corn or soybeans?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

corn or soybeans?

Post by grouse »

Most years when I drive through farm country I see about equal amounts of corn and soybeans growing. This year (probably because of the tariffs) there seems to be more corn than beans. Usually, if farmers can't get their corn planted by June 1, they plant beans. This year I'm seeing lots of shorter corn plants that had to be planted later.

I'm curious about the early season hunting implications of corn vs. soybeans before the crops are harvested. The year before last, I mowed a path between the corn and the woods about 100 yard on either side of my field corner tripod stand. The result was a couple of easy shots at does that ended up in my freezer, so corn can provide an opportunity. Corn does severely limit what I can see while hunting. When beans are present I can look out over the entire field and begin to get a better idea of what the deer (and turkeys) are up to. Any other observations?

Something else to ponder while wait the last several weeks for actual hunting to begin.
axiom
350 SE
ChrisK

Re: corn or soybeans?

Post by ChrisK »

We have had so much rain here that many farmers planted late or the the corn suffered from to much rain when it was planted washing lots of the nitrogen away. In both places I hunt we have beens. It is rotated that way. Behind the house they had wheat and planted the beans are just now coming up and I have had several deer to watch. I like beans during bow season but when the corn is cut I like that also. Hate seeing glimpses of them through the corn when it’s up.
I like hunting the bean stubble when they don’t till it too. Also makes for easier walking in the fields.
I have a tripod but I have only gun hunted out of it twice. Still a new thing for me. I wondered about using my crossbow out of it. It’s only a 10 or 12 ft. one.
grouse

Post by grouse »

You are no doubt right about the rain causing a lot of the corn to be planted late. With corn at $4.30 a bushel (largely because lots of river bottom fields couldn't be planted at all) corn looks like it will be a money maker this year if you get a good crop. Corn or soybeans, I love being in the stand right after harvest. Deer pop out all over the place. My main tripod stand is 15 or 16 ft. high and has a platform with a 360 degree swivel seat and a camo tarp hung from the shooting rail. I've killed a ton of deer out of it with both my crossbows and my rifle. I have one of the shorter tripod stands that has no platform and only a small shooting rail in front of the seat. It is somewhat portable but it isn't very comfortable and I feel more visible to game. I'm not a big fan of it.
axiom
350 SE
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I burlaped my tripod. I like swivel seat. I feel I would really have to tuck it in somewhere if I used my crossbow.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Around here I'm seeing a typical mix which is about 80% corn/20% beans. But, the areas closest to my stand have soybeans in them for the first time in a few years. Normally, I don't see many random deer passing through until after the corn is cut in late season. Many days I see nothing because they are all hanging out in the corn. With soybeans, I'm hoping that things will get back to the normal. Which normally means that there is no telling what I'll see on any given day.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

There's a ton of really short beans around here. All the corn in my neighborhood was planted a couple of weeks late. Luckily there's been lots of heat.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Will probably see more corn/soy/beans over the next two seasons. Farmers are loosing the alfalfa in the hay this year. When Alfalfa dies it contaminates the soil so more Alfafla won't grow. So that's why they swap to corn or other crops for a year after a bad hay year.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The only corn around here is in a bag that l drag deep into the swamp. And in suburbia it's only a ten foot patch in a garden that the deer ate a month ago.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Good chance it came from here in Indiana too
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yep. We used to have corn all over here now its houses n industrial parks. Funny that there's bigger and more deer than ever.years ago (35) we had to drive 100 miles to get a deer .Now they are everywhere.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.