Makin bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tcwild

Makin bolts

Post by tcwild »

Trying to get some components together so my buddy can make me some aluminum bolts. Inserts and nocks are they the same thing? I ask because I have a Easton Raider xx75 here and it appears that the insert and nock are the same and to my uneducated mind that makes sense not sure why your insert couldn't be the same thing as a flat nock. Next are fletchings what's your go to's for aluminum and what length. My buddy has a Blitz( something or other) jig but he has to have a regular nock on the arrow. Is there a special attachment needed to be able to do bolts with flat nocks and lastly do you put any helical on the fletches. Thanks
amythntr

Re: Makin bolts

Post by amythntr »

.....I do not shoot aluminum "arras".....they are usually referred to as arrows not bolts; bolts being much shorter.

.....inserts usually go in the front of the arrow and the nock in the caboose section.

.....as far as the bitz goes....I had one and sold it about a year or two ago....there is an adapter that you can buy for the flat crossbow nocks....

.....thats as far as I can help you....good luck in your quest to make your own arrows (as I do also)....it is very rewarding when you put together something that you made and see it fly right!

.....it also helps if you have a tackle box of parts and accessories in case to need to refletch, etc.

Good luck,

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
catclr

Post by catclr »

X2

Also bolts had no fletching.

Why aluminum?

Some inserts and nocks that fit carbon arrows, do not work in aluminum arrows.

Most use E-Z Bolt fletcher, with a hard helical on vanes. If shots are 40 yds. and less the 2" vanes work great. If shooting 40 yds. and out 3-4" fletching will do you better.(In my case this is just for fun shooting. IMO 40 yds. and under for hunting, as you never know what your animal will do.)
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X3, why aluminum? Anthony got you as far as I can as well. Good luck.

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Tom

Post by Tom »

I am not sure of the make of fletcher you are referring to, but I will add a little on the arrows you spoke of.

Old school thought was you could interchange flat nocks for insert nocks. Different thoughts on that ......
.... when using an insert as a flat nock it could be used as a puller (with a dowel pin puller), pulling out of butts
..... some fletching jigs require an arrow nock and apply 1 fletch at a time, attach a nock to a field point, good to go
..... feather fletching is 3 times lighter in weight (generally) which helps in FOC, therefore weight difference between front and back nocks do not matter as much.

....... with vein fletching, the back end of the arrow is heavier, therefore you might want a lighter insert then the front.
...... flat knocks look better in some people's opinions
....... generally, the shorter the arrow, people find FOC becomes more of a factor.

But you can use inserts on both front and back. It is just what you want to do.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Thanks Guys. Why Aluminum I guess because I've seen people on here talk about using the 2219's for bolts and I have a pile of them laying around. I never had any problems back when I was shooting them from compounds so I guess why not aluminum??? The couple that I have here have the front insert in the caboose also so I figured that was ok, Flat on both ends. Seems my carbon bolts have the 2" vanes and the aluminums have 4" so wasn't sure if it made much difference and I have no idea about helical or not. In my hunting arras I will be using Lumenoc's, is there any way to figure the weight of them into practice bolts or should it be close enough until the final hunting site in? Good tip on using the nock on a field point I'll let my buddy know and yes he has the one that does 1 vane at a time. I've seen folks mention the sk200's what's the cat's meow with them?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Aluminum arrows are what I still use today and have used them for over 35 years. I say, if you have them, why not use them. I have 2216 and 2117 arrows. My dad also used xx75.

As for helical, I always liked a slight offset more than a curved helical, but it is mostly a personal preference (many different opinions here). Since I have shot crossbows longer than Excalibur has been around, you could say I tend to stay "old school" (no need to change what works). I like feathers over viens but I like 5 inch over the short sizes.

I am not sure what the weight difference is between an insert & a lumenoc. I have heard of people in the past that added weight into screwed inserts (glue, or other things) to balance the arrows (scrape or shave off excess). But I personally wouldn't worry about it. The arrows should be close enough to have very simular flight, but POI might be different, just resight for hunting.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Thank You Sir
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I have both bitzenburger jig and a martin right helical. I bought some 4 in feathers on sale for repairs. I also mess with trad archery some. I have been repairing fletching on my crossbow bolts and bought some executioner shafts to experiment with crossbows. I use 110 grn. insert, cut feathers down to 3", so far thy shoot along with my quills and diablos. I took an arrow nock, drilled it, forced an 8/32 screw into it, then into a flat nock, for indexing fletching on bolts. when my shoulder heals I can do some shooting to fine tune. may have to add weight to inserts.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I was a huge fan of the 2219. But after shooting the zombie the level of accuracy is just not comparable. I forgot about em. When you start putting weight up front of a 2219,lm talking insert and a 175 grain head the accuracy improves a lot.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

tcwild wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:37 pm
Thanks Guys. Why Aluminum I guess because I've seen people on here talk about using the 2219's for bolts and I have a pile of them laying around. I never had any problems back when I was shooting them from compounds so I guess why not aluminum??? The couple that I have here have the front insert in the caboose also so I figured that was ok, Flat on both ends. Seems my carbon bolts have the 2" vanes and the aluminums have 4" so wasn't sure if it made much difference and I have no idea about helical or not. In my hunting arras I will be using Lumenoc's, is there any way to figure the weight of them into practice bolts or should it be close enough until the final hunting site in? Good tip on using the nock on a field point I'll let my buddy know and yes he has the one that does 1 vane at a time. I've seen folks mention the sk200's what's the cat's meow with them?
....I'm the one who thinks the SK-200 are the cat's meow....reason being I have never see fletching as strong and never seems to come off the "arra"

.....I got turned on to them from another member and being part of the "tinkering crowd" I tried them and absolutely fell in love with them....sold a good portion of my harem of blazers last year and came across another harem downstairs in one of my drawers of archery stuff....they are now on the "trading post!"

.....now I know many people use and love the blazers but for me and some other people the SK-200's are the best. They also are a little more expensive but worth it....with some of the "arra" that I made with the blazers I had fletching come off (if arra is embedded in a target) or part of it loosen....so in the long run for me the sk-200's are cheaper!

Anthony :wink:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings