What’s the best replacement scope?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

2019 Bulldog 440

What’s the best replacement scope?

Post by 2019 Bulldog 440 »

Ok. So I couldn’t find this topic on any of our forums so I figured I would ask. I want to upgrade my Cross 1.5-5x32mm scope that I had with my Barnett crossbow’s. There’s nothing wrong with the one that I have but I wanted to know what the consensus is on the best scope out there that has speed rings up to 450FPS+ I’m looking for the Hawks XB30 for starters but not sure if that’sa good option or not. Should I get a new scope or wait until mine breaks? Please advise, Thanks in advance!
Own:
2019 Bulldog 440 MOBUC
2020 MAG 340 Kryptec Raid
Wish:
to have the rest of the newer 2020 Excalibur crossbow’s with QLT. :eusa-violin:
dithian

Re: What’s the best replacement scope?

Post by dithian »

I'm not familiar with your bow or your scope, but I can say that I'm a fan of my Hawke XB30. I'm not sure the optics are as clear as some other options on the market, but overall the scope performs well. Personally, I would let performance drive your decision in regards to changing your scope. If what you have works just fine, there's no reason to change it until/if/when your current scope fails. For me, I changed to the Hawke when it was clear that my stock Excalibur scope wasn't holding zero very well and the MOA adjustment was too rough for my preference.

The adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....x2

.... I too have grown to love the Hawke XB30 over the Leupold Crossbones..I too changed from the TacZone for the same reasons.... great minds think alike!😂😂

Anthony😀
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings

Post by newbie »

Best is subjective.
I like simplicity of a single crosshair or dot in my Mark AR MOD 1 leupold firedot reticle. I sight it in for 25 to 30 yards and im good to my hunting range of up to 45 without thinking. Missed a few shoots with those multiple crosshair scopes in the heat of the moment.
The mark AR is small light clear and bullet proof so far.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
janesy

Post by janesy »

newbie wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:52 am
Best is subjective.
I like simplicity of a single crosshair or dot in my Mark AR MOD 1 leupold firedot reticle. I sight it in for 25 to 30 yards and im good to my hunting range of up to 45 without thinking. Missed a few shoots with those multiple crosshair scopes in the heat of the moment.
The mark AR is small light clear and bullet proof so far.
I'm the same. Zero and go. There is not time to rely on chevrons and dots when you need it.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm a fan of the XB 30 Pros also. I have
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

After having owned and used several different brands and models of scopes and due to age and the sight issues some of us have to deal with due to our ages, :thumbdown: :cry: I'm a big fan of the Hawke XB 30 Pro's also.

I have all three of my Excals. equipped with illuminated hawkes scopes .... The XB 30's being the best model I have used. :thumbup: :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

I use Leupold 1.5-5x20's on two Excals and Leupold 1-4x20 shotgun scopes on the other two Excals. All have heavy duplex.
Boo

Post by Boo »

My 2 favorite scopes for hunting are a VXR Hog scope with a Pig Plex and a Vortex 1X8X24 Strike Eagle.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MicroMan355

Post by MicroMan355 »

I would look at the new Excalibur Tact-100. :thumbup:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

If it says “ a Leupold” , you would be off to s good start.
Boo

Post by Boo »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:00 pm
If it says “ a Leupold” , you would be off to s good start.
:thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SEW

Post by SEW »

The question is very open ended. Crossbows and hunting styles vary so much, there isn’t a best for all xbows, desired hunting traits, pocket books, etc to give a concise answer. Cost parameters, will you hunt until it’s dark, what ranges are you planning for a maximum, prefer a single x-hair or a dedicated rifle scope, maximum size you’ll tolerate, maximum weight , are you used to high quality rifle scopes, etc?

If you answer these, you’ll likely get answers that fit your situation better.

Now, a partial answer. I prefer a high quality rifle scope on an Optimizer. Most cost effective seems to me to be the Leupold VXR series. Size and power based on some of the questions above.

Dedicated, currently in production crossbow scope : the EvoX by Ten Point. It has the best glass and lighted reticle of any current production crossbow scope. Very fine xhairs - turn the reticle on at the first sign of game during the day. Near dark, the very low lighting of the reticle will be appreciated. If you often want just a single reticle/xhair, make a mark where the adjusted sight setting is (for using the range marks) then just turn the speed/par range to your desired power, likely the lowest, and use the center xhair. It’ll be on for 20 yards and you can aim over as needed for other ranges. You can have your cake and eat it too.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

SEW wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm
The question is very open ended. Crossbows and hunting styles vary so much, there isn’t a best for all xbows, desired hunting traits, pocket books, etc to give a concise answer. Cost parameters, will you hunt until it’s dark, what ranges are you planning for a maximum, prefer a single x-hair or a dedicated rifle scope, maximum size you’ll tolerate, maximum weight , are you used to high quality rifle scopes, etc?

If you answer these, you’ll likely get answers that fit your situation better.

Now, a partial answer. I prefer a high quality rifle scope on an Optimizer. Most cost effective seems to me to be the Leupold VXR series. Size and power based on some of the questions above.

Dedicated, currently in production crossbow scope : the EvoX by Ten Point. It has the best glass and lighted reticle of any current production crossbow scope. Very fine xhairs - turn the reticle on at the first sign of game during the day. Near dark, the very low lighting of the reticle will be appreciated. If you often want just a single reticle/xhair, make a mark where the adjusted sight setting is (for using the range marks) then just turn the speed/par range to your desired power, likely the lowest, and use the center xhair. It’ll be on for 20 yards and you can aim over as needed for other ranges. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Yep, and for me I am not a fan of illuminated scopes. I don't like the battery aspect at all. I have my favorite but it does not work on all crossbows because of speed differences. I also like simple, so a scope with multiple reticles is fine for me once I get the speed dialed in. I don't have to fiddle with it when the shot comes, but I do need to know the distance, just like ALL hunters do. My advice is to find one that your eye likes, and has good reviews, a good solid warranty, and fits your budget. That's the best scope you can get in my opinion!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!