Flemish Twist Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dithian

Flemish Twist Question

Post by dithian »

Hi again. I've become a bit crossbow obsessive the last couple of weeks, and I've decided to try making a Flemish twist string for my Matrix 330. I tried once about a year ago and my first attempt nearly came unraveled on the bow. I've gotten the courage to give it another try. So my question is, is it prudent/necessary to add a little bit of serving to the end of the buried loop tails to help lock them in place? My string is 32 strands of D-75. I've got it on the stretcher now, and so far no signs of unraveling. I'm not interested cracked limbs being part of my learning curve. Any advice from the masters?
xcaliber

Re: Flemish Twist Question

Post by xcaliber »

My advice is to watch as many videos as possible. Then, make a string or two without worry of it fitting, or working. You want to get the fundamentals down first. Take notes! Then, when you can correctly explain exactly what your issues are, we'll help you. Sounds harsh, but PM me, or any string maker for ACTUAL advice on a particular issue, one at a time. I'll help you, and I'm sure a few others would too. You have to do the research, understand the lingo, then seek help.

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

That's sage advice. If you don't know the issues, you won't know the questions to ask.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The advice I would add is to buy a couple of strings, methodically take it apart making magic marker marks at transitions and put it back together again.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:27 pm
The advice I would add is to buy a couple of strings, methodically take it apart making magic marker marks at transitions and put it back together again.
Forensics, you would be wise to follow that advice. :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

You need a big giant airplane hanger to reconstruct something like that correctly l seen it when a plane crashed
Dr Quincy used to pull it off in a small space
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Take the above advice . I burned up the phone lines when I was learning to build strings. Thanks to Don and Dan they turned out very well . When I was finished I ended up with 32 strings " something to do in the winter when there is 3ft. of snow on the ground" I gave most of the away but the all turned out good. my advice is keep on twisting and keep it tight. :thumbup:
W.M.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

We had some great conversation too Bill. I learned a lot about you, and all you have done for hunting as we know it today in the US. Especially archery hunting.