This long range stuff is outta hand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

This long range stuff is outta hand

Post by XB I GO »

My friends invited me to go to the range with them. Their Dad drove like 3 hours to the range when there are a bunch a lot closer. They said it was the only one around that has 500 yards. I thought they were just messing around but they are sighting in far and planning to shoot deer and animals 300 plus yards away. I asked them why they don't just practice getting close to the animals and forget about the 3 hour drive and all the gadgets they use to shoot so far. What did they say? "You'll never get one like that". I shot the 100 yard range because I bought my open sight sidelock muzzleloader. My groups were about the same as theirs with their scopes and wind thing and special rest. In the end, I feel bad for my friend and it is his Dads fault. He will never learn to hunt or get the thrill of being face to face with an animal. I asked for a 308 with a scope a few times so I could shoot and hunt with my friends. My Dad says "no". I can't shoot much over 100 yards with my old rifle or my archery gear. After this trip I don't really want the 308 anymore. I like having to get close with my crossbow, or vertical bow. Even the muzzleloader rifle makes me get close. I think people should be taught to hunt and shoot the old fashioned way. If you want to shoot targets or move on to long range when you are an adult go ahead. At least you have an idea of how to really hunt with skill and experience. Really, anyone can sit in a living room chair with a rifle in a vise and a scope that tells you where to hold on the hugely magnified deer and all you have to do is slowly squeeze the trigger. I don't think it is much of an accomplishment. Made me appreciate my crossbow even more.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: This long range stuff is outta hand

Post by Doe Master »

Sorry but that is a very broad statement .
I shoot competitively out to 1000 yards . And there is absolutely nothing easy about it by using my hugely magnified scope . Wind becomes a lot more of a factor the further you go out .
Easier way to put it is . I personally do not want to shoot beyond my comfort zone .
I am not ripping on you . Just don`t pass judgement on a way person wants to hunt . As long as it is ethical and legal .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
janesy

Post by janesy »

XB I GO wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:31 pm
My friends invited me to go to the range with them. Their Dad drove like 3 hours to the range when there are a bunch a lot closer. They said it was the only one around that has 500 yards. I thought they were just messing around but they are sighting in far and planning to shoot deer and animals 300 plus yards away. I asked them why they don't just practice getting close to the animals and forget about the 3 hour drive and all the gadgets they use to shoot so far. What did they say? "You'll never get one like that". I shot the 100 yard range because I bought my open sight sidelock muzzleloader. My groups were about the same as theirs with their scopes and wind thing and special rest. In the end, I feel bad for my friend and it is his Dads fault. He will never learn to hunt or get the thrill of being face to face with an animal. I asked for a 308 with a scope a few times so I could shoot and hunt with my friends. My Dad says "no". I can't shoot much over 100 yards with my old rifle or my archery gear. After this trip I don't really want the 308 anymore. I like having to get close with my crossbow, or vertical bow. Even the muzzleloader rifle makes me get close. I think people should be taught to hunt and shoot the old fashioned way. If you want to shoot targets or move on to long range when you are an adult go ahead. At least you have an idea of how to really hunt with skill and experience. Really, anyone can sit in a living room chair with a rifle in a vise and a scope that tells you where to hold on the hugely magnified deer and all you have to do is slowly squeeze the trigger. I don't think it is much of an accomplishment. Made me appreciate my crossbow even more.
There are a great many reasons to practice long range. There are places where that is the only way to hunt. Your opinion may have been swayed by seemingly non-productive shooting session. Consider the way they shrugged off your ability to get in close, don't be so quick to do the same to them. There is skill in both theories
I think you narrowly missed a great opportunity today. Don't worry, not all 308 shots are long. All of mine have been 20-40 yards. Your time will come bud.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Not to mention XB, most people have a problem with “simply squeezing the trigger”, most get shook so bad they don’t know where they’re aiming when the shot is fired.

Keep doing what you’re doing and you will be just fine. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
rjhans53

Post by rjhans53 »

practice long and the short stuff is easy
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

X B I GO, I really enjoy the hunting with a bow, where you are close enough to see all the details about the animal. I enjoy rifle hunting as well. I used to shoot Metallic Silhouettes out to 500 meters offhand. ( there is much difference shooting at a metal animal and a living breathing animal. No ethics in a bad shot on the metal one ). A friend just recently competed in the KO2M. ( King of 2 Mile) . All are great ways to enjoy shooting. What is fun for one person may not be another's cup of tea. I admire your drive and determination to get close and use a bow and muzzleloader. That makes me smile. However other folks may get their kicks at longer ranges. As long as they aren't wounding animals, to each his own.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Thanks for the words. Oh, I really like the whole long range target shooting thing. It is amazing just how little groups can be from so far away. What rubbed me the wrong way was my friend's thinking he is smarter than a deer. He doesn't worry about wind, scent, camo, movement or noise because he's so far away from the deer or pigs. I think it might be cool to get as close as you can to an animal and then make your best shot no matter how far that might be if you were out in the woods or mountains. My friend is sitting in a big box that they park next to leaning back in an office chair. He puts his gun in a vise thing and moves IT, not the gun to line up crosshairs. I'm cool with the whole long range skills but feel bad that my friend thinks he is a deer hunter and by getting more and bigger deer than other kids he is somehow a better hunter. If he took his rifle and walked the woods with it he probably wouldn't even see a deer. I didn't say anything to him or his Dad but I got a weird feeling about it which is why am venting. His Dad is always telling everyone what a great hunter he is. I am glad his Dad is proud of him. I just think he's missing out on something bigger.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Xigo --- your dad was right for and your style of hunting on your ranch. Not to knock it. , but come on a public whttail hunt in places like Arizona. Being able to accurately and confidently take an ethical shot out to 400+ yrds. Maybe the only chance you'll get.

Most archers I know who bow hunt the open desert, are practicing 80 - 90 yrd shots.

My first and favorite rifle is a .308 rem 788. Bought when I was 15. Geeze 50 yrs ago. Still my go to rifle for deer, elk etc. Average shots over the yrs was probably 100 to 200. Most being 1 shot kills.I've taken a few out to 400. But being confident enough to stretch that if needed.

90 % of long range accuracy is optics. 5 % skill and 5 % LUCK.

Sure it takes skill to spot and stalk hunt up close shots. Kudos for wanting to get close. But sometimes hunting involves long range. It's great to accomplish that skill too!

Yes sitting at a range plinking 600 - 900. Yrds isn't really the same as out in the field try to outsmart an ole buck on his terms.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I kinda agree with XB I GO go out and shoot long range if that is what you require to kill an animal but don't brag that you are a better hunter. I used to rifle hunt and shooting deer or moose at 300 to 500 yards lost appeal to me quickly. I don't have a problem with long range hunting but don't act like your better is all I think was saying. I have a buddy that has several big deer on his wall that are rifle and then a few that are smaller that are bow he admits that the rifle deer were not nearly as hard as the bow ones to kill and from my experierces I agree !
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My young friend as you grow n learn it will all be opened unto yer eyes. When i was a young man i had 3 rifles i used to shoot crows, yotes n tick toters. I practiced lot at 1/4 mile n was fairly decent on hittin my game. I used a 22-250 Rem. BDL Bull barrel n my hand loads. I also had a Ruger 77 in a 25-06 n my Western rifle a Ruger .300 Win. mag. I have since sold all 3 through the yrs, i hunt now like i did when i was a boy up close so i can see their eyes n nose. It got to where the game did not knowed i was in the same County wid'em. Now as fer the past 20 yrs its been up close n personal. I use a crossbow a ML n an old model 12 16ga shotgun n seldom pick up a rifle
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315