ADJUSTING Boltcutter B.A.T. 150 Grain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stepnoutnb

ADJUSTING Boltcutter B.A.T. 150 Grain

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Ok, so likely if you’ve read any of my posts you know I’m older and inexperienced and my Micro 355 is my first Crossbow. Well the day I ordered the bow I also ordered the Boltcutter B.A.T. 150 Grain. I also have a package of replacement blades.
Now is the time to prepare, test and practice with my new broadheads. So unless something goes crazy wrong with these Boltcutters this is what I’m going to use. I’ve read countless reviews, forum posts and watched so many videos on the pros and cons of fixed versus mechanical broadheads I’m satisfied with my initial purchase of the Boltcutter BAT’s. I’ve decided the best thing for me is to make the best ethical shot at the shortest distance I’m comfortable with (as most do).

I’ve seen some questionable archery shots taken on YouTube videos. I’m not talking a misjudged distance type of shot. I’m talking about bad angles and extremely long shots, trying to weave an arrow through a crazy thicket just to get a camera kill. Yes I know the camera is never inline with what the hunter is seeing but still there are a few things I have to wonder about. Yes I know not every hunter is proficient at making extreme shots and these questionable shots are indeed the EXCEPTION I’m glad to say.
Wow I’ve gotten way off my own topic.
I am about to adjust my BAT broadheads, I will read and follow the instructions. As I should.
Here are the questions.
Is there a video anywhere showing the proper set up of these broadheads?
Is it really necessary to tune these to the vanes? I’ve read different opinions on this.
Thanks in advance.
Wayne
janesy

Re: ADJUSTING Boltcutter B.A.T. 150 Grain

Post by janesy »

In my experience with BAT equipt Broadhead, shooting targets only, they do not increase accuracy at normal hunting distances. I find them to be esthetically pleasing to have the blades lined up with the fletching, but functional I found no difference .

With that said, I believe the Bolt Cutter to be an extremely underrated Broadhead, target penetration and accuracy where very high. However I do believe the do not get the respect they deserve because the are labelled as a "stock" Excalibur item. And aftermarket products often offer more marketing and advertising to try their products.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

janesy wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 am
In my experience with BAT equipt Broadhead, shooting targets only, they do not increase accuracy at normal hunting distances. I find them to be esthetically pleasing to have the blades lined up with the fletching, but functional I found no difference .

With that said, I believe the Bolt Cutter to be an extremely underrated Broadhead, target penetration and accuracy where very high. However I do believe the do not get the respect they deserve because the are labelled as a "stock" Excalibur item. And aftermarket products often offer more marketing and advertising to try their products.
Thanks, I believe I read that adjusting the bats made little difference somewhere as well. Maybe I’ll just give them a try as is and work from there. Where I’ll be hunting for the first time in 15 years the shot will be 20-25 yards.
Wayne
catclr

Post by catclr »

Make sure to spin test your arrows to make sure no wobble at the broadhead end. If there is, your head is not in line with the shaft.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

My experience with boltcutter is indexing is pointless. Just adjust em all the same. I would probably line em up with the vanes.
Great choice you will be just fine with them. Shoot them where your supposed to and every broadhead works.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

catclr wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Make sure to spin test your arrows to make sure no wobble at the broadhead end. If there is, your head is not in line with the shaft.
Thanks, I’ll be setting up tomorrow and testing.
Wayne
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:01 pm
My experience with boltcutter is indexing is pointless. Just adjust em all the same. I would probably line em up with the vanes.
Great choice you will be just fine with them. Shoot them where your supposed to and every broadhead works.
Thanks, I’ll keep it simple. Excalibur already did all the research.
Wayne
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Over the years, I found with any fixed blade broadhead that the most important thing is to make sure that they spin without any wobble. Lining them up with the vanes, will not necessarily improve accuracy. However, by doing so, it should make the arrow more streamline, reducing drag. Also having all your arrow aligned the same should reduce the variables inherent between arrows.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

ComfyBear wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:23 pm
Over the years, I found with any fixed blade broadhead that the most important thing is to make sure that they spin without any wobble. Lining them up with the vanes, will not necessarily improve accuracy. However, by doing so, it should make the arrow more streamline, reducing drag. Also having all your arrow aligned the same should reduce the variables inherent between arrows.
Thanks.
Wayne