Long limb vs. short limb

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Timbrhuntr

Re: Long limb vs. short limb

Post by Timbrhuntr »

vixenmaster wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:15 pm
I knowed i would catch grief over my post. So be it, i had one 380 Matrix that was returned because it had 3 sets of limbs break or splinter or the mag tip break off before i ever got to shot it wid the Factory 28 strand string. So yer tellin me it must be my strings that caused it but Factory strings at 28 strands don't! I use 28 n 32 strands of Force 10 a stronger n thicker dia. material than the D97. No matter what you think want throw out to members i have not abused my crossbows, i usually use 400 gr arrows on up to my 658 gr ones i use to break shoulders
I doubt its a string issue. I baby all my weapons but still get the idea that some here think any problem is operator error or something else I must admit Excaliber does stand behind their product but I want a reliable product not just a company that stands behind it.

I do agree that the need for speed and to make your crossbow into a rifle is ruining it for me I am almost hoping that they get dropped from archery seasons its bugging me that much. I bought the micro not because it went 335 fps but because I wanted something a bit easier to maneuver and carry in the woods and still be a recurve because my exomax was virtually indestructable .
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

deadeer wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:39 pm
Lol. Mike's strings are the cause! That's laughable. That would be about half of the bows out there better let go. :roll:
The fact is that we all should know that there are many variables that can contribute.
So, I did NOT say that it's Mike's strings that are the route of the problem. I surely hope not, I'd hate to think if it was. :shock:

All I'm saying is that one should strive to eliminate as many as those variables as possible.

In another post I did state the following:
Buck' wrote:Micro 335- Closer to a 360 after Excalibur’s Warranty Service
ComfyBear wrote:Buck, I've noticed the above statement is part of your signature. I also read other posters stating that their Excaliburs shoot faster after they got their limbs replaced. I believe that the reason is that Excalibur has beefed up the limbs. I suppose they've done that as one of their methods to solve the limb issues of a few years ago. I definitely know that now, posts regarding limb splinters are few and far between. I suppose that they'll still be some, since I imagine some of the older limbs are still around. If and when they do, I know that Excalibur will take care of the issue.
As far as the present day limbs, I have enough confidence in them that I didn't hesitate to buy a Micro. Something that I would not have done a few years back.
I firmly believe that Excalibur has gone above and beyond to alleviate the limb issues of the past. So, all I'm saying is that we as consumers should try to do our part. I do that by using heavier strings and heavier arrows, and being diligent when using and handling my crossbows. I would think and hope that most other folks do as well. After all, it's in our best interest, because warranty or not, failures lead to "down time".
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

janesy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:44 pm
:eusa-popcorn: I have been waiting for months for a genuine reason to use the popcorn emoji!
Lol!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

janesy wrote:
:eusa-popcorn: I have been waiting for months for a genuine reason to use the popcorn emoji!
:lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

janesy wrote:
Personally I've being waiting for the opportune time to use the :eusa-violin:
Then when it came, I knowed I wouldn't have the heart to use it. :wink:
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ComfyBear wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm
janesy wrote:
Personally I've being waiting for the opportune time to use the :eusa-violin:
Then when it came, I knowed I wouldn't have the heart to use it. :wink:
Yes while you was playing My Heart Crys fer you, i was outside shootin my trusty never breaks Nitemare :)
https://postimg.cc/w1qg6TVB]Image
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mike I see what you mean, so no disrepect , but did you know that Excalibur has since beefed up their limbs where they enter the limb pockets. Perhaps you should give the new micros limbs a chance. I bought the Axe so I'm willing to do so.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ComfyBear wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:45 pm
Mike I see what you mean, so no disrepect , but did you know that Excalibur has since beefed up their limbs where they enter the limb pockets. Perhaps you should give the new micros limbs a chance. I bought the Axe so I'm willing to do so.
We are good ComfyBear, we all knowed :) there are things that happen beyond our control. Thx but no thx, i will pass on all Micro models n Matrix models includin the BD. Now the older Exo models be good as hot buttered buscuts drippin wid honey
Half Bubble Off BD360

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mike it's your money and your decision, and I respect that. Personally I had a misadventure with my Mega 405, but that didn't stop me from getting a Matrix 380 which served me well and later a Matrix 355 & Matrix 350 SE which I currently still own, along with an Exocet 200. I also owned an Exomax which I just sold yesterday. Granted I wasn't too quick to jump on the early Micro bandwagon, so I possibly dodged a bullet. However seeing how the limb issues seem to have been rectified, I have the confidence and did not hesitate to be one of the first to purchase a Micro Axe 340.

Perhaps in time you too will feel confident enough to once again get a Micro. Until then, I know you'll enjoy using your Exo models, which no doubt will serve you well.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

Mike, just got the string in the mail today, thanks. this is my second one, the first is on my matrix 380, got some backups from another member. I don't know what to say but I would be really sad having that much bad luck too. so far my 380 has been hanging in there and hopefully the micro 315 holds out.
I got no complaints, but I can see where some do.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Strings Strings Strings... lol
If you want to know what effect strings have on your limbs talk to Boo, ComfyBear, nchunterkw...or any other quality string maker.
The older string material has more elasticity than some of the newer material and is easier on the limbs.
It is my thinking that the higher poundage limbs can use the extra elasticity that the Force 10 and other materials don't provide.
The need for speed is one of the culprits in limb failures, and certain string materials add to the problem...
more speed and shock = more problems.
I will be using a 426 grain set-up on my arrows with the BD 330 for better penetration and less string shock when I purchase it in about a month.
I will also be using good quality custom strings with a little more elasticity. :wink:

Just my .02
:eusa-popcorn:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:20 pm
Mike, just got the string in the mail today, thanks. this is my second one, the first is on my matrix 380, got some backups from another member. I don't know what to say but I would be really sad having that much bad luck too. so far my 380 has been hanging in there and hopefully the micro 315 holds out.
I got no complaints, but I can see where some do.
I really wish that no more limbs would break n all would be good fer all of he Excal owners. That is my hope, i don't really see the need of faster Excals, models from 275 fps to 370 fps will do it all. Launch some 400 gr to whatever melts yer butter in weight
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Not a thing wrong wid Force 10 material n it has elasticity, it is a a very good material. What you don't want on Recurves material wid vectran in it
Half Bubble Off BD360

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yikes iffin your going popcorn I'm going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never had a vixer string ever hurt anything but ...a deer or a Turkey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It killetet em good too . Lots of em.!!!!!!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
bcbuckblaster

Post by bcbuckblaster »

Wow!!! Thank you so very much to every single person who replied with their own personal input! That is why this site is so valuable, getting real world answers from people who actually use the products.

So anyways, I purchased the Bulldog 400 this weekend before they were sold out. I can always take it back for a refund if I change my mind before opening the package. I just didn't want to miss out and then kick myself once they are all gone. Now I have 90 days to decide on whether to keep her or not.

Also want to say that I didn't mean to stir the pot! :oops: Seems like some people have very good reasons to be angry though. I know Excalibur will always have your back, but I can see the frustration if you have had that many broken limbs over and over..... :cry: Even though it's covered under warranty, that would be extremely frustrating and time consuming for sure. That's what I would like to avoid at all costs.

Once again thanks y'all!