Med body, small rack 8, bizarre twist - literally

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Med body, small rack 8, bizarre twist - literally

Post by nchunterkw »

Congrats on the deer and the recovery! Great story. I have had similar experiences with the montecs. They fly great but not too much blood IMO. I shot a doe once 15yds through both shoulders with my Vortex and a 125gr Montec CS. Complete pass thru and with both shoulders broke she did not go far (maybe 40-50 yds), but zero blood. When I got it home to skin it, it was like all the blood pooled up between the meat and the skin on the far side. Made a complete mess of the garage. As for the path of the arrow, I'm with Mike saying the deer must have turned. I wouldn't think a montec would bounce off anything inside. But there are lots of threads about their lack of blood.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Like Doemaster said, they can move faster than Keneau Reeves in the Matrix.

I once shot a doe at a mere 8 yards with my Exocet. She ran maybe 60-70 and piled up within sight.

Congratulating myself on a perfect double-lung shot, I walked over to her—only to find that the arrow had sliced through the arteries in her neck!

She had dropped and turned that fast at the sound of the bow, before the arrow could travel 25 FEET! I’d just gotten lucky.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:04 pm
Patcon wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 pm
Congrats on the good recovery.
Where I hunt 800 yards is a long way and might as well be miles. How do you end up with a dog that retrieves like this? Is it a natural thing or training? I took a shot at one 2 years ago and it didn't bolt like it had been hit but I found no blood but with out a tracking dog I had no way to try to find it...
I had an Australian Sheppard I trained to track deer I saved blood from a harvested deer when gutting and I would go out on weekends in the morning and lay out a sent trail with some blood on a rag and string and a sprits from a spray bottle once in a while , After sever hours I would bring out Dakota my Aussie and put him on my fake trail, I started out short and easy worked up to longer time, longer trails and less scent he never had much trouble .
I gave him nice treats and great praise after every run, I had to mark the trail with Toilet paper every so often setting up the scent trail so I could follow it but it easier than i thought it would be .
Dakota found several deer for sure that would have been lost for me , for a friend and I used to put Dakotas "card" on hunters cars until I got sick of getting haled out of my house 2 hours after dark on work nights to find deer but it was an experience I can remember fondly of Dakota he would be so full of burs and mud but smiling the biggest dog smile I was glad i went through it.
Thanks for that reply. That was sort of what I was asking. I have big lazy dogs, Great Danes. They might be up for it but they might not
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I have a buddy that has deer trailing dogs. They are a special breed and they don't trail a wounded deer by blood . The deer apparently have a scent gland in their hoove that gives of a certain smell and the dog follows it. That way it can follow a specific deer whether the blood trail stops or not .