quills not lasting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Re: quills not lasting

Post by W.Miguire »

I have seen this before when the arrow was not set all the way against the string . maybe just maybe that is what happened to you.
W.M.
Boo

Post by Boo »

What target are you shooting into and what are you using to remove them?
There's a pretty good skid mark at the break which kinda makes me think something hit it or it hit something in the target.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Are these Easton quills or BEA? I uaf it happen to my Easton quills after 6 shots into a rhioblock. I think the abrupt stop the back end would vibrate and snap.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Looks like an Easton Quill.

I have one of the Yellow Jacket broadhead targets and with the Boltcutters it can be a real pain in the rump to pull these from the block. The Yellow Jacket target seems to be really hard. I fractured a Quill removing it from the target.
I started using a Double D's arrow puller. That ended the problem. :thumbup:
I also switched to the BEE's!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:57 pm
Looks like an Easton Quill.

I have one of the Yellow Jacket broadhead targets and with the Boltcutters it can be a real pain in the rump to pull these from the block. The Yellow Jacket target seems to be really hard. I fractured a Quill removing it from the target.
I started using a Double D's arrow puller. That ended the problem. :thumbup:
I also switched to the BEE's!!
I switched to the Danny Miller arrow puller because i was bending my aluminum shafts.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'd be having a good long chat with that target. If it's overly hard, or has something in it. I fear Executioners or Zombies would ultimately do the same thing, but it may not be as obvious, creating an unsafe situation
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The 18-1 target is very dense! I only shoot broad heads into mine, and never near the top. I'm not sure how the handle is attached, the rope goes into the top, and most likely has steel grommets that you cannot see. Just me, but I'm OCD! :crazy:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

It's just a block target. placing target flat with knee on it to pull with hand, sometimes puller. most bolts just come right out. penetrate about half way unless they hit another hole. I check and make sure they are seated all the way in the crossbow most of the time. the first one was with field point. the second was with swhacker target head. the quills are Black Eagle. Got some executioners coming, hope they work better. I put broad heads on bolts for this weekend, but noticed one had some carbon pulled loose right behind the insert. guess we'll just have to wait and see.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
janesy

Post by janesy »

Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 pm
It's just a block target. placing target flat with knee on it to pull with hand, sometimes puller. most bolts just come right out. penetrate about half way unless they hit another hole. I check and make sure they are seated all the way in the crossbow most of the time. the first one was with field point. the second was with swhacker target head. the quills are Black Eagle. Got some executioners coming, hope they work better. I put broad heads on bolts for this weekend, but noticed one had some carbon pulled loose right behind the insert. guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Those quills are executioners. That's why I'm suggesting a different target
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cardinalsfanforever

thank you. looking into it now
Cardinalsfanforever

think I'll make my own bag target. Any suggestions?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:14 am
think I'll make my own bag target. Any suggestions?
The best bag I've owned is a Third Hand Archery Rag Bag. Noting lasts as long. The only down side is that you have to stuff it. Layer clothing or better yet, cut clothing to 2" strips and dump them in. I've had one that I've had one for 7 or 8 yrs. Started to use it for field testing the 405. Probably has 5,000 shots, maybe much more and it's still in great shape.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Shooting a FP into a foam target puts a TON of stress on an arrow. As noted above...my suggestion is also to shoot FPs only into a bag target (you can make one easy enough with a burlap sack and old jeans, or I suggest the Yellow jacket Crossbow bag target), and only shooting broadheads into a foam target (I suggest rhino too). The cut of the baldes greatly reduces the friction on the shaft resulting a a "slower slow down" and more penetration. And they are not bad to remove either because of the slices along the "wound channel" When you shoot a FP into a foam target, the friction is so strong it heats up the foam and pretty much welds the arrow into the target. And there is no relief point along the channel when trying to remove it. Twisting the arrow will break the bond and allow arrows to be removed.

My 2 cents
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

why I use alum arrows !
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

bob1961 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:12 pm
why I use alum arrows !
Alum is not better. Shoot them into a foam target with a field point and you will easily bend them, or bend them pulling them out. Heck I even got a slight bend on an Easton Full Metal Jacket, which is just what is says, Aluminum over Carbon. Shot it and it was perfect. Shot it again and it was not good. Then I switched to a bag target. Carbons are either straight or broke. Can't say that about aluminum.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><