Season is almost here.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Buck

Season is almost here.

Post by Buck »

22 days and counting until early bow season here in NJ. Can’t wait to see some posts of Excalibur assisted successful hunts. Hope everyone has a productive and safe season!
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
longbow joe

Re: Season is almost here.

Post by longbow joe »

One of my property owners wants us to shoot a doe first.kinda like your earn a buck. I'm just gonna get it over with l hope it's not too hot out the first day.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck guys, I’ll take a doe and be grateful. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:55 pm
Good luck guys, I’ll take a doe and be grateful. :thumbup:
Hope you do this season. How is the heart looking from your doctors point of view?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Not getting better Norm, thanks for asking. I suffered a lot of muscle damage because I didn’t get treatment right away. There is no telling how long it had been that I had the heart attack before going in. I’m living my best life thanks to God, and bunch of medication! I’m going to need a heart transplant at some point, but the doctors say it might be ten years, or ten days, depending on how much I follow a good diet, and get my tests done. I have to get minimum of 210 minutes of cardio per week, light though. I have to monitor heart rate to under 136 beats per minute. I feel great though, and forget to take it easy sometimes. I can rope cock my 380, but shouldn’t, so I don’t. Walking slowly these days, but at least I’m getting there!

Dan
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Oh, picked up one of those hitch hoists for the truck too, cannot even think about picking up a deer and putting it in the truck!
Thanks Robert for the picture of your hoist, seems to be pretty good!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Buddy Jeff has one of those hoists and I wish I would have borrowed it recently.

The best gift you can give your family is to take care of yourself. Hearing that you have embraced a healthy eating plan and physical activity will pay dividends , I assure you of that.

Your outlook is positive my friend, carry on.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Yes it is! Either this weekend or next, I'll be going out for my final checks before opening day. I'll take the weed whacker and knock down the weeds on the trail up the mountain so the morning dew doesn't have our feet wet on the way to our stands. Then I've got to hang a fresh HSS Lifeline on my highest stand. Then one last check of the trail cams and all we need is Sept 7th to arrive.

Northern VA where I hunt has had earn-a-buck for a while now. We have to kill doe #2 before buck #2, and doe #3 before buck #3. The first deer can be either sex, assuming its buck season. You can buy bonus doe tags in packs of six until your sick of them and there is no daily limit. Fortunately, they have an early antlerless only gun (or archery) season in September that lasts until bow season. Its the perfect time to put a doe or three in the freezer to free up a buck tag or two.

Good luck to all this season.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Its the perfect time to put a doe or three in the freezer to free up a buck tag or two.
The deer in your area must be as thick as sheep and considered nuisances :shock:
Here in Ontario, buying a licence only guarantees the opportunity to try to harvest one (1) Buck. To shoot a doe, one has to enter a lottery, then if successful, one has the choice of either harvesting one buck or one doe. A second deer tag might be available, but only in the WMUs which the Ministry deems can support the extra hunting pressure.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

ComfyBear wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:54 pm
Its the perfect time to put a doe or three in the freezer to free up a buck tag or two.
The deer in your area must be as thick as sheep and considered nuisances :shock:
Here in Ontario, buying a licence only guarantees the opportunity to try to harvest one (1) Buck. To shoot a doe, one has to enter a lottery, then if successful, one has the choice of either harvesting one buck or one doe. A second deer tag might be available, but only in the WMUs which the Ministry deems can support the extra hunting pressure.
Lou, they are a nuisance in many states, and certainly in the mid west. Indiana DNR does a census by county to determine how many "Bonus" doe permits will be allowed per county, and Indiana residents can take up to 8 bonus deer each. If the county they hunt only allows 4, they must hunt another county to fill more tags. I have said this many times here, Indiana has great hunting opportunities, and the non-resident tags are available, and reasonable. Michigan is fairly priced with a lot of opportunities as well for non-residents.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Lou, they are a nuisance in many states, and certainly in the mid west. Indiana DNR does a census by county to determine how many "Bonus" doe permits will be allowed per county, and Indiana residents can take up to 8 bonus deer each. If the county they hunt only allows 4, they must hunt another county to fill more tags. I have said this many times here, Indiana has great hunting opportunities, and the non-resident tags are available, and reasonable. Michigan is fairly priced with a lot of opportunities as well for non-residents.
That's nice to know. Back in 1999, I drove down to Pennsylvania, for a deer hunt, with a couple of friends. However in this stage of my life, as I stated in another post, trips, hunting or otherwise, don't do as much as they did for me in the past.
Now I like to stick close to my comfy home. :wink: and hunt my own property with one of my son-inlaws. I got three, but only one hunts with me, otherwise I might have needed to buy more Excaliburs. :lol:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

ComfyBear wrote:
For some years the harvest for Loudoun County, VA exceeded 7000 deer per year. With over 400K people in the county, deer/auto collisions were/are frequent. The VA DNR does a good job of trying to manage the herd to avoid conflict. It is slowly working. In 2013 there were 7619 deer killed and it has dropped to 4537 last season. We can see the difference, but there are still plenty of deer. I have noticed that larger bucks seem more scarce. I'm not sure about other locations, but 60% of the harvest here are does. I'd much rather see a mature doe than a six point. :thumbup:
ComfyBear wrote:
...one has the choice of either harvesting one buck or one doe.
I'd have to move. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Froghunter

Post by Froghunter »

Starts 1st of September and 155 days to hunt with a crossbow! With a Delaware deer license you are aloud to harvest four does (you can purchase more tags) and one buck (you can purchase one more buck tag for the season, but it has to be a quality buck)

Looking Forward to the Deer Season!

Good Hunting!
Deerhide Brown Vixen, Vari Zone Scope, Flemish String,
GT Swift Pro 18”, 110 Grain Insert

Silent Night (308 Short), Dead Zone Scope, Flemish String, B.E. Zombie Slayers 15”, 110 Grain Insert

😎
janesy

Post by janesy »

One and done.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

janesy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:02 pm
One and done.
Yup same here . A few years ago I could get 3 tags but for some unknown reason down to 1 now. I still see the same amount of deer but I guess our MNR knows best :lol: :crazy:

Bonus is I leave for Nebraska on the week end with 3 tags in my pocket :D

Good luck excaliber remember as we get more mature we do things smarter not harder lol

I remember the old days moose hunting when I would throw a quarter over my shoulder and hike to the boat not no mo !!