Ramcat Hydroshock-X

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Ramcat Hydroshock-X

Post by hunter with MS »

Anyone using this Ramcat ? I just got them and only got to shoot one a few times at 20 and 25 yards they shoot great . I am Also wondering if anyone can recommend a quiver as the ones I have are way to small as the blade dia is 1/38. I was looking at the Arrolok quiver by Drstirrup .
nchunterkw

Re: Ramcat Hydroshock-X

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot Ramcat 125s all the time and love them. I don't see what is different with the "Hodroshok -X". Possibly just marketing. The 125s are a big bigger than the 100s you are shooting and I can just get them inside of a normal 4 arrow Excal quiver. But they don't fit all the way into my 3 arrow Excal quiver. I just put them in as far as I can. Ramcat used to make a quiver I think, but it was way too much $$ IMO.

You will love how they shoot and how they perform. Took a deer Sunday night with one. Blood 2' high on the trees he was standing by when I hit him and blood the whole way from there.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I used to live and die with Muzzy but after working with the Trocar which failed big time with bent and broken blades . I switched to Ramcat . I looked at Arro quiver but it cost way to much . So I took a Excal Quiver I took the lower holder off it and the ramcat's fit great they don't hang up I only have the top holder holding them.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

If they fit in the Dr. Stirrup quiver, it's excellent. If not, Alpine Archery had a Soft Lok Quiver that grips the arrow in 2 spots mid shaft and the hood is filled with foam that you press the broadhead into. It's very quiet and I know it would work....something to think about. :eusa-think:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:32 pm
If they fit in the Dr. Stirrup quiver, it's excellent. If not, Alpine Archery had a Soft Lok Quiver that grips the arrow in 2 spots mid shaft and the hood is filled with foam that you press the broadhead into. It's very quiet and I know it would work....something to think about. :eusa-think:

Paul
Im sure Gaston bought some to try in his quiver and they fit.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Ramcat 125 grain fit into Gaston's quiver very well ...That is what is sitting on my M380
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Have taken 2 deer so far with them. Nice blood trails on both despite high shoulder hits from 13 year old son who followed the blood to each about 50-75 yards to each one. I can say with high confidence, neither deer would have been recovered had they been an expandable combined with these shots. One small doe he hit high and was stopped by far shoulder blade(out of blind). When deer ran it made it about 50-60 yards and suddenly collapsed. When we dressed it it was clear the arrow was being moved around inside by shoulders and eventually cut something vital. Last 5 yards it looked like a war zone.. The other Doe was BIG and turned toward him as he pulled the trigger. Arrow entered again high about an inch below spine/neck area bending blade against vertebrae and lodging inside pelvis area. She ran and collapsed around 50 yards again and suddenly collapsed. This arrow obviously cut the femoral artery in the hip area as she ran as there was a half gallon of blood that came out of her abdomen when we dressed it. Thought would be worse after passing through paunch area but wasnt that bad actually...Just a lot of blood inside..
My son has shot and lost 2 other deer(both with Steelhead 100's) and all were shoulder hits. I personally have taken over 30 deer with Steelheads (compund & crossbow) and have only ever lost 1(which was a low hit and then stolen went we went back to find it that afternoon). I switched my son to the Ramcats because I believe they offer insurance on less than perfect shots. They fly to same POI as Fieldpoints just as Steelheads always have.
IMHO opinion they are THE BEST choice for kids & the worst for hunting with kids...The fact that you have an exposed blade on front of bow with a kid just sucks, but well worth it if you hold the xbow or lean/hang it so the kid isn't in risk of cutting himself. You just have to be careful loading/unloading it as well.
I like them a lot, and have been slowly switching over to them from the Steelheads after seeing how effective they are on poorly placed shots as well as how well they group alongside my FP's.
I like Steel Ferruled BH's and these use an internal centering system that has made each and every one spin true and tighten up my groups further. The Steelheads have always been close to true out of the pack(and need sharpened), but I've found that the washer they use between the ferrule and insert sometimes has a burr(as they are stamped) and need to be sanded flat to achieve perfection. This unknown little step has shrunk my groups to rival my FP's, but it's nice to not have to do anything besides ensure screws are tight, screw them on, spin them to verify they true, and then shoot an FP to same hole as Ramcat at 50 yds.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

BTW, We've used the 100gr with 20"(422gr total) arrow out of Vixen 2 @ 278fps and 125gr version with 16"(410g total)out of 315 micro @ 302fps. Both Chrono'd.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1