FYI: pulling inserts from PROFLIGHT factory arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

FYI: pulling inserts from PROFLIGHT factory arrows

Post by janesy »

Is no longer a feasible option. The new PROFLIGHT BE produced quills and Diablos utilize a different, extremely strong adhesive on the inserts compared to the previous Easton arrows. Not to mention a fair bit of it.

I attempted to remove some recently and the amount of heat the Easton arrows needed, using the heated field point, was not even close to releasing the new adhesive.

After one arrow displayed a crack near the insert, I figure there was no harm in seeing it through. The carbon arrow twisted easily before the adhesive let go.

After discussing with the local shop today .. he also reported the only way to get them out is to cut them.

I'm sure other people will try, but just wanted to share my experience
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
gerald strine

Re: FYI: pulling inserts from PROFLIGHT factory arrows

Post by gerald strine »

One of a few reasons i like Aluminum shafts and hot melt.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Just whizz a inch off and forget about it that's what l did with em. I put 110 brass in mine. Your right the glue is tenacious.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:34 pm
Just whizz a inch off and forget about it that's what l did with em. I put 110 brass in mine. Your right the glue is tenacious.
Yep, except the inserts are 1.25" long. And in my opinion, the Diablos are already too short when you get them with a 420 or 440.
They should really be shipping with 20" bows. The 18" easily allows for a boot in there with a Broadhead attached
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I specifically ordered the exo series (20") ones knowing l was gonna cut them for my matrix. I think they are a bit expensive to go and hack up but l think they are cool.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Thanks for the info I got 4 of the Proflight’s with the 440 and didn’t care for them I want to add brass inserts, so your saying the aluminum insert that’s in them now are 1 1/2 inch inserts ? I also didn’t like how they set the vanes further back what’s everyone’s input on that.
I know the zombies (429.6 grains) shot great out of the 440 compared to the Proflight’s (379.4) so I’m sticking with the Zombies until I can fix the others.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Honestly l just whizzed off 2 inches of the 20" and just trashed the end.didnt even look at it. l would take Janesys word for it.
I dont think vane setback is an issue at all.mine flew the same as a zombie.
janesy

Post by janesy »

OhioXBowhunter wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:02 pm
Thanks for the info I got 4 of the Proflight’s with the 440 and didn’t care for them I want to add brass inserts, so your saying the aluminum insert that’s in them now are 1 1/2 inch inserts ? I also didn’t like how they set the vanes further back what’s everyone’s input on that.
I know the zombies (429.6 grains) shot great out of the 440 compared to the Proflight’s (379.4) so I’m sticking with the Zombies until I can fix the others.
The aluminum insert in an 18" PROFLIGHT are approximatly 1.25" long, and weight 49.2 Grs They are close but not the same as the inserts from the previous quills. Previous ones weigh 49.7 and the machining is slightly different.
In contrast, I have pulled brass inserts from black Eagle zombie before. But the Aluminum insert combined with whatever adhesive they are using now simply required too much heat. The arrows were damaged.

I can't say whether the regular black eagle Quills or Diablos are the same, but the Proflights for sure were not worth being wrecked by the amount of heat required
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Thanks janesy when I replace the inserts I’ll just cut them off wished they would have put a heavier insert in thanks for the weight of the aluminum insert I was wondering what they were.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:08 am
OhioXBowhunter wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:02 pm
The aluminum insert in an 18" PROFLIGHT are approximatly 1.25" long, and weight 49.2 Grs They are close but not the same as the inserts from the previous quills. Previous ones weigh 49.7 and the machining is slightly different.
In contrast, I have pulled brass inserts from black Eagle zombie before. But the Aluminum insert combined with whatever adhesive they are using now simply required too much heat. The arrows were damaged.

I can't say whether the regular black eagle Quills or Diablos are the same, but the Proflights for sure were not worth being wrecked by the amount of heat required
Chris, the adhesive the use is there own, R-1500. It is available, it is a rubberized mixture and very, very good stuff especially if you follow Boo's regimen for preparation. I don't know if it is available direct to Canada, but your archery store that carries Black Eagle should be able to get it for you. Next best is AAE Max Impact in my opinion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:20 am
Chris, the adhesive the use is there own, R-1500. It is available, it is a rubberized mixture and very, very good stuff especially if you follow Boo's regimen for preparation. I don't know if it is available direct to Canada, but your archery store that carries Black Eagle should be able to get it for you. Next best is AAE Max Impact in my opinion.
Thanks Dan, much appreciated. Just looked it up, that's the stuff. It took a 20min bath in acetone just to get the residue off the pulled inserts.

Couple folks have PM'd me with successful results, and don't doubt them for a second. My intention here is to possibly deter someone from trying if they maybe aren't willing to wreck an arrow or cause a potentially unsafe situation. I should have lasered the arrow shaft, but the amount of heat applied would almost surely cause damage, unseen possibly. If nothing else, they ain't .001 anymore haha
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme