Max range would you say is far enough?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Max range would you say is far enough?

Post by Boo »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:51 pm
Like I said, I usually take the shot because I couldn’t care less if I miss or wound them. And I don’t even use the term energy with bows, spears, pistol calibers, or muzzle loaders, the term is irrelevant. “Hole” is the only relevant term.

If you can hit at an extended range, take the shot.

I back it up, look how this man died, paragraph 4:

https://www.odmp.org/officer/18480-captain-john-bird
Pretty amazing to think someone could be hit at that range but not suprising that they would be mortally wounded.
That's a misprint about not caring isn't it?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

No Boo, not a misprint, I’ve neither missed nor failed to recover so luckily eventhough I don’t care, it doesn’t matter. I still believe in the electric chair and not drug induced sleep too. Death doesn’t have to be pretty and I don’t pray to “mother nature” of little “g”gods after a kill. I accept who I am, I was trained by the best, I’m a killer plain and simple. And, I hate dogs with a passion.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I’m speechless . We’ll talk off forum. .
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I hope you never need a dog to help you in any way!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Ferguson Outfitters

Hey Boo, one of my favorite hunting spots is on an Army Base here sitting right near Henry Marion Smith’s grave overlooking a beautiful ravine, I talk with him a lot, his first wife is buried there too. He was with Capt Bird in the battle. I even trim the brush around his grave. The ravine looks like it was pulled from the Ozark Mountains, strange anomaly. The grave area is mostly grown up with cedar now, doesn't look like the pic. The ravine is nearby and like you stepped through a portal.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/87484566/henry-marion-smith

http://www.txgenwebcounties.org/kendall/henrsmitbur.htm

Their sons https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Captives-Clinton-L-Smith/dp/B000LBEO3C

Some of you guys might wanna take life a bit easier, take the shot :D

A good life story below, taken from one of the pages:

“He was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, came to Texas as a young man in March of 1836, through Kentucky where he enlisted with Green's Brigade, came to Galveston and was discharged in Nov. 1836. Served as a Captain with the Texas Rangers volunteer from March 01 1839 to September 02, 1839. While serving with Capt. Bird, he participated in a skirmish with Indians near present-day Temple, Texas, known as Bird's "Creek Indian Fight" on May 26, 1839. He served with the Austin County Volunteers under Capt. Nathan Brockshire, from June 16, 1839 to July 24 1839.

Married Frances M. "Fannie" Short in Washington on-the- Brazos September 08 1839, moved to Austin in 1841. They had 11 children and raised 9 to adulthood. He helped to erect some of the 1st buildings in Austin and moved to San Antonio in 1847.

Established a blacksmith and gunshop in the County Court house area. In 1853 he served as City Marshall of San Antonio where he lived during the Civil War. Henry and his son William, worked as freighters between San Antonio and Indianspolis after the war.

In 1851, Henry traded a rifle for property in Comal County moved his family to Comal sometime in the mid 1860's. Frances died May 22 1869 and on June 14 1869 Henry married Harriet E. Savory Nicholson.

On Feb. 26 1871 his two youngest sons, Clinton and Jeff, were captured by the Lipan and Comanche Indians near the house. Texas Ranger Capt. John Sansom, a cousin, and his regiment chased the indians, but were unable to catch them. Henry got up a $1000 dollar reward for the boys. Jeff was sold to Apache Chief Geronimo and Clinton stayed with the Comanches. They lived with the indians for several years. Henry died at his home and is buried on the banks of the Cibolo Creek in Comal County on the Camp Bullis Military Reservation Property.”
Boo

Post by Boo »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:09 pm
No Boo, not a misprint, I’ve neither missed nor failed to recover so luckily eventhough I don’t care, it doesn’t matter.
I hope I understand better from your sentence. I assume you mean that you wouldn't want an animal suffer but if you get a bad shot, it is accidental and you don't let it bother you. I'm cool with that. Certainly no one has to like dogs, that's your prerogative. I hate wild cats and coins with a passion but would never want one to suffer.
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 pm
I hope you never need a dog to help you in any way!
LOL! I need dogs in my life. I have 3 and have recently put my name in for a second Malinois. Ofcourse Malinois aren't really dogs, they are part crocodile and part something eagle. Some of the attendees at Boofest saw first hand what the crocodile part is like. :wtf: LOL! I still have a mark on my inner thigh :eusa-dance: Punctures are just an accepted part of having one!
Ferguson Outfitters

Boo, you are asking me to give something I don’t have, mercy or caring for me is as foreign as a talking tree stump. I never factor ethics into the kill equation. I just do what I do with no thought other than kill. And its even more foreign concerning enemy combatants.

When it comes to killing, I don’t take uncalculated risk nor chance, its illogical. When it comes to “owning” an animal or walking it on a leash to poop, thats uncivilized.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Well this thread is officially dead.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

janesy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 am
Well this thread is officially dead.
My thoughts too. It was an very interesting and informative thread and I appreciate all of the relative info that was given.
Thanks
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well folks jus think that this is all good. No matter what a persons view or opinion or their way. We all have them, i look on the good side even of the bad side. Try to stay uplifted yer life n day will be better fer it. We all knowed stuff happens n such is life, its how we make our leminaid that matters :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

My final thought concerning long range accuracy. I think we all know that speed flattens trajectory and that speed is usually incorporated into longer range shooting discussions. However, getting the flatter trajectory can increase group size. Rarely are the lightest arrows the most accurate. With a Micro, the 16.5” arrows are a good fit for the crossbow but may not deliver longer range tight groups. Options to improve those groupings include: very low profile, expandible broadheads and/or significantly increasing foc. Another approach is to use longer arrows such as 18 and 20” arrows. Yes, they’ll stick out the front.
As a case in point, my most accurate BD400 arrow is a 23 1/2” 2219, offset SK300s , AL insert for the nock, 60g Ethics SS insert, a 125g match field point. Now, that’s an unusual arrow!!. Additionally unusual is to ever see > a 1 1/4” 3-shot 100yard Group.
So, think out of the box, use good arrow design principles and experiment. There’s likely an arrow design that will fly excellently out to 70-80 yards out of a Micro. Use great optics - can’t hit what you can’t see well.
If I were to start with the Micro, I’d use a spine indexed/matched Zombie, flat plastic nock, 92g or 110g insert, helical Blazers, and try 100,125,150g field tips and go from there. I’d do all group testing at 60 or greater yards or meters.
Good luck.
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Well this awesome and very informative thread went to hell in a hurry, WOW. Unfortunately I would recommend removing some of the posts on it before a kid that doesn't have a good hunting influence in their world reads them. But I would hope that even a kid would be shocked.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I can almost understand not wanting dogs in one's life :eusa-naughty: :eusa-snooty: ...I am one of them....I love dogs :eusa-dance: ....just like I LOVE MY GRANDDAUGHTER (I melt when my 17 month old GD calls me DE-DA) :D :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: ....but she goes home with mom and dad after we spoil her... :eusa-dance: :eusa-shhh:

....now having a dog takes a great deal of responsibility...which I am NOT willing to give :eusa-naughty: ...especially while I am still working (1835 days till full retirement)...might consider one when I do retir :eusa-think: e....

....but here is the main reason I don't want a dog....I cannot imagine the heart ache when they finally go :cry: ...I am a softy and I would be devastated ....truth be told I am a total wuss....I almost cried when my son's Beta Fish died and I had to flush it down the terlit :cry:

....don't want dogs YES....hate dogs NO....

Anthony :wave:

PS: I got enough on my hands with an Italian/Argentinian wife and a daughter! :eusa-doh:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Ferguson Outfitters

You guys thinking the thread went to hell because of a differing opinion shows a fragility on y’alls part. The love of a dog in no way compares to a granddaughter. The love one feels for a granddaughter is God’s way of preparing you for what is in Heaven. Having experienced both, Heaven is Granddaughter love multiplied by infinity. When I passed into Heaven as Paul did in second Corinthians 12:2I, I experienced no dogs there.

I retired at 39 years old too to my financial advice may differ from y’all too.

Take the shot !
Last edited by Ferguson Outfitters on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.