Exo Bull

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: Exo Bull

Post by xcaliber »

Sweet!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

It is a sweet bull. For some reason when I dream of a moose hunt it's always in Alaska. How is the population in Ontario, I've never checked into it. How's the availability of tags and ground to hunt on and I guess most importantly how's the cost of a guided hunt compaired to Alaska? Never even considered Ontario until today, new dream in the making.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'm pretty sure an elephant is bigger than a moose.

The bow is a Vixen. This is what Tom was jawing about.

http://frow.ca/moose/crossbow/
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

tcwild wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 pm
It is a sweet bull. For some reason when I dream of a moose hunt it's always in Alaska. How is the population in Ontario, I've never checked into it. How's the availability of tags and ground to hunt on and I guess most importantly how's the cost of a guided hunt compaired to Alaska? Never even considered Ontario until today, new dream in the making.
Central to Near-North Ontario tags are few and far between. But available. Operators near-North and up often have multiple tags available. Cost varies as always. If I was American flying up, I'd be looking at Far North Ontario, Quebec, NB, or Newfoundland. Although I'm not familiar with all of their regs regarding non-resident seasons.
As far as the population, MNR say population is down, but my eyes tell me otherwise, so I suppose it's location dependant. Land is not a problem, that we have lots of.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Newfie is by far the place to go for a high success rate. If you can't shoot one there, you aren't breathing. Not a clue about crossbow inclusion.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

janesy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:29 pm
paulaboutform wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:13 pm
That's an awesome moose......what's not awesome is gutting, skinning, boning, and packing that behemoth through that tangle of buck brush they're in!!! :shock: ....although it would be a labour of love. :mrgreen:

Paul
Too funny Paul, before I even took in the pic I noticed wet fur and thick brush. Darn Swamp Donkeys.
A good friend went to Alaska several years ago moose hunting. He got a nice moose( although nothing like the one pictured). It was a tough extraction! After he got home I asked him if he was going back next year. His reply was “ You know, I think one moose is all a man ever needs to kill!” He hasn’t been back. I think it about killed them. And I know it made a believer out of him.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I believe the advent of the ATV made a few more repeat customers for Moose . When people had to quarter and carry out it was a whole group thing that made for the one and done .
Nice looking moose .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yea.....l like shooting something l can get out myself and load in the truck myself.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 am
janesy wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:
That's an awesome moose......what's not awesome is gutting, skinning, boning, and packing that behemoth through that tangle of buck brush they're in!!! :shock: ....although it would be a labour of love. :mrgreen:

Paul
Too funny Paul, before I even took in the pic I noticed wet fur and thick brush. Darn Swamp Donkeys.
A good friend went to Alaska several years ago moose hunting. He got a nice moose( although nothing like the one pictured). It was a tough extraction! After he got home I asked him if he was going back next year. His reply was “ You know, I think one moose is all a man ever needs to kill!” He hasn’t been back. I think it about killed them. And I know it made a believer out of him.
I need him to talk to the fresh camp we are starting out now. Second year for us in 3 weeks.
I'm the only one with Moose experience, and I've been trying to drill into their heads that the further into the swamp they walk, plan on 3X the amount of time to get back out if we get one. So they had better shoot it before noon, or they are sleeping beside it :eusa-dance:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 am
janesy wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
To add to that, I got my Bull on my first or second sit of my first moose hunt. 100% fluke on my part. 100% skill and planning on the part of the other members as I would come to learn. That camp, which I'm no longer part of was extremely successful. All skill and knowledge of the area
I still LOVE moose hunting, but after that, the box was checked and I'm in it for the meat. If I never get another Bull in my life I'll die fully satisfied. I would like to get one with a crossbow though.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats to them! As Boo said Newfoundland is most likely your best spot for moose!
And as the saying goes it’s all fun and games until it’s laying on the ground
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

mr meat wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 am
Congrats to them! As Boo said Newfoundland is most likely your best spot for moose!
Yep, you really don't understand just how big they are until they are laying in front of you.
grouse

Post by grouse »

That thing looks as big as a Clydesdale! I know that after the kill of an animal this big there is a lot of hard work that has to be done in a timely manner, but I'm sure I wouldn't mind. I think I would have to buy two or three more freezers, though.
axiom
350 SE
Tom

Post by Tom »

grouse wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:17 am
That thing looks as big as a Clydesdale! I know that after the kill of an animal this big there is a lot of hard work that has to be done in a timely manner, but I'm sure I wouldn't mind. I think I would have to buy two or three more freezers, though.
Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:10 am
mr meat wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 am
Yep, you really don't understand just how big they are until they are laying in front of you.
A few years ago my nephew (25 years old and great shape, construction worker) had always said he wanted to moose hunt. :lol: :lol: .... that was until he viewed a home video that my dad, brother and 2 friends made of a fly in moose hunt. :lol:

The moose dropped about 200 yards from available canoe access, in a bog. The video did a very good job of showing the difficulty of walking in the bog with no load, then what each step was like when you had a load (a quarter) on the back harness. Also showed how drained you were when you finished getting to the canoe.

The last moose camp I hunted with (Huntsville, Ontario area) had talked about a bucket list of a fly in hunt, that was until they viewed that video ..... :lol: ...... The last bull moose I harvested, I was really lucky. It dropped 150 feet off a snowmobile trail on the side of a steep hardwood hill. After field dressing, we just rolled the moose into a terrajet trailer and pulled it out with an ATV, some places we needed to hook up extra ATVs in a train to get out of valleys ....... barely no physical labour ......

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

janesy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:33 pm
tcwild wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 pm
Central to Near-North Ontario tags are few and far between. But available. Operators near-North and up often have multiple tags available. Cost varies as always. If I was American flying up, I'd be looking at Far North Ontario, Quebec, NB, or Newfoundland. Although I'm not familiar with all of their regs regarding non-resident seasons.
As far as the population, MNR say population is down, but my eyes tell me otherwise, so I suppose it's location dependant. Land is not a problem, that we have lots of.
Thank You, good luck on your hunt can't wait to hear the story and see some pic's.