Which spitfire BH

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Owl Creek

Which spitfire BH

Post by Owl Creek »

I'm stopping by Cabelas tomorrow on the way out of town.

if I end up getting Spitfire Mechanicals. Which ones work best on crossbows do I have to use any extra bands or anyting?

It will be 125gn

Thanks
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
georgiaboy

Re: Which spitfire BH

Post by georgiaboy »

I use crossbow specific spitfires and regular spitfires out of all my crossbows. I use one dental band on them for insurance. Probably don’t have to but it makes me feel better.
You should be fine. :thumbup:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I used spitfire double cross crossbow broadheads last season. Awesome performance on a quartering frontal shot.. only reason not using this yr. Try to use up older heads I have.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

georgiaboy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:32 pm
I use crossbow specific spitfires and regular spitfires out of all my crossbows. I use one dental band on them for insurance. Probably don’t have to but it makes me feel better.
You should be fine. :thumbup:
Ditto That.
All I've ever used after giving up on the boltcutters.
Never failed me yet.
And yeah, I also band for insurance.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I use the Spitfire MAXX 100g....absolutely love them...Dick's is having a $20 off on $100 spent...I say that because if you order them online you get a four pack instead of the store three pack...

.....regarding the dental bands...you do not need them if you don't open the blades and show your friends :eusa-naughty: ...by doing so you flatten out the dimple on the little piece of tin (or whatever) that holds the blade in place....you could then have the blades opening up....

.....with that said, I use the dental bands....why :eh: ....well, why not....they don't do anything to harm the flight or the premature opening of the blades (3/8 inch)....

Anthony :thumbup:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Amazon spitfire doublecross crossbows 24.16. a 3 pak. Like 45 % off
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Did several tests years ago with Spitfires through paper tuning rack when I suspected they were opening in flight. With long limbed Excals shooting in the 305-325fps range the blades would consistently open on Broadheads that had been used or opened and closed several times. The blades rely upon a "dimpled" piece of shim stock against the side of blade to to keep in place. The nature of fast loading high poundage recurve xbows overcomes these shims when that "dimple" has been weakened by being compressed(each time opened/closed)too many times. This would be even more of a problem with Excal's new bows at higher poundage and faster loading short limbs.
There are 2 solutions for this:
1. Remove shims and band them like a regular over the top Broadhead..
2. If you despise thought of using bands, then don't open them more than once. If you use that broadhead (or just have to open/close it a bunch) you can remove the shims and gently "re-dimple" them (with a proper sized punch and a soft wood block) and re-install with your blades.

I personally believe there are very few broadheads that spin as true and are as sharp out of the pack as these. They do fly to the same POI as FP's and kill very well. IME many of the deer I've killed with them, the arrow had fallen out of the deer (because of the rounded forward deploy blades) and the blood trail went from great to buckets...
The only other thing that must be considered is they (along with all Aluminum ferruled heads) will rarely spin true after use on deer or shot into a tough sun-dried target...
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Thanks for replys.

I plan to eventually get back to my
Slick tricks and Magnus heads.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.