Ameristep 2 Man Chair Blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Ameristep 2 Man Chair Blind

Post by ko4nrbs »

Very handy and portable blind!!

First time I have used the Ameristep 2 Man Chair Blind.

Had room for the heater, backpack, and tripod for the crossbow. I sit in the right side chair and use the left one for my backpack, etc.

Front is plenty wide for my Exomax crossbow which is 35.5" wide uncocked and 27.5" cocked. It sticks out the front a little so keep an eye out so you see the deer first. A smaller crossbow would be ideal but I like my Exomax. I secure the crossbow in a Rubber Vee bow stop for boats I glued on the top of a camera tripod. I just tuck the stock's butt plate into my shoulder so it doesn't move. This is a great way to support the crossbow while hunting.
It is comfortable and when a deer is seen all you have to do is pan very slowly to the deer assuming you set the tripod height before. This supports the crossbow well and keeps it always at ready.

There are two front windows. The large one I use and there is a smaller one in the middle of the large one. Both are zippered. I have to use the large window because of my crossbow's width. You could use the smaller window with a more narrow crossbow though the field of vision is less but still doable.

If it calls for rain cover the seats so they don't get wet. Big trash bags work well.

Best way to get in and out the blind is to pull the front two stakes and lift up the front. No need to put the front stakes back in unless it is real windy. Don't forget to put them back in when you leave!! The front stakes can be put back in while you are in the blind if need be. While opening and closing the blind be very careful the cover does not hang up on the pivot point and tear!! After mine is up I slide a piece of carpet in between the cover and the pivot point so it doesn't rub on the cover.

My primary Ground Blind is an Ameristep Doghouse which I have used since 2013. While I have more room in the Doghouse blind it doesn't fit in small spots like the 2 man chair blind and takes a little longer to set up. I bought this blind so I can move around to different spots in the woods quickly and fit into smaller spaces. This blind does that very well with the smaller foot print.

All Ground Blinds I have used do leak some at the seams and have a few pin holes. Use Goop to seal them from the inside and they will leak no more. Allow 2 or 3 days for the smell to go away.
I buy Goop at Lowes but it can be found online and in other stores.
https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP...ocphy=9026493&hvtargid=pla-351931061417&psc=1

Spray all the zippers with Silicone spray every season to keep them quieter and lubricated.

I really like this blind and do recommend it. It does what it is designed to do very well. It is unfair to compare it to the larger blinds. Practice with it at home before taking it into the woods!!

Bill
Last edited by ko4nrbs on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
papa bear1

Re: Ameristep 2 Man Chair Blind

Post by papa bear1 »

I LIKE :thumbup: how much does it weigh ?

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

It would be nice on a rainy day.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

papa bear1 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Dave
17 lbs.
https://www.ameristep.com/deluxe-tent-chair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OpQXvxR5Xc

I carry mine under my arm but I don't have far to go either.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:14 pm
papa bear1 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Dave
17 lbs.
https://www.ameristep.com/deluxe-tent-chair

I carry mine under my arm but I don't have far to go either.

Bill
....Bill according to Amazon...it weighs in at 18.5 lbs....also in the reviews, if it is really raining it leaks pretty bad. Your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/2-man-hunting-blind/s?k=2+man+hunting+blind&rh=p_89%3AAmeristep

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

amythntr wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:18 pm
....Bill according to Amazon...it weighs in at 18.5 lbs....also in the reviews, if it is really raining it leaks pretty bad. Your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/2-man-hunting-blind/s?k=2+man+hunting+blind&rh=p_89%3AAmeristep

[/quote]
I didn't weigh it so don't know for sure. I didn't think it weighed too much considering it has two chairs in it.

I haven't been in it for a rain storm yet but it was out one night during a pretty good thunderstorm. There was a little water on the tarp I put over the chairs. To avoid seam and pin hole leaks I smear Goop over them with my finger from the inside before I set it out. Didn't do that to this one yet. In addition leave all the zippers on the bottom of their windows so that little hole between the two zippers doesn't leak on the chair. Mine only has 2 pin holes in it. It is very difficult to not have the seams leak some because the tension pulls at them.

I don't think it is a big problem after using the Goop. That sure worked well in my Doghouse blind. This blind is so handy to use I wouldn't let that deter me from buying it. 20 minutes or so applying the Goop and you are good to go. Maybe shouldn't have to do that but every ground blind I have owned leaked at the seams and what pin holes they had.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

One other thing.

When the blind's walls and the ceiling start fading I use black fabric paint to touch them up. It is also water resistant and a bottle goes a long way.
https://www.amazon.com/Tulip-Dimensional-Fabric-Paint-Matte/dp/B002PNXNI6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tulip+black+matte&qid=1571873116&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-1
WalMart has it to.

It generally takes 2 coats maybe three depending on how bad the fading is. I do mine before it gets too bad so it takes less time and paint. They stay in good shape for years if you maintain them. One of the Doghouse blinds I have now is going on 10 years old and is set out from September until the first week of January every season. The camo is still in excellent condition.

Bill
Last edited by ko4nrbs on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:33 pm
One other thing.

When the blind's inside walls and the ceiling start fading I use black fabric paint to touch them up. It is also water resistant and a bottle goes a long way.
https://www.amazon.com/Tulip-Dimensional-Fabric-Paint-Matte/dp/B002PNXNI6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tulip+black+matte&qid=1571873116&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-1
WalMart has it to.

It generally takes 2 coats maybe three depending on how bad the fading is. I do mine before it gets too bad so it takes less time and paint. They stay in good shape for years if you maintain them. The Doghouse blind I have now is going on 10 years old and is set out from September until the first week of January every season. The camo is still in excellent condition.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I have one of these set up on one of the parcels of land I hunt on. They seem to work fairly well. I use a silicone spray to coat the outside to help with the leak issues. Seems to work fairly well. I take mine down after season. But I've had it a number of years without issue until a limb broke off of a pine and poked a hole in the roof. A little camo duct tape and it was as good as new.
I like mine, but I'm primarily a tree stand hunter.
Just my 2 cents worth! :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....is this the blind that has the "lawn chair" inside of it?

Anthony :eusa-think:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

amythntr wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Watch this video:
Has two chairs in the 2 man blind and one chair in the 1 man blind. They are Directors type folding chairs.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:25 pm
amythntr wrote:

Watch this video:
Has two chairs in the 2 man blind and one chair in the 1 man blind. They are Directors type folding chairs.
Bill
..... thanks Bill... excellent videos ... I can see it is definitely NOT for me, as camping chairs and me do not get along too well!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

amythntr wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:01 am
ko4nrbs wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:25 pm
amythntr wrote:

Watch this video:
Bill
..... thanks Bill... excellent videos ... I can see it is definitely NOT for me, as camping chairs and me do not get along too well!

I put a couch cushion in mine and it is quite comfortable. Also insulates your backside!!
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....that would probably work...however I hunt up a mountain....carrying an extra 17 lbs plus a pillow, in addition to my CB and backpack would be somewhat prohibitive!

Anthony :eusa-naughty:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....would definitely consider it if my hunting situation were to change to a place less formidable!

Anthony :thumbup:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings