308 short

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shawnhunts

308 short

Post by shawnhunts »

I have a question for you experienced crossbow shooters. I bought a 308 short last year late November. I shot her got her sighted in and I hunted with her for a month. Our season ended so I unstrung her. Fast forward to this year September I got ready to string her up I got the stringer caught between the bolt guide and tore the sucker right off. I took 308 short to my local excel dealer who replaced the bolt keeper, he also had to retap the rail as the screws were stripped. Since I received the bow back I cannot get her sighted in. A few shots and she is ok I shoot two more shots and the bolt flys low. Then my scope was loose on the rails I had to tighten the scope back up and try to sight in again, I still cannot get her shooting consistently. Now the whole scope mount is loose. Thank God I have another bow. Any suggestions?
Shawn
2009 Phoenix, firebolts,100gr spitfires
janesy

Re: 308 short

Post by janesy »

shawnhunts wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:25 pm
I have a question for you experienced crossbow shooters. I bought a 308 short last year late November. I shot her got her sighted in and I hunted with her for a month. Our season ended so I unstrung her. Fast forward to this year September I got ready to string her up I got the stringer caught between the bolt guide and tore the sucker right off. I took 308 short to my local excel dealer who replaced the bolt keeper, he also had to retap the rail as the screws were stripped. Since I received the bow back I cannot get her sighted in. A few shots and she is ok I shoot two more shots and the bolt flys low. Then my scope was loose on the rails I had to tighten the scope back up and try to sight in again, I still cannot get her shooting consistently. Now the whole scope mount is loose. Thank God I have another bow. Any suggestions?
I'm not really sure how you managed to do that. But if something happened with enough force to rip out the two screws, it's probably the case that some of the other fasteners have been tweeked too. I would start by removing all fasteners right down to the trigger group, clean them, reinstall them with a proper thread lock and start over.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I think jansey gave you the correct advise , I would add that it really is not necessary to unstring the bow after the season ends no harm will come to the bow
You may want to just use one arrow for the initial sighting in just to simplify things until you know the issue is fixed.
I bent my arrow renention spring on my old Equinox useing the string changer it did not slide under it but started over the top and got bent real fast ,had to call Danny Miller for the part.
Good luck give us an update when you figure things out.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
shawnhunts

Post by shawnhunts »

thanks
Shawn
Boo

Post by Boo »

If I'm going to shoot a bow within a year or so I'll leave it strung up.
If you mean that you got the stringer caught between the arrow retainer and the trigger unit, you may have distorted the upper part of the trigger unit. I've seen that more than once. This could also have effected the 2 allen bolts that hold the trigger unit onto the mainframe. It's not especially robust where the allen bolts go through. Take the trigger unit out and have a good look. The scope base could also have been bent.
You can check for a bent trigger unit with a vernier. Check the front of the opening and compare to the back of the slot.
Used trigger units aren't very expensive.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
shawnhunts

Post by shawnhunts »

Had her in for more service, tapped rail new screws added loctite applied. Shot 3x adjusted scope. Brought her home and shotl I needed to adjust scope again at 20 yds after shooting 2 bolts. Shot 3 more bolts at 20 moved back to 30 shot twice. The scope is loose again on the rail. Bow shop wants to put on permanent loctite but i do not think that is the answer. I sighted the bow in late last fall then i unsprung her for the winter. Any ideas? I would like to sell but i don't want to sell it if the bow is not right.
Shawn
Boo

Post by Boo »

I wasn't tightened enough!!! I use a T handle and I tighten enough to twist the shaft 90 degrees and hold for a couple of seconds. Make sure the tool goes in full depth.
If you're going to use Loctite, use blue or green. Red is extremely stupid to use in this case.
shawnhunts

Post by shawnhunts »

Boo, the archery shop used blue loctite. The scope became loose again. Wonder if I should send it back to wyvern, excalibur or Danny miller
Shawn
Boo

Post by Boo »

shawnhunts wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 pm
Boo, the archery shop used blue loctite. The scope became loose again. Wonder if I should send it back to wyvern, excalibur or Danny miller
If a fastener is installed without enough torque, it will come lose with or without loctite. That said, loctite takes 24 hrs to cure. I do not use loctite on scope base screws because I tighten them well enough. Loctite is a crutch for lack of tightening skills in some situations.
Tighten the scope base screws yourself, as if your life depends on it. Learn to do it yourself the right way.
shawnhunts

Post by shawnhunts »

thanks very much Boo
Shawn