Broad Head / Field Point Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Broad Head / Field Point Shooting

Post by xcaliber »

I know that everyone's broad heads hit EXACTLY where their field points hit! :eusa-deadhorse: But in the RARE instance yours does not, here is a little trick I do so I can practice shooting, and get my trigger time in. :wink:
Spring, it's all about field points for me. I adjust my scope dead on with the field points, and shoot away.

August, I get my broad heads dialed in to the maximum distance I will shoot. I dedicate two heads for this that I will sharpen if needed.

August still, I shoot my broad heads at all the distances once they are set to my scope. At each distance I then shoot a field point and put a small dot where the arrow actually hit. Now I can still aim at the bulls eye, but know where my arrow should hit with the field point. No more shooting the broad heads unless something changes! If you don't want to mark up your target, or shoot field points into your 18-1, or Block, make a small chart using a tape measure where they hit. This is what OCD Dan does. :crazy:

This gives you trigger time, and range time!

In my case, Thunder heads hit 2.25" low at 20 yards compared to field points, and left to right almost dead on, this could be on me! :lol: With the Matrix 380 that is, the Micro 355 is only about 1.5" lower, and again left to right pretty close. This is the same for both at 30 yards, my hunting maximum distance.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Carnivorous

Re: Broad Head / Field Point Shooting

Post by Carnivorous »

Great idea!! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
catclr

Post by catclr »

X3
Dan's first statement is dead on. ha ha!! It really doesn't matter that your field points and broadheads don't hit the same hole.:eusa-violin: The important thing is your broadheads are sighted in to your scope, before hunting season. :thumbup:
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

catclr wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:25 am
X3
Dan's first statement is dead on. ha ha!! It really doesn't matter that your field points and broadheads don't hit the same hole.:eusa-violin: The important thing is your broadheads are sighted in to your scope, before hunting season. :thumbup:
Absolutely!! Check every arrow you plan to hunt with. Try a different vane in the channel if you have a flyer. Try swapping BHs on 2 arrows if you have a flyer. I number all my arrows too so I can keep them straight. And mark which vane goes in the rail with silver Sharpie - easier to see at dawn and dusk.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Great timely post. I’m getting ready to sight in my broad heads for the first time.
Wayne