Max range would you say is far enough?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Max range would you say is far enough?

Post by ihunt »

Haven't been posting much been taking care of my elderly parents.

The property I’ve been hunting on the last few years with some success (deer) 2/3 years , the owner had made some changes adding new corn field etc. So I find myself having to shoot further. Years previously shooting my deers between 25 to 30 yards, this year I'm having to shoot further with my XBow micro 335 with bolts made my Boo zombie slayers with 100 gr G5 BH total weight 404.5 gr.
So my question is at what max range would you shoot a deer with the equipment I'm using? I'm asking ethical killing range would you shoot?

Thanks good luck this hunting season to all :thumbup:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
xcaliber

Re: Max range would you say is far enough?

Post by xcaliber »

I like them close, but relaxed to me is more important. Some people shoot out to 100 yards accurately, and I shoot to 50 yards accurately off hand. I hunt to 40 yards, but I hunt mostly woods. All that said it is a matter of what you’re comfortable doing, and if you’re hunting with a rest, etc. You have to decide for yourself what you think is your limit. I think the equipment will work to pretty good distance. Look at some charts that shows speed loss at various ranges and that might help.
Good luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

My opinion under 30 is best 40 would be my max under perfect conditions with an unaware deer , relaxed, not looking at me.
Other people are untitled to their opinion and their hunting topography can be vastly different than my woodland hunting in Michigan, you are bound to get a range of answers.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I agree on the 40 would be my ethical max. But if the biggest buck walked out at 50 I'd be hard pressed to pass up.

What distances do you have to shoot now?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

40 with shooting sticks.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I must take The Fifth on this one... :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

janesy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:34 pm
I agree on the 40 would be my ethical max. But if the biggest buck walked out at 50 I'd be hard pressed to pass up.

What distances do you have to shoot now?
Between 40 and 50 yds.
I know sitting down holding my mirco with elbow on my knee I can accurately group my bolts to within an 1” to 1.5” at 40yds. I've target practice at 50 but not sure of the killing effect if it's powerful enough to do the job?

Thanks for the replies.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

50 yds at relaxed deer
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

So it looks like 50 is do-able, I'll practice some more and try to keep it to under 40 when hunting.
Thanks Can't wait for the season to start :eusa-dance:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:10 pm
My opinion under 30 is best 40 would be my max under perfect conditions with an unaware deer , relaxed, not looking at me.
Other people are untitled to their opinion and their hunting topography can be vastly different than my woodland hunting in Michigan, you are bound to get a range of answers.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

20 yards is my preferred and most often archery range! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
dithian

Post by dithian »

The ethics, in my opinion, have far less to do with how accurately you can shoot and more to do with deer reaction time. At 30 yards, a deer can react significantly to the sound of the bow and the tell-tale pffffffffft of the approaching arrow. Even more so the further out you go—regardless of whether you have the skill to clip the eyebrows off a fruit fly at 50 yards with one eye tied behind your back, you can't stop a deer from trying to dodge an arrow if it hears it coming from 40 yards away. If you start taking shots beyond 30 yards, you need to be acutely aware of the deer's body language and other environmental factors. Always aim at the lower third of the vitals. Do the deer you hunt have a lot of hunting pressure on them? If so, they're already primed to respond. It's also critical to tune your broadheads. The effects of misalignment are going to be pronounced the further out you go. The deer I hunt are especially squirrelly, so I pass up on 40 yard shots all the time. Nothing will cure you of overconfidence quicker than tracking a gut-shot deer for 9 hours.

I would love to hear from the folks who regularly hunt beyond 40 yards how they do it. Clearly there is a skill to it beyond marksmanship, and I think it would be illuminating to understand what other factors are at play for them.

I would recommend watching this video on reaction time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXWUBWSszk
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I sure won’t tell you a max yardage as I most always take the shot, I don’t lecture on ethics either because I couldn’t care less. What I have found is regardless of crossbow speed there is a typical distance where DEER react to sound and can move from the point of aim. THAT DISTANCE IS ABOUT THE SAME WHETHER ITS 280 fps or 420 fps. I usually go through the lungs for a passthrough and they drop within 40 yards without being too excited by pain.

Goodluck
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

My opinion is that each individual person is the only one that can determine this for themselves. No one else knows your ability’s, experience with or knowledge of your weapon and the game you are hunting. Practice, practice, practice and study the reactions/behavior of the animals in the field that you will be hunting then make your own decision.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

dithian wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm
The ethics, in my opinion, have far less to do with how accurately you can shoot and more to do with deer reaction time. At 30 yards, a deer can react significantly to the sound of the bow and the tell-tale pffffffffft of the approaching arrow. Even more so the further out you go—regardless of whether you have the skill to clip the eyebrows off a fruit fly at 50 yards with one eye tied behind your back, you can't stop a deer from trying to dodge an arrow if it hears it coming from 40 yards away. If you start taking shots beyond 30 yards, you need to be acutely aware of the deer's body language and other environmental factors. Always aim at the lower third of the vitals. Do the deer you hunt have a lot of hunting pressure on them? If so, they're already primed to respond. It's also critical to tune your broadheads. The effects of misalignment are going to be pronounced the further out you go. The deer I hunt are especially squirrelly, so I pass up on 40 yard shots all the time. Nothing will cure you of overconfidence quicker than tracking a gut-shot deer for 9 hours.
That is the ethics...no?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme