Used Nightmare or new axe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Straight->Shooter

Used Nightmare or new axe

Post by Straight->Shooter »

Hey group, been reading for a long time here, had several long limbers and an old scorpion, but finally making the move to the micro series. I haven’t shot many but after selling off my vortex poised to buy a used micro 335 nightmare, I’ve come across different reviews on the new axe.

The used 335 is coming with a xb30 pro SR and typical “toss ins” like BE bolts, and a munchmount quiver setup for $750 cash.

Has anyone shot the axe enough to say I’d be better off with it over than a decked out nightmare?

Any advice or opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks
janesy

Re: Used Nightmare or new axe

Post by janesy »

They both have their up and downs. Altho the downs are simply differences. Outfitted evenly, with it without sound stuff, here are the points to consider.

WEIGHT. No noticable difference. Before the crowd fires up the peanut gallary( :D ) the complete axe front end including mount hardware weights 1 OZ less than the 335 including its mounting hardware

SOUND. No difference. outfitted the same, they are the same, with it without.

COCKING. Less with the 335. Don't care what the website says. The more relaxed limbs on the 335 left for an easier start to the pull, but the overall effort is a little more with the AXE.

TRIGGER goes to the axe, but here's the qualifier. Since the 335 NM has been discontinued, the chance of you finding a newer one with a 2018 or newer trigger is going to be Slimer. They really upped their game on the triggers so the axe gets the nod there.

BALANCE. again AXE. It weighs the same, but having the weight an inch or more closer to the front end really seems to make the bow balance a little better. But I wouldn't be doing any service by mentioning it's not a BD haha.

SPEED ...axe. the 335 often tended to be a tad on the low side. The Axe is hitting advertised. If you care about a handful of FPS
ACCURACY... not applicable .

Buy whichever you feel is a better deal. If you closed your eyes, you'd be hard pressed to know the difference. They are both sweet
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have had both, and like them about the same really. For what you’re going to spend on a used 335 I would opt for the Axe. I got the Dealer only model and love it. Very compact, quiet, and looks awesome.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Straight->Shooter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 am
Hey group, been reading for a long time here, had several long limbers and an old scorpion, but finally making the move to the micro series. I haven’t shot many but after selling off my vortex poised to buy a used micro 335 nightmare, I’ve come across different reviews on the new axe.

The used 335 is coming with a xb30 pro SR and typical “toss ins” like BE bolts, and a munchmount quiver setup for $750 cash.

Has anyone shot the axe enough to say I’d be better off with it over than a decked out nightmare?

Any advice or opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks
....from what I hear the AXE is the cat's meow (ComfyBear is the spokesperson for the AXE :lol: )and the price for what you get is hard to pass up....now the Nightmare, I own one (Gen 1) and it also is decked out. Has a Leupy Crossbones on it, etc....lets just say I had some limb issues more than once...of course Excalibur jumped all over changing the limbs etc....I have even gone so far as to buying a replacement set of limbs from Excal just in case...Now my brother in law is using it this season (I am trying to get him over to the dark side :mrgreen: )and I am praying :eusa-pray: that HE doesn't experience any limb issues or he will NEVER like or TRY an Excal again.... :eusa-hand: :eusa-naughty: :eusa-snooty:

....so if I was spending my first $$$ I would buy the AXE. After all it will be fully equipped and ready to hunt with....any bling you could always added on as the "dead presidents" become available....just my take and opinion. :thumbup:

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Well as we all know, in life there'll always be pros and cons in every decision we make. Therefore, one has to add up the pros and cons, and decide which outweighs the other. In your case, you're trying to decide between a used Nightmare 335 and a new Axe 340.

OK, let's compare. The Kryptek Axe ($749) comes with the SDS package ($60) and Air Brakes ($60). The Nightmare does not, but it comes with a used Hawke XB30 Pro, instead of a new Excalibur Dead Zone scope. The Nightmare comes with a black quiver, as does the Axe. The Nightmare comes with Black Eagle Executioner arrows, the Axe comes with Black Eagle arrows made to Excalibur specs. The way I see it so far, it appears to be a toss-up on which is the better deal.

However, in my opinion, the biggest difference is that the Axe is new and, while the Nightmare is used. The new Axe comes with a full warranty on it and the scope. The Nightmare, depending on how it was used, might have issues and if it was registered, the warranty will be at Excalibur's discretion.

If it was my decision, I would go with the new Axe 340, but you might see it differently. In the end, it's your decision, I've just given you some food for thought.

Edit: Boy you guys are quick to respond, I thought I was going to be the first. :wink: Anyway, the replies, so far, speak for themselves. The Axe (4), the Nightmare (0) zero. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
RobD

Post by RobD »

The 335 models didn't have serial numbers, so no worry there about "registering" it for warranty. If it was me and the price was the same, I'd go with the Axe 340 for the newer design and 5fps increase :eusa-popcorn: Now, if you got the micro 335 and sold it later, the warranty "transfers" whereas the Axe is a gray area for 2nd+ owners.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Boo

Post by Boo »

My vote will go to the 335. The way the riser bolts up to the mainframe is better in terms of wear in the long term.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I’d definitely buy the Nightmare! That’s a no brainer for me, that’s the best Micro that Excalibur has ever made! Good luck with whatever you buy!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

bigbowman wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:17 pm
I’d definitely buy the Nightmare! That’s a no brainer for me, that’s the best Micro that Excalibur has ever made! Good luck with whatever you buy!
"The best Micro that Excalibur has ever made!", is a matter of opinion. Just like, in my opinion, the Excalibur Exomag was the best Exo series that Excalibur ever made. Excalibur has made a lot of great crossbows, I suppose everyone has their favorite for reasons that are important to them.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

ComfyBear wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 pm
bigbowman wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:17 pm
"The best Micro that Excalibur has ever made!", is a matter of opinion. Just like, in my opinion, the Excalibur Exomag was the best Exo series that Excalibur ever made. Excalibur has made a lot of great crossbows, I suppose everyone has their favorite for reasons that are important to them.
I think it's the Vortex, but hey, that's my opinion! :lol: :lol:
Lou, we know the Axe is the best Micro though. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I say buy a Axe . It keeps those poor workers working there :lol:
As for the best bow . Wolverine . :) But I have grown attached to my newer bows as well .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
janesy

Post by janesy »

The Axe is certainly a great bow. If you don't own a micro, it's the micro to get. Aside from a suppressor or Assassin.
But if you own a micro, I'm not sure it's an upgrade. I do think this is the micro that will attract the most long limbers that's for sure.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Just remember price isn’t always everything. :eusa-think:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Nightmare rocks!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:12 pm
Nightmare rocks!

Your micro is taller than your Windsor corn! How are you going to feed the deer with those stocks? :lol: :lol:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme