opening day delay

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

opening day delay

Post by wabi »

Season opened this morning and I stayed in bed. :lol:

when I woke up about 06:00 it was 72°F and raining. Not sure if it's age or wisdom but I'm not going to shoot one when I have to try to get it to the processor's cooler in a mad rush. I've done plenty that way in past years, and when everything goes as planned and has perfect results (shoot deer, deer dies quickly, help available to gut, load, and haul deer) it is doable, but if anything goes wrong and recovery takes a few hours it usually means a wasted deer. With the rain it's too easy to loose a blood trail, too.

Supposed to cool down some by Friday or Saturday, so I'm delaying hunting until then.
Might go set up at a distance from the food plot I'm planning to hunt and watch movement a couple times this week, though.
wabi
amythntr

Re: opening day delay

Post by amythntr »

.,,,,your wisdom is unparalleled!👍

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
grouse

Post by grouse »

I totally agree with your reasoning. Our season has been open since 9/15 and, though I'm retired and can hunt all I want to, I've just gone out 3 mornings. Our high temps. have been mostly 85 - 90 degrees and the woods is like a jungle. I'm 70 yrs. old and this is the hottest Sept. I can remember. Better days are coming and I'll work on filling the freezer soon.
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Like you I'm going to be very selective about hunting days. Wise choice Mike!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Same here too hot to hunt.
But l put up an awesome ladder stand in a sure thing rut funnel....I'm stoked imagining the giant non typical 10 point that l got on camera coming past and putting a xact thru his engine room.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

Was going to go this morning, but when I got up at 5 in was 71 degrees, so I just stayed home. Supposed to be in the 90’s all week until next Friday, then high of 75. I’m going to wait until it cools off before going again.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... well, oldest son Anthony and me went out 🏹this morning in the mountains of The People’s Republic of N.J.

..... surprisingly the temperature was actually 45 degrees where we hunt... we saw a few doe but nothing within range...

.....we left at 10:30 because I couldn’t find my wallet 😳home and needed to go check in the office....🥵

....by the time we got close to home @ 12:30 it was already 83...🔥

.... the day was enjoyable because I got to spend time with my son... 🙍‍♂️and when I got home and went to the office...the wallet was sitting on my desk! 👍

Anthony :wave:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I am right on with that voice of experience!! :wink:

Our season has been open here about a month.
At this point, I don't even have a tag.
Bow season came and went, but as usual that means very little to me as I usually run the bow in gun season anyway.

Been too warm to get me to thinking about it yet.
And the season runs into mid December, so it ain't like the time is screaming by...

Soon now though. For the itch has started, and certainly there is only one way to satisfy that...

Best of Luck when you do head out Wabi!! :thumbup:
I'll be watching for the tales...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I went out this morning as it was 56* out but really windy. I saw no deer but enjoyed the peace and quiet.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

grouse wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:20 am
I totally agree with your reasoning. Our season has been open since 9/15 and, though I'm retired and can hunt all I want to, I've just gone out 3 mornings. Our high temps. have been mostly 85 - 90 degrees and the woods is like a jungle. I'm 70 yrs. old and this is the hottest Sept. I can remember. Better days are coming and I'll work on filling the freezer soon.
Looking to be in the 40's morning temp's by Fri. Always seems to be something magical about the first cold front of Oct, but think I'm going to wait alittle farther into the month.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I suspect I will be doing the same. Tuesday opening here, calling for 18°C morning temp, high of 29°C and thunderstorms.
That's not cool. Literally and figuratively.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme