string silencers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

henrycohunter

string silencers

Post by henrycohunter »

I own a matrix grz, been told the r.e.m. string silencer does not work on my bow.
What are my options? Thanks
georgiaboy

Re: string silencers

Post by georgiaboy »

I don’t use anything on my string. You will loose a few FPS not much but minimal. I’ve never noticed that much of a sound difference with them on so the trade off isn’t worth it to me.
All I have on my bows are the RED’s string stops. Again this is just my opinion. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

Post by Boo »

The effectiveness of silencers are dependent on your expectations and your hearing. If you're a geezer, worked on a noisy environment or shot much without hearing protection, there are certain frequencies you just will not appreciate. Silencers not only lower noise but they lower recoil. The reality is that no amount of silencing will buy you a deer. The effort is only worth it if you lower noise and shock for yourself.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 am
The effectiveness of silencers are dependent on your expectations and your hearing. If you're a geezer, worked on a noisy environment or shot much without hearing protection, there are certain frequencies you just will not appreciate. Silencers not only lower noise but they lower recoil. The reality is that no amount of silencing will buy you a deer. The effort is only worth it if you lower noise and shock for yourself.
.,... sage advice from the old geezer! :mrgreen:

Anthony :thumbup:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Crossbow are inherently noisy, and no amount of accessories is going to change that fact. So I don't worry about their noise level. However, I feel that these "sound reducers" have a place on my crossbows. Even though they reduce their speed, the fact that they reduce vibration is important to me. Having owned much slower crossbows than those that are available today, hasn't affected my hunting success rate. Therefore I'm not interested in owning speed-demons. What I do want is a reliable bow that is accurate and stays that way. It has been said that speed kills, the problem with it is that it will also "kills" your bow. That is why I build heavier strings, use heavier arrows, and avail myself with as many "vibration suppressing" devices available.

So to answer your question, string silencers do work if you want to reduce vibration, and are not concerned about reduced arrow speed.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

As ComfyBear said, heavier arrows and fatter strings reduce vibration noise noticeably.

Additionally, I found that putting an 1/8” (3mm, for you Canadians) thick urethane or hard rubber spacer between the stirrup and the rail helps keep vibrations from traveling to the stirrup.

Some wrap/coat the stirrup in rubber to reduce this “tuning fork” effect, but the inside of my stirrup is barely big enough for my boot as it is.
catclr

Post by catclr »

I have gone back to using BRUSH BUTTONS, like I used on my old recurve bows. :eusa-dance:
Someone said "speed kills" above, and that is true on the road. :thumbup:
I have gone the way of using heavy arrows, which helps reduce noise. :wave:
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I like catwhiskers tied in a knot with 2 micro wire ties on both sides. The few seconds slow dont bother me
But if you shoot it for a week then take them off you will surely miss them. They just seem to tame the bow down in a good way.
I like cats brush button idea that's a great compromise.
These old dogs rule.
I also like a heavy arra 110 grain and even a 125 head everything is so speed oriented today its ridiculous
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

][url=https://postimg.cc/Cn5SKqws]Image
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 am
Sage advice from the "Master"!! :clap:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 pm
][url=https://postimg.cc/Cn5SKqws]Image
Joe, those cable ties are meant to be used outside right? Some cable ties are not meant to be used in UV conditions and can deteriorate. I have no idea if the amount of time spent outdoors hunting will effect non UV cable ties.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

db Killer string stops, they work a little differently than the Excalibur version where as the string is supposed to press into the stops after the shot. I was amazed at the amount of noise & vibration reduction on my Micro 355. No loss in speed, and they last forever. Just saying! :eusa-whistle:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The wire ties are uv resistant they usually last as long as the whiskers do (about 2 seasons)
Boo

Post by Boo »

Ah! Good thinking!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm
db Killer string stops, they work a little differently than the Excalibur version where as the string is supposed to press into the stops after the shot. I was amazed at the amount of noise & vibration reduction on my Micro 355. No loss in speed, and they last forever. Just saying! :eusa-whistle:
Dan if you're amazed at the amount of noise & vibration reduction of the dB Killers, wait until you get your Micro Axe 340 with the SDS & Air Brakes. The further reduction will surprise you. :o

Like I stated in other posts, all my Matrix with dB Killers still sound like "cracking a whip", while all I notice with the Axe is the "thud" of the arrow hitting the target. Since I don't own any other Micro, I would have to guess that you will notice the same difference between your 355 and your 340. I'm interested to know for sure, so please let me know your findings.

Some might argue, that all that stuff makes the Axe heavier and slows it down. That may be true, but I feel that the SDS and Brakes adds to its stability and balance. Personally, initially I could shoot more accurately with my heavier and wider crossbows. Granted, using a bench rest I saw no difference in accuracy between any of my Excalibur crossbows. I've found them all very accurate.

However, the difference came when shooting off-hand. I could shoot my Exomag more accurately than I could shoot my Vixen. When I switched to the smaller Matrix, I found I wasn't as accurate or consistent as my Exomax or Exocet 200. However, with time I improved using it. Now with my smaller Miro Axe 340, I've found that my accuracy wasn't quite as good as my Matrix. However, with practice I've noticed that I'm improving to the point of almost being as accurate. I'm sure with time, I'll be just as accurate.

As far as reducing speed, having used much slower crossbows, and having been very successful in harvesting game, to me it's an non-issue.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.