Question about unstringing and dissipator pads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

monstermash

Question about unstringing and dissipator pads

Post by monstermash »

Hello, I own a Matrix Mega 405 and have always unstrung it from Nov to Sept. Been reading about removing the dissipator pads or they'll be ruined. Also read about some outer pads, not sure what those are?
Looking at my bow, can't really see how the bumper pads can be ruined by unstringing the Xbow? Can someone steer me straight please?
tks
Matrix Mega 405
RobD

Re: Question about unstringing and dissipator pads

Post by RobD »

No need to unstring the bow, it'll be fine sitting that way. Just check on it every month or so to make sure the string isn't digging into the string stops. because the factory string stretches over time. If it is, put an extra twist or two into the string.

The dissipator pads (or outer pads) that you are referring to are the air brakes. They are installed on the outside portion of the limbs where it attaches to the riser. When you unstring the bow, the limbs put extra pressure on the rubber pads of the air brakes and compress them, which over time will ruin them.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

Oh my, I think I'm even more confused. I really don't see what you're referring to when you speak of the string stops. I know where the rubber bumpers are, they're not hard to identify. :oops:
Matrix Mega 405
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/accessories/silencing/

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing I see on the link that I have on my Matrix Mega 405 are the R.E.D.S. Is my bow missing something critical do you think?
Matrix Mega 405
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I always went by the rule when I unstrung the crossbow I removed the pads . The pads will be ruined in time because of the constant pressure of the limbs since they are made of a soft material .
RobD

Post by RobD »

monstermash wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:09 pm
Ok, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing I see on the link that I have on my Matrix Mega 405 are the R.E.D.S. Is my bow missing something critical do you think?
Nope, you're not missing anything critical. No need to unstring the bow during the off-season. Just check on it every month or so and make sure the string isn't digging into the rubber on the REDS (factory strings stretch over time).
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

If your bow does not have airbrakes, then you can unstring it with no problems. If it does have airbrakes, then you need to remove the airbrake rubber pads before you let the limbs down. But as many have said already, you don't really need to let these bows down like an old vertical recurve bow. But on the other hand, it will certainly relieve stress so it's totally up to you. Many on here (like me) shoot year round, but if you don't then I don't see any trouble with taking the string off during the off season
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

Thanks to all. I do not have air brakes and shoot very little, in fact, probably sell my Mega 405 within the next couple of years, problem with eye sight. I've had issues with the limbs but Excalibur seems to have resolved the issue because I've not seen any delaminating issues since last year and I have two other sets of the newer limbs. I'll continue to unstring based on your input, thanks again. I realize that I will string it a few weeks prior to hunting season to let it "sit" where it should.
Matrix Mega 405