Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Swat X mags!

Post by janesy »

RobD wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:13 pm
So Jamesy -

Do they come with the bands? Do you find they need them, or do they tend to stay closed until they reach the target? If they do better with bands, do you like their clear ones or the tougher black ones? At what minimum speed do you think qualifies as "magnum"? Their website lists a tested maximum, but not really a preferred minimum.
I haven't used them. They come with a heavy duty black reusable band. It's not an elastic, it's more like a solid rubber. Norm will be along shortly to give the exact product used. I believe the are designed to be used with the bands regardless of the speed used. Norm has been shooting them consistently at up to 480 FPS, and they haven't opened or failed to open on impact yet.

I think I'm going to go with the "Ballistic" line, I like simple. The "Vector" blade were hockey stick shaped, they were impressive. We also played with the "Hybrid" it's was cool, you can shoot it fixed or as a mechanical.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have launched the SWAT X Mag and Vector over 480 fps and they did not open on launch.
SWAT provides a military derived rubber duty strap that withstand temperature extremes better than simple dental bands with longer life expectancy without decay or cracking. Extras are included.
I will have them in the Trading Post soon for Canadian purchase.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

They look interesting.
Maby next season. Good luck with them.shoot a big one.
I love the big bloodtrails these big expanders make.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:14 pm
C'mon Jeff....where's the report? :eusa-popcorn:

Paul
Lol

Seen many Doe and fawns.

It's a long bow season with just one tag and I don't want end it just yet... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
RobD

Post by RobD »

I wondered what the minimum speed was needed for the Crossbow Magnum X-Mags. The website just says it is tested up to 460fps, but doesn't say what the minimum required speed is to be considered a magnum bow. Found this blurb on a reseller's page:
The X-MAG has .036 blades and is extremely tough for high KE crossbows that shoot over 350 FPS and flies like a field point out of the fastest crossbows at over 450 FPS.
I wonder if that is the rated speed of the bow, or the actual shooting speed with arrow/string setup. I'm going to guess actual "as it leaves the bow" speed.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Normous

Post by Normous »

The X Mag has a total 3 3/4 " total cut and I suggest using them only out of hight KE/ speed bows lover 380 fps to drive that head hard .

Low KE bows might be disadvantaged penetration wise using the X Mag ,the way I see it..

The A4 Mini would be more suitable for bows shooting less than 360 fps.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
RobD

Post by RobD »

Normous wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 am
The A4 Mini would be more suitable for bows shooting less than 360 fps.
What about the Ballistic 7-series for the 330-350fps bows? It is only slightly bigger than the A4 Mini, 1.6" dual cuts vs 1.5" dual cuts. Both have the COC tip, the A4 Mini is a 2-blade entry and 4 blade exit design and the Ballistic is a 4-blade entry and exit design.

Seems confusing to refer to the flagship in the Micro line (360 TD Pro) as a low-KE bow as it wouldn't make it shooting a stock Diablo and 100gr head. With my 439gr total weight arrow, it is only puttering along in the 330fps range (don't have the exact number with me). Even my BD400 with that same arrow isn't making the 360fps number. Fast bows, our "average" weight hunting arrows, and we can't use most of their products?
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Normous

Post by Normous »

The 2019 SWAT Vector is an over the top 4 blade in and out, with a adjusting collar that can vary the cut from 1" to 1.75".

This adjustability feature is worthwhile for moderate to fast crossbow users.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings