Hunting platform

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Hunting platform

Post by janesy »

Also, "Brown" pressure treat is pretty crap. The preservative is crystal clear with a brown stain added for esthetics. It's not like green, when you cut it you can not see the actually preservative itself.
So it's extremely important to use end cut preservative each and every time you cut it.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

MY grandson was helping his dad(my son) this winter scrape some fur in their shed, Grandson had to step outside to pee, told his dad he needed a Tinkle Tube for their shed. They also have a large treehouse with one now. :lol: Boo" looks like same idea I had, guy supposed to take some logs this fall tho, will have to wait to build next year
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Do you get any heavy wind storms out your way? If so it might be a good idea to anchor the platform securely to the ground. A couple years ago out in Ontario I had put out a hub blind and thought that it was well anchored until we got a heavy wind storm and it ended up 10 feet up in a tree torn up pretty good. I have seen travel and house trailers tipped over by wind over here in Vermont on several occasions.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Smong2000 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 am
Do you get any heavy wind storms out your way? If so it might be a good idea to anchor the platform securely to the ground. A couple years ago out in Ontario I had put out a hub blind and thought that it was well anchored until we got a heavy wind storm and it ended up 10 feet up in a tree torn up pretty good. I have seen travel and house trailers tipped over by wind over here in Vermont on several occasions.
X2 on the anchor. A "T" post at each corner wired off to the legs and guy wires from top corners to something at ground level (base of trees etc.). The braces look great. You have it triangulated so should be stout.....8x8??? Dang Boo, you gonna move in? 8) From hunting in a "shooting house "type blind for years, if you put glass windows in it, if sun is out, you can stay nice and warm even in fairly cold weather. Looks great, but it will spoil you shortly. you wont want to go sit in a ladder or pop-up. The shooting houses are too nice and comfy. Setting up stands and working before season is one of my fave things to do hunting. Have fun
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The best anchor is a TREE. Back in 2003, a friend and I started building several tree stand platforms. Most were built in the trees. However, one particular one that we constructed was from the ground up. It was 15 feet high and had three (3) legs, each made up of 2 spliced 2"x4"x8'. For the fourth leg we used an adjacent tree. We cross-braced the three legs and added railings and a roof. It turn out to be as sturdy as the "Rock of Gibraltar", well I might be stretching that a bit, :wink: but I used it up until 2013, which was the last time I hunted that property. For all I know, it might still be standing and as strong as ever.

So, Don, if you need the help of a "master builder" :mrgreen: don't be afraid to ask. :wink:

Here's a pic of one of my latest handy work.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Geeze boo ...that's a forest fire tower. How about baby steps and start out with a doghouse blind and work your way up.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

If the stand hasn’t been up long, and the wood is still pretty dry, as a chemical engineer I’d suggest painting all the boards that make ground contact.

Modern “treated lumber” isn’t nearly as rot-resistant as the old stuff. Government regulations have removed all the effective wood preservatives from treated lumber.
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:32 pm
Geeze boo ...that's a forest fire tower. How about baby steps and start out with a doghouse blind and work your way up.
It's only 10' high. I have a few pop up blinds and a few 5 hub blinds. The plan is to put a 6' high five hub blind with a 5'x5' foot print on it. If the land is as good as I think it is, I'll put a solid box blind on it next yr.
Below is a shed I found. The shed has only 4 points but it has some good mass.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

nchunter wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:07 pm
If the stand hasn’t been up long, and the wood is still pretty dry, as a chemical engineer I’d suggest painting all the boards that make ground contact.

Modern “treated lumber” isn’t nearly as rot-resistant as the old stuff. Government regulations have removed all the effective wood preservatives from treated lumber.
Good advice, most PT is not rated for ground contact as it is. The 4x4 should be, but marginal at best.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:16 pm
nchunter wrote:

Good advice, most PT is not rated for ground contact as it is. The 4x4 should be, but marginal at best.
Too late but I'm thinking about pouring a quarter liter of that green wood preservative on the ground around the base of the 4x4s.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Too late but I'm thinking about pouring a quarter liter of that green wood preservative on the ground around the base of the 4x4s.
Don it can't hurt, but I've been building stands for years, using plain old SPF 2x4s, the stands and the ladders, whose feet sit on the ground have lasted for years, (through wind, rain and snow) with little ill effects.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

100% Western Red Cedar:

10 inch concrete sonotubes on each corner 5 feet into the ground.

Now going on 11 years old and have not touched them since (structurally) they went in and they are as solid as the day they were built.

I have two of them and they are 12 feet high. Have taken 15+ deer from them in the last 10 years. This is the other one with a blind on top:

Only addition since they were built is a swing out crane/gantry with a winch for moving gear up/down for extended stays.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:25 pm
janesy wrote:
nchunter wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to use a brush and lather it on the base of the boards. But If you can't get it on the cut end of the 4x4, don't bother. That's where it needs to be, they are only Pine timber don't forget.

On the other hand, if you cut those 4x4's at all it's mandatory.
This pic was taken July 2018. Post installed summer 2015. Nothing but air left. It's no coincidence building departments are demanding 6x6 for ground contact jobs now.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yep some rustoleum or preserved wood coating will go a long way for sure .even if it's only sitting on the top of the ground.
People forget that when you cut that exposed end is not the same as the rest.
Good luck with it ,looks like a very comfy dwelling. ....and warm n dry.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Species8472 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
100% Western Red Cedar:

10 inch concrete sonotubes on each corner 5 feet into the ground.

Now going on 11 years old and have not touched them since (structurally) they went in and they are as solid as the day they were built.

Just because it is on concrete doesn't mean that it will be safe and OK from decay. In Ontario the building codes state that wood should not touch concrete (should be separated by foam, plastic or metal). Concrete is porous and moisture will wick up into the wood. But concrete is still better then having the wood sitting on moist ground.

janesy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:43 am
Boo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:25 pm
janesy wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to use a brush and lather it on the base of the boards. But If you can't get it on the cut end of the 4x4, don't bother. That's where it needs to be, they are only Pine timber don't forget.

On the other hand, if you cut those 4x4's at all it's mandatory.
This pic was taken July 2018. Post installed summer 2015. Nothing but air left. It's no coincidence building departments are demanding 6x6 for ground contact jobs now.

Remember that with wood, it is natural for moisture to travel with the grain in the trunks or branches, rather than cross grain. As what has been stated above, the ends of the pieces is most important to be treated.

Don, the question you need to ask yourself is ....... is this a temporary stand or permanent one.

I know that you are currently just feeling out your new land, learning it, so it is difficult to go full out and build a high end permanent stand. Good luck, have fun and most importantly, Be Safe
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]