Mico 335 Nightmare limb spintering

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dithian

Mico 335 Nightmare limb spintering

Post by dithian »

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had my Micro 335 cocked, and I heard one of the limbs begin to splinter. I was able to de-cock the bow before it snapped, luckily, and of course I have contacted Excalibur about the issue. Just wondering if any of you have ever had a sudden limb failure like this. It's a Gen 2 riser. The bow has never been dry fired or suffered any undue abuse. The bolts I shoot are are above the 350 gn threshold. Kind of scary to hear the limb going like that.
Boo

Re: Mico 335 Nightmare limb spintering

Post by Boo »

Wouldn't be the first time. If it folded, theres no real danger. There are some million or more strands and they just don't all break st the same time. So it's a pretty gradual process and strangely enough not nearly as violent as a compound.
Although I've never had a limb fold on me, I have a spare set just incase that I can change in a few minutes and be back in action.
BTW, 350 gr might be fast, but it won't be nearly as accurate as it might be with a 150 gr broadhead and it won't be nearly as rude either. The deer won't see the difference either.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

I had a limb on a Micro 355 blow up on me a couple years ago. Mine was more violent than yours and sounded like a rifle going off in my face. :wtf: The limb split length way down the middle leaving 2 half thickness pieces that held together at string and lock down plate. Took 2 years before I dared using another recurve and now got me a BD400 with the newest limbs and riser. It had a limb failure too but that was just a very large splinter with no drama. I love the Bulldog but like the song, 'once bitten twice shy' so it's for sale or for deep backup. It's a shame that this is still a concern, reputations take a long time to make but fortunately also have a lot of inertia and can be earned back after a while. No worries though because the warranty is great and you will get fixed up.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Welcome to the real World of short limbed stout models. I had one split last yr as i was huntin. I jus watched fold back to me. It actually sheared off next to the riser n limb pocket. Did not scare me but i was not happy, as it shorted my huntin mornin. I have had them let go at the bolt hole n twist makin nasty sounds as they split in 4 slabs. I have had them jus do large splinters, in the end its always down time, even if'en you have a set of spare limbs on hand. I don't own a short limbed model at this time, only long limbed
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Buck

Post by Buck »

I had a limb crack and splinter while target shooting last year with my 335 gen 2. After that, I took a close look at my other limb and noticed a slight crack. From now on, I make it a point to get a good look at the limbs before and after every shooting session/hunt.

Excal Service was amazing. Called them, got the RMA# and shipped the riser and limbs into the warranty center. If I remember correctly, I shipped on a Monday and had the new assembly by Friday and that was during the busy season.

I have hundreds of shots on the new setup with zero issues . Also, my 335 that was shooting around 320 before the repair, now shoots 360 +/- with a 400 grain arrow.
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Zero issues with my Nightmare. I use 400gr arrows. The only issues I have are the occasional broken nocks from shooting same spot on the target... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Buck wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:30 am
From now on, I make it a point to get a good look at the limbs before and after every shooting session/hunt.
Excellent thinking! I check mine just before hunting season. Nothing wrong with what you're doing, it just shows you're more paranoid than I am! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:00 am
Buck wrote:
From now on, I make it a point to get a good look at the limbs before and after every shooting session/hunt.
Excellent thinking! I check mine just before hunting season. Nothing wrong with what you're doing, it just shows you're more paranoid than I am! :thumbup:
Guilty of being paranoid myself. :roll:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Buck

Post by Buck »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:02 am
Boo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:00 am
Buck wrote:
Guilty of being paranoid myself. :roll:
Guilty as charged! :thumbup:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Buck' wrote:Micro 335- Closer to a 360 after Excalibur’s Warranty Service
Buck, I've noticed the above statement is part of your signature. I also read other posters stating that their Excaliburs shoot faster after they got their limbs replaced. I believe that the reason is that Excalibur has beefed up the limbs. I suppose they've done that as one of their methods to solve the limb issues of a few years ago. I definitely know that now, posts regarding limb splinters are few and far between. I suppose that they'll still be some, since I imagine some of the older limbs are still around. If and when they do, I know that Excalibur will take care of the issue.
As far as the present day limbs, I have enough confidence in them that I didn't hesitate to buy a Micro. Something that I would not have done a few years back.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

the limb on my son's 335 folded when hunting & i heard it way over in my stand! mine developed a splinter shortly after that so i had my limbs replaced as well. being 2 for 2 does not inspire confidence. anyway, i don't have a chrony but bill miquire told me that my speed would be down to around 315 with the new limbs and riser. would be nice if it actually gained speed instead. so, buck, i guess i'm a lil envious but if 315 keeps me from further issues then i can live with it (even though i paid for 335).
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Goose, one has to remember that the 335 fps that's advertised is the maximum using a 350 gr. arrow. Personally I refuse to use anything under 400gr. with my Excaliburs. I also use a heavier string, since I'm not interested having a "speed demon" crossbow. My main priority is to reduce the vibration on my Excaliburs.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Buck

Post by Buck »

ComfyBear wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:45 pm
Buck' wrote:Micro 335- Closer to a 360 after Excalibur’s Warranty Service
Buck, I've noticed the above statement is part of your signature. I also read other posters stating that their Excaliburs shoot faster after they got their limbs replaced. I believe that the reason is that Excalibur has beefed up the limbs. I suppose they've done that as one of their methods to solve the limb issues of a few years ago. I definitely know that now, posts regarding limb splinters are few and far between. I suppose that they'll still be some, since I imagine some of the older limbs are still around. If and when they do, I know that Excalibur will take care of the issue.
As far as the present day limbs, I have enough confidence in them that I didn't hesitate to buy a Micro. Something that I would not have done a few years back.
CB,

Good info, it appears that the riser was modified slightly as well. Best way for me to describe it is that they hit it with a grinder. I’m very happy with it.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

ComfyBear wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am
Goose, one has to remember that the 335 fps that's advertised is the maximum using a 350 gr. arrow. Personally I refuse to use anything under 400gr. with my Excaliburs. I also use a heavier string, since I'm not interested having a "speed demon" crossbow. My main priority is to reduce the vibration on my Excaliburs.
well, CB, my arrows weigh 408 grains so i was already down to around 315 fps. if the new limbs & riser i got from danny miller are 20 fps slower than the originals, then i'm actually closer to 300 fps. i'm not that concerned about the speed but i paid for a 335. the faster the excal, the more it costs. 315's are around $160 cheaper than a 335 on amazon. i'm only going by what bill told me and without a chrony i won't really know what speed my bow is shooting. i was surprised to hear that buck picked up 25 fps. good on him. maybe i did too. mine seems about the same to cock. as long as it doesn't fail during the season i'll be satisfied. and speaking of the season, it's now 18 days away and my son is getting more pics and of better bucks than ever before. we've had morning temps in the low 40's- feels like i should be sitting in a stand, not typing at a desk!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
janesy

Post by janesy »

Goose52 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:45 am
ComfyBear wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am
well, CB, my arrows weigh 408 grains so i was already down to around 315 fps. if the new limbs & riser i got from danny miller are 20 fps slower than the originals, then i'm actually closer to 300 fps. i'm not that concerned about the speed but i paid for a 335. the faster the excal, the more it costs. 315's are around $160 cheaper than a 335 on amazon. i'm only going by what bill told me and without a chrony i won't really know what speed my bow is shooting. i was surprised to hear that buck picked up 25 fps. good on him. maybe i did too. mine seems about the same to cock. as long as it doesn't fail during the season i'll be satisfied. and speaking of the season, it's now 18 days away and my son is getting more pics and of better bucks than ever before. we've had morning temps in the low 40's- feels like i should be sitting in a stand, not typing at a desk!
If you send them the riser only then you probably have a 315. If you sent the whole bow they usually swap the rail too so you maintain a 335 model
Last edited by janesy on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme