Good Start to 2019

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Good Start to 2019

Post by nchunterkw »

Although I have not been able to get out as much as I normally do in the very early season, I have been enjoying a great year. Missed opening day, but got out on Day 2 which was a Sunday. Had a doe come into my feeder that is situated on what is now and abandoned old "farm". It's an odd spot, but being abandoned helps it immensely. Was setup and at about 6:53 (approximately) I saw a deer heading my way out in the uncut field. It eventually makes it's way down to the feeder where it finally steps clear at 23 yards. I let fly out of my Micro 355 and the deer jumps straight up. Not a mule kick, just up. I think it a bit odd but am confident. I go check things out and no blood. Then I find my arrow ...perfectly clean. I am totally baffled, until I check the fletchings....2 are partially unglued. I look some more, find no trace of a hit and call it a day. The next day I setup the same shot in my backyard and sure enough those loose fletches caused the arrow to fly horribly (6" = 8" low and right). I figure, the last time I shot it into the target before I hunted on Sunday, when it buried in there something happened and I did not notice, or...since it was the 2 that hit the scope rail, that they came loose because of that somehow. Anyway...glued them back down and everything is perfect. Don't hunt again until Friday night. Bump 2 on the way in (dang it!!) but see 3 more at last light but no shot. OK, no problem. Seeing deer every time out (not normal) so I'm pumped. Sleep in Saturday AM and spend the day with my wife, then hunt Sat night back at the farm. It's HOT. 85+ with 90%+ humidity. I walk in as see the feeder is about empty so I hike out to the truck and get a bag of corn and head back. Now I am soaked in sweat. Get the feeder all setup again which took about 20 minutes because the solar charger was somehow screwing it up so the clock would just count off minutes in seconds. Very odd, but I got it going. FINALLY I sit down and try to cool down a bit. After another 20 min or so I decide I need to clear a shooting lane to my right, so I do that, and add that stuff to my "nest" - which added a good bit more cover for me there. So I finally settle down at about 6:00. On the ground in my leafy suit in a natural blind. The wind is very very light, but is at my back. Not ideal, but I'm done messing around now. Just going to roll with it. 10 min later, at about 100 yards I see something orange /brown in the field up by that house...could that be.....tail flick. YEP! Get out the binos but can't see anything. Must be eating some acorns from that big oak right beside the house and dropped over the small hill. Just stay alert. 20 min later I see some ears at about 20yds emerging out of the high grass in the field. She comes in a bit and makes a turn away from the feeder into the shooting lane I just cleared. Broadside at about 18 yds, but the near leg in back. Ehh, I'll wait a bit. I'm twisted a bit to my right and holding off hand. Move the leg, please.....nope. Turns straight at me and starts closing the gap. Really......she keeps coming and coming feeding...clueless that I am even there. Keeps coming and coming. C'mon ...please turn broadside.....nope. FINALLLY at 7 paces she makes a turn toward the feeder but not all the way. She is so close and heading towards where the wind will give me away. She is quartered to me, so I aim right in front of the near shoulder and BANG!. GIANT mule kick the runs right past me...on 3 legs. I can see the entrance hole. All good news. Does a loop behind me at about 40 yards and then I can't see her. I give it a minute and then quietly walk over where I saw her last. I don't follow the blood trail as I figure I will pick it up there. The first spot I see is about a 2ft round patch on the ground. OK, dead deer for sure. Let's go pack up. Got that all done and carry my knife and rope back over to find her. Every 3 yards or so was a huge blood spot. Then nothing. Wait, what? I go 5 yards in one direction, nope. 5 in another direction, nope. Hmm.. one more time, she had to go this way....10 yards this time. No blood, but I look around and there she was. Over a small rise in some very thick briers. The arrow entered in front of the shoulder, went through that and exited in front of the last rib. Blood everywhere including a lot of good blood right where she was standing when I shot her. No waiting for blood. Arrow was tipped with a 125gr Slick Trick Magnum. Shot was at 6:30 and I got her all cleaned up and broken down into my deer fridge by 9:30. All in all a good day. Took a long motorcycle ride and got deer 1. Go to bed happy.
Last edited by nchunterkw on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bcxbow

Re: Good Start to 2019

Post by Bcxbow »

Congrats Keith, great story as well
:thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Sounds like a great eventful week, good job!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sweet! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Cool! Thanks for taking us hunting! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Great job! :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the harvest sounds like a great spot to hunt seeing a lot of deer.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Fantastic, congrats on yer tick toter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

vixenmaster wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:02 pm
Fantastic, congrats on yer tick toter
Very true statement. As hot as it's been there were plenty of ticks on her
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

Congrats Keith!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

Congratulations!
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sounds like a great day Keith.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Don't want to thread jack but since it was mentioned. What is the best way to deal with ticks or insects on your deer when it's still hot out?
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Well done! Thanks for sharing.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers