Converting a Mechanical for Practice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: Converting a Mechanical for Practice

Post by longbow joe »

I'm very surprised l shoot the Same zombie 110 brass but a 125 grain spit. As said every bow is different..my exo bows shoot a 20" and the 330 matrix and 355 shoot a 18" other than that all components are the same.for some reason the ibex ,vixen are the slowest bows but highly more accurate than all the others in terms of grouping.
I honestly believe once you get above 330 fps the accuracy suffers a tad . I also think the exo bows are the most forgiving especially with a good trigger.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:00 pm
ldock wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:39 pm
My practice spitfires were not close. I took dental floss and wrapped the blades as tight as I could same as field point. Don't leave any excess dental floss cut close and lightly burn ends with lighter. Best I remember I got a couple shots out of the floss before it started detorating after hitting the target. Hope this helps Larry
That does not appear to work with the 440. One shot and the blades are open. I used a strand of string with a breaking strength of around 120 lbs. epoxy it is for me.
....i guess for Boofest this year there will be the opening of the Boofest Museum which will contain all of the Excalibur Crossbows since the beginning of time that you have....please when you construct the museum make sure I have I clear approach with my Learjet landing on the Boofest airstrip. :eusa-liar: :eusa-naughty:

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

how about the 4 blade swat heads there $12 plus each and claim to shoot same as field point of same weight. I shot one at target @ 40 yrds hit the same as field point but blades bent (bd400) and I had to send it out for repair. is like to confirm poi like when I travel out of state. any way to glue theses?
Boo

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:02 pm
Boo wrote:
ldock wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:39 pm
My practice spitfires were not close. I took dental floss and wrapped the blades as tight as I could same as field point. Don't leave any excess dental floss cut close and lightly burn ends with lighter. Best I remember I got a couple shots out of the floss before it started detorating after hitting the target. Hope this helps Larry
That does not appear to work with the 440. One shot and the blades are open. I used a strand of string with a breaking strength of around 120 lbs. epoxy it is for me.
....i guess for Boofest this year there will be the opening of the Boofest Museum which will contain all of the Excalibur Crossbows since the beginning of time that you have....please when you construct the museum make sure I have I clear approach with my Learjet landing on the Boofest airstrip. :eusa-liar: :eusa-naughty:

Ha! In the last 10 months I've sold 4 bows, so there! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm still wrestling with myself, I should sell a couple more. Need to make room for 2020. :crazy:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:23 pm
amythntr wrote:
Boo wrote:

Ha! In the last 10 months I've sold 4 bows, so there! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm still wrestling with myself, I should sell a couple more. Need to make room for 2020. :crazy:
...yea but don't you have 4 of each model? :eusa-doh: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:35 pm
Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:23 pm
amythntr wrote:

...yea but don't you have 4 of each model? :eusa-doh: :lol:

Maybe I do but I'm not sure Karin has the patience for that. I'm getting a second Malinois so patience is near the end already. :shock:
Normous

Post by Normous »

otisbrazwell wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:07 pm
how about the 4 blade swat heads there $12 plus each and claim to shoot same as field point of same weight. I shot one at target @ 40 yrds hit the same as field point but blades bent (bd400) and I had to send it out for repair. is like to confirm poi like when I travel out of state. any way to glue theses?
Otis,
I used JB Weld to epoxy the SWAT X Mag shut with positive results using the Block Crossbow and Morrell High Roller 21 targets.
Even at 480 fps the JB'd SWAT X Mag blades have not budged after at least 35+ shots.

I suspect that a dense foam target like the RH 18 - 1 may challenge the JB Weld, especially at low temp.

I prefer to confirm as you do with the actual BH.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

ldock wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:50 pm
All I know is it works for me I don't just make one wrap I wrapped several rounds on the arrow very tightly. If it doesn't suit your fancy don't use it. Just made a suggestion for those interested.
I wasn't being confrontational, I was offering my experience with an extreme poundage bow.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

Normous wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:15 pm
otisbrazwell wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:07 pm
Otis,
I used JB Weld to epoxy the SWAT X Mag shut with positive results using the Block Crossbow and Morrell High Roller 21 targets.
Even at 480 fps the JB'd SWAT X Mag blades have not budged after at least 35+ shots.

I suspect that a dense foam target like the RH 18 - 1 may challenge the JB Weld, especially at low temp.

I prefer to confirm as you do with the actual BH.
thats what I will do and it is a r18 target that beat up. thanks
SEW

Post by SEW »

This works fairly well: roughen the sides of the blades slightly for better adherence, put JB Weld in the blade grooves, close the blades and clean off the flash, after its hard, sharpen the forward facing exposed blades so there’ll be less stress on them when hitting the target.
NAP needs to make a representative practice point like Schwacker and some others do. At longer distances and higher speeds, the practice points aren’t representative of actual Spitfire flight.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Don't forget, with aluminum heads, the bond from the JB weld or eooxy is actually stronger than the oxide and or anodize layer. If your shooting into a Rinehardt target it would be a good idea to get in the blade channel and remove the surface layer as best you can. Almost all epoxy failure involving aluminum are substrate prep failure, not the bond itself.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

When I was testing the 125 grain Spitfires from my 380, I simply sacrificed a package to do so. Banded them, shot them into targets, used vise grips to straighten the blades enough to close, re-band and re-shoot. At the end of the day I then replaced the blades and little dimple clips with an inexpensive kit from NAP. Worked for me anyway...

And those same three broadheads went on to take down a deer or two each.

BTW, the Spitfires flew within 1/2 - 1/4" of where the field points did - from 20 right through to 100 yards.
I don't test them any more as a consequence, and have yet to see any "fliers".

May have to search out another broadhead though.
Sadly I have learned my favorite Spitfires are now being made in China. :shock:
Never thought I'd see that day.
And now am kind of confused as to what to try that might work as well as these did for so many years...
Never intended to ever switch... :thumbdown:

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Boo

Post by Boo »

Matt, check out the Swatt Vector and Hybred. Norm is selling them.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:33 pm
Matt, check out the Swatt Vector and Hybred. Norm is selling them.
100 grains. Need 125 to make Big John's darts fly properly.
Will be contacting Norm as soon as I run through the 18 or so of these I have on hand.

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

so I jb the swat head last night cleaned the excess off total test arrow weighs 422 gr ( zombie). my hunting set up weighs
419gr same as the field tip arrow. shot the bd400 @ 40yrds with jb arrow and its dead nuts same as field point head stayed together
in the beat up rino target. I am happy the swat as it is one nasty broad head making 4 cuts the size of a beer can made in U .S. A.. :thumbup: :eusa-clap: