flightattendant100

Re: Hunting platform

Post by flightattendant100 »

Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am
Species8472 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
100% Western Red Cedar:

10 inch concrete sonotubes on each corner 5 feet into the ground.

Now going on 11 years old and have not touched them since (structurally) they went in and they are as solid as the day they were built.

Just because it is on concrete doesn't mean that it will be safe and OK from decay. In Ontario the building codes state that wood should not touch concrete (should be separated by foam, plastic or metal). Concrete is porous and moisture will wick up into the wood. But concrete is still better then having the wood sitting on moist ground.

janesy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:43 am
Boo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:25 pm

Too late but I'm thinking about pouring a quarter liter of that green wood preservative on the ground around the base of the 4x4s.
Wouldn't hurt to use a brush and lather it on the base of the boards. But If you can't get it on the cut end of the 4x4, don't bother. That's where it needs to be, they are only Pine timber don't forget.

On the other hand, if you cut those 4x4's at all it's mandatory.
This pic was taken July 2018. Post installed summer 2015. Nothing but air left. It's no coincidence building departments are demanding 6x6 for ground contact jobs now.

Remember that with wood, it is natural for moisture to travel with the grain in the trunks or branches, rather than cross grain. As what has been stated above, the ends of the pieces is most important to be treated.

Don, the question you need to ask yourself is ....... is this a temporary stand or permanent one.

I know that you are currently just feeling out your new land, learning it, so it is difficult to go full out and build a high end permanent stand. Good luck, have fun and most importantly, Be Safe
Tom, at Don’s age, how long would permanent need to be?😳😳😳😳.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

[img][/imghttps://i.postimg.cc/mTd44RyQ/IMG-0405.jpg my sons tree house/blind
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Here's the pic folks

Now that's what I call a "tree house"
Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:27 pm
Image my sons tree house/blind
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

that's his tree house that I didn't build when he was little. we didn't have a woods tho. I think it's 10'x16'. that tree broke off in a storm and we had to get it off. If it gets cold we hunt out of it some. thinking it's gonna be a bow hunting spot this year pretty regular, since I have an extra Excal.LOL
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

LOL, that deer tree house/club house reminds me of a similar one built by a buddy of mine in my traditional muzzleloading club.

One frosty morning in November he goes in there in the pre-dawn darkness--only to find a guy living in it! The guy said his wife had kicked him out of the house, and he had no where else to go!

Better have a padlock on that door...
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thabks guys for the suggestions! Its done other than some more leveling and placement of preserved wood as foot pads. Extra bracing with diagonal 2x4s and waterproofing all done. I now have to wait until the waterproofing of the deck dries and I'll put a blind on it.
Joe, I'd surely like to have used western red cedar knowing it will last for 50 to 100 yrs but I figure that might be a whole lot longer than I need. Besides, I can have my cheap moments! I think the cost is between $900 to $1,000 and red cedar prices are obscene!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Don I agree that at our ages, the need for extra long longevity of our tree stands, et al, isn't a priority. Even if we live to 95, I doubt that we'll have the strength and desire to endure the rigors of hunting. :wink:
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Boo

Post by Boo »

ComfyBear wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:44 am
Don I agree that at our ages, the need for extra long longevity of our tree stands, et al, isn't a priority. Even if we live to 95, I doubt that we'll have the strength and desire to endure the rigors of hunting. :wink:
Yep! However, one year we were hunting in the Sheridan area of Wyoming. We heard some crazy boom noise and had to look. It sounded like a cannon. There was some middle aged guy with a van and the rear doors were open. There, an aged old man sitting in a wheel chair in the back of the vab had taken a shot at an Antelope. That guy probably had 80 to 90 years on his clock. That was very cool to see!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

My point exactly at 80 or 90, I'm certain you won't find me in a tree stand. Like that old geezer, if I hunt at all, I'll depend on others to provide me with "Meals on Wheels" :D Do you know of any good 4x4 Vans I can use. :lol:
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Don, just saw a post on FB, your platform is not a hunting blind. It’s a “ He-Shed”! Thought that a funny!
Tom

Post by Tom »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 am
Don, just saw a post on FB, your platform is not a hunting blind. It’s a “ He-Shed”! Thought that a funny!
Paul, does that mean that don has a "new doghouse". I know the platform looked like it could hold a sofa bed, with a little solar power he could hook up a coffee maker with a timer to wake him in the morning to the fresh smell of coffee.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Ridger

Post by Ridger »

I'm looking to build something permanent like this now...

Don, where did you get the steel brackets to connect the legs to the platform?

Also, whats the width at the base with an 8x8 platform on 10ft 4x4s?

Thanks!
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can get them at Cabelas or Amazon. Not a clue what the base measurement are, sorry.
The legs are not anchored into the ground. They sit on multiple layers of plywood and the cross pieces are staked
Boo

Post by Boo »

Platform is 8'X8'. The box is 6'X6' and is set pretty much at the front edge. With a railing on the one side, I can access the front to spray or roll paint. The back has 2' to all me to stand and put a backpack on and a place to put a 20 lb propane tank for my heater. Inside is painted flat black. Walls are 1/4" plywood inside and out. The center of the roof is sealed with roofing membrane. There are 2 windows at front with hinges allowing a plywood flap to flip up independently. Inside I have a platform to put a shooting bag and enough length to have a super stable platform to shoot off of.
I used 14' 4X4s and I think my next one will be 10' high. That height will make it easier to put up and work on.
With plywood inside and out, with the exception of the back wall and roof, I've never used the heater more than a couple of times this year and only for half an hour at a time. When I have time, I'll put in some shelves.