My dad is the youngest child (born in Canada)of Lebanese parents who came to Canada around 1904 for a better life. My Mother is a French New Brunswicker. I’m 62 trying to get to retirement.

I would like to have a polite conversation about all the off shore products we as in North American’s purchase or not. Yes I’m talking about Canada and the USA.
Every single day in the news we here China this China that etc, etc. Who here has shopped in Bass Pro, Cabela’s, Walmart, really it doesn’t matter pick a store. Let’s look at 100’s of the products every where we shop. As consumers many of us are always looking for the best price, are we not? Myself I’m looking for the best quality with the best price. Living in my part of Canada I have an extremely hard time to actually see, touch, smell, or try out many products. I simply do not have physical access before making a purchase.
As consumers, not just like minded sports men and women, just all consumers in North America it seems saving the $$ Seems to be the number one goal.
So now let’s look at big corporations and yes the small manufacturers as well. If you go into most stores or go into our own closets, garages hunting rooms, etc. Where are the products you use made? Do they say imported, do they say made in Canada or the USA. The first time I set foot in a Cabela’s store a great American sporting good suppliers back in 2002 I was in shock most of the things I picked up were made off shore. Bass pro is the same.
Where are your trail cams made? Where are your boots made? Where is your garden hose made? Where is your Gortex camouflage clothing made? Where are your waders made? Where are your light bulbs in your house made? Where are your electrical components in your house made? Hey what about your waterfowl decoys, where were they made? What about this iPad or your computer where was it made? It might have been assembled local but the internal parts came from off shore.
North American manufacturing has moved/outsourced so much it’s almost impossible or at the least difficult to buy anything
from North America.
How did we get to this point? Two very obvious reasons come to mind. The blame MUST BE SHARED between the manufacturers the consumers. Manufacturers want to make big money. Consumers want to safe big money.
Yes there are many die hard individuals who refuse to buy off shore products but in an open free society as we have here in Canada and the USA. The majority rules right or wrong. The majority of consumers want a mixture of quality CHEAPLY PRICED PRODUCTS. The manufacturers are only too happy to oblige with off shore products.

Yesterday I just made the 2 hour drive to the closest Bass pro store in Canada. Purchased $147 of top water frogs and other lures made in China and Indonesia. Tried to buy insulated rubber boots that would stand up to sticks (none neoprene uppers) all were made off shore. My last pair were Lacrosse garbage. Most all the cloths were made off shore. No boots in stock size 11 imagine?

Respectfully
Wayne.
.....I agree with what you say about it is our fault for buying and being part of the problem....but there is a distinct difference (IMHO) between buying a trail cam, Gortex boots, in a store, or online; SOLD BY THE ACTUAL MANUFACTURER (and manufactured abroad under certain standards) and and the same products sold as WHAT WE EXPECT as being what we know the product should be (packaging,etc) and the CHINA knockoffs selling at 50-60% and coming in unbranded packages and obviously poorer quality and stealing from the sales of the actual company that has a great deal of time , effort, cost, research, etc. that sells the product.....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

amythntr wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 am
Stepnoutnb wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:35 am

from North America.

Respectfully
Wayne.
.....I agree with what you say about it is our fault for buying and being part of the problem....but there is a distinct difference (IMHO) between buying a trail cam, Gortex boots, in a store, or online; SOLD BY THE ACTUAL MANUFACTURER (and manufactured abroad under certain standards) and and the same products sold as WHAT WE EXPECT as being what we know the product should be (packaging,etc) and the CHINA knockoffs selling at 50-60% and coming in unbranded packages and obviously poorer quality and stealing from the sales of the actual company that has a great deal of time , effort, cost, research, etc. in bringing that product to market.....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Great replies folks. It is buyer be ware. As I am forced to mail order so much of my hunting and fishing gear on line I tend to purchase from Cabela’s, Bass pro and the like. As I said earlier so many of the products offered are from off shore.

Another Great quality product of which I own 3 of are Napoleon BBQ’s made in Ontario Canada if you pick the correct model. I love this company and love their warranty. They do have great products designed in Canada but manufactured off shore.
Weber is a great USA company manufacturing BBQ products of very high quality as well. I have. Weber kettle at my fishing camp.
A great conversation.
Wayne
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

Interesting topic to discuss. My wife lost her job wiring heating and cooling units because the company moved its operation to Mexico. They could pay the workers in Mexico, what she made in a day, each week. Was she mad, not really she went to college and got a degree. Would we like to boycott this company, yes but it is hard because most units in your home no matter the label are made by this company. Business is business and nothing will change. I looked at a Ram but it said made in Mexico. My best friend lost his job in St. Louis when they stopped making them there. Dodge is flat making some cash because Rams are everywhere on the road. For a good reason they are a great truck. I will stick with my Tundra though. I hope Dodge doesn’t take it personal it’s just business. The real issue we need to be worried about is when someone comes to live in a country but does not assimilate with the values and beliefs that are present before they arrive. There is the real problem at hand. I see this in healthcare; who suffers is the patient. That is not business but rather personal. We all buy things made all over the world, is there a difference in quality yes. I just worry about things a little bit deeper; especially as I see and hear “this is not my country or president.”
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Fer many yrs i have watched American & Canadian Companies take their products to be made to other Countries. 98% of it is strickly CEO n Corperate Greed of Profits. Its not the poor wage earners in the Company that causes this, they blame it there anyway. So i try to watch what i buy. I am guilty of buyin cheaper B-heads to try n test. I stopped that last yr. Some things out there no matter the Company its built overseas or below the Border. I support well made products n Companies that make them. I own n drive a non USA made Chevy, must be Mexican bailed out by USA Tax payers so they can bend over there own ppl. here. Toyota maybe the most made in US but even used their Trucks are out of my pocket book range
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

remember years ago when Walmart just starting to spread out, they advertised "Made in America"

"
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Interesting subject back in November I bought a new Toyota Tundra made in Texas or should I say assembled in Texas I’m sure if you go through the entire truck there are parts made in several other countries, my last browning shotgun I purchased made in Japan I’ll bet there’s also parts in that gun from other countries. I’d imagine it’s hard to find a lot of products that are entirely made in one country, when I buy products I’m looking for the highest quality product at a reasonable price from a good reputable company. I guess the point I’m trying to make is just because the product says made in the US is it really? is the complete product made in US or was the parts bought from all over and assembled in the US. I rely on the great group here for product reviews and I’ll keep trying to buy from good reputable companies.
JMHO
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

I have 2 Nissan Frontier trucks in my yard. A 2002 made in Tennessee and a 2015 made in Mississippi. My first Nissan was a 1998 I bought it second hand in 1999 kept 13 years and sold it. All 3 trucks have been and are awesome.
Here is a link from Business insider describing how many Japanese vehicles are made in the USA. We also have many plants in Canada. I love my Nissan vehicles.

https://www.businessinsider.com/all-the-japanese-cars-made-in-the-usa-2017-11
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:10 pm
remember years ago when Walmart just starting to spread out, they advertised "Made in America"

"
I thought I was the only one who remembered that!
My, how Walmart went 180 on that one.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I think at times we are our own worst enemies .
In North America in general we want to make fantastic wages but want to save the money we made on cheaper products made off shore .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus