My Season Prep Routine

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

My Season Prep Routine

Post by xcaliber »

Guys, I know everyone has their preparation routine down to what works for them personally. I'm not talking field & woods preparations, or stand sites,etc. This is just the tuneup I do to prepare myself for hunting with the crossbows.
1. Shoot a lot. All year if & where possible. Field points only, mostly from a rest.
2. Shoot with broad heads, late summer just to know my POI then back to field points.
3. Same as No. 1 and still with a rest. I'm making sure I know when trigger breaking happens & the "Feel" of the breaking point.
4. Now I'm still on bag target with field points, but I do a lot of off hand shots on my 3D deer. Late August, our season opens October 1st.
5. Same as 4 but now from an elevated platform. I use the one at our public DNR facility with an archery range & 18' tall platform. I notice very little difference in where my arrows hit however I do notice the body attitude while holding on aim point for a bit changes where your muscles feel things. Might be my condition & age, but I swear this happened at a younger age for me. Seems small, but but if you raise up on a shot too early & have to wait it out for the BUCK to get clear, or turn, and you don't want to blow it, you better be still! :lol: :lol:
The rest is basic, prep stands, locations, gear like stands, blinds etc. Then clothes!

It would be cool to read others prep & perspectives, and maybe other tips for the youngsters getting started. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Re: My Season Prep Routine

Post by longbow joe »

I have nothing against fixed blades but since l have a number of bows its easier to just shoot the xact cut,lazer strike2,and the dead ringer extreme. The beauty is that they all basically shoot exactly as my field points so l dont have to ever resight that alone is golden. It saves a lot of aggravation. As long as l spin check they are good.
I shoot zombies with 110 inserts out of them all .but at different lengths.
Seems like every year they are still dead on but from now on l will shoot probably l evening a week by the season they will all be ready to go.
I usually just use spray window cleaner to wipe limbs etc. Wd 40 on the rail and l like limbsaver string wax.
All the strings from the forum string makers are pretty good and only need a twist now and then
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

This shooting and scouting time of the year is my favorite l have already put the boat away lm done with fishing.
If l go we will use my buddy's boat. You member what precious pup used to say fffffffff..ffffffffff. lol.
I wish it would cool the heck down already
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

morning temps in the 40's here this week... it does get the blood flowing! hunting is right around the corner.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Good luck Dan
Hope ya fill your freezer.

Dave :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You too Dave! Went to check out a new lease option for this fall, and the three of us agree, we're in! Over 40 acres of timber on several hundred acres of agricultural land with a nice creek running on one edge. This is smack dab in the middle of a huge farming area with not a lot of cover, plenty of sign so it should produce. Access is good, and I'm pumped to find this so late in the summer.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 pm
You too Dave! Went to check out a new lease option for this fall, and the three of us agree, we're in! Over 40 acres of timber on several hundred acres of agricultural land with a nice creek running on one edge. This is smack dab in the middle of a huge farming area with not a lot of cover, plenty of sign so it should produce. Access is good, and I'm pumped to find this so late in the summer.
Sounds great :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Sounds like you have a real honey hole there Dan!
Good Luck and kill a big boy!
Is your cardiologist ok with you eating venison?
Red meat is not ok with a lot of them.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

They want me to stay with a limited amount of red meat, and he considers once a week too much! Venison is ok a few times a week if it's lean. He does not like ground venison, or sausage in the diet because it has beef & pork fat mixed in of course. I donate to feed the hungry with the second, and third deer if I'm fortunate enough to harvest that many. I give some to my sister, and one buddy also. It's just me at our house that really eats it these days anyway.
Vegetables, and the Mediterranean diet is the cardiologist's advice! :wink:
catclr

Post by catclr »

What Dan and Joe said, with maybe different string wax, in my case. :clap:

Yes we all know if we shoot mechanicals, they hit same hole.:eusa-deadhorse: Now for those that are using fixed heads, doesn't matter if single blade to four blade, depending when you start hunting, shoot the fixed broadheads and get them sighted in to your bow and scope. When done you can keep shooting field points, and just know they might not hit the same as your broadheads did when you sighted them in, and it doesn't matter that they don't. Your not hunting with field points. :thumbup:
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Dan the cardiologist basically wants us to eat from the deer feeder and follow a deer around.
I modified my diet pretty good I'm laying off the French fries etc. A lot more healthy snacks but I'm not going to "unlive" my life because of the incident ......my now once a month cheesesteak or even a big mac just tastes way better now because it's a treat now not a regular item !!!!!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Good luck I hope you tag a big one
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads