New string came untwisted

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jd4223

New string came untwisted

Post by jd4223 »

I bought a new string some time ago for my Axiom. When I got ready to change the old string,I discovered the new string was totally untwisted in the package(nothing but numerous strands from both loop ends to serving). Should I use the old string as a close measurement and twist 1 end of the new string(counter clockwise)until approx same length as old string? I already have my brace height marked on the rail to keep string approx 1/8 from the redds. I know the new sting will continue to stretch while resighting in just wanted to know about twisting all the loose strands to form 1 single string...thanks.
xcaliber

Re: New string came untwisted

Post by xcaliber »

You can do that, or measure over two pins. Make it about 1/4" than the one on there and let it stretch in. Make sure the rest of the string looks sound, and twist only one end, both ends will be equally twisted, but twist Counter Clock Wise! Keep an eye on the serving, if it starts to loosen the string might be twisted opposite which would be rare.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

When I twist the string counter clockwise,does it matter which end of the string I twist since both ends before the serving are completely untwisted...example:holding the string in front of me left hand holding 1 end of the loop,right hand holding the other loop should I twist left end of loop counter clockwise or the right hand loop counter clockwise...I'm pretty sure it shouldn't matter...what do you think? thanks for the help..
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nope, just make sure the opposite end is over any type of hook, or someones finger tip and the whole string will twist. You can even pop one end on a limb if needed.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your aspect should be looking at the end, from the end. So if you hold the loop and let the string dangle in mid-air you will be looking at the end and from the end. Turn the string counter clockwise.
Dan is right, there's a very slight possibility that it was made so that it will loosen if it is twisted counter clockwise it will not shorten. I had a custom long bow that came with a string made that way. So if you post a picture of the string, we can help.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I find it odd that a flemish string jus completely untwists itself in a bag. I hope you get it back together
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

First off I want to thank everyone for their help. Boo,I read your web page on strings.. Vixenmaster I'm not sure what a Flemish String is(looks like). All I know is when I bought the Excalibur Axiom bow at (Cabelas) I bought a bow string in a bubble pack that was made by Excalibur. The packaging did not state what Excalibur bow the string was made for. The sales person stated the string would work on my Axiom The packaging did not list string length. At time of purchase (approx 4 years ago) the string appeared as one solid string. When I decided to change my old string,as soon as I took the new (when purchased ) string out of package,the string was a multitude of single strands.I figured once I twisted all the strands into one single strand,I would apply string wax which would help keep the strands together as one. I plan on using the new string as soon as I twist it. I don't plan on taking it off the bow until it's time for another string change.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Did it have dual colors similar to the below?

Or was it more like this but maybe different colors?
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Boo,it looks like the bottom string mainly tan in color..
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Looks like the original Dacron string. :think:
Boo

Post by Boo »

jd4223 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 pm
Boo,it looks like the bottom string mainly tan in color..
Then that's normal that it comes not twisted.