40 Strand Dacron String

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Smong2000

Re: 40 Strand Dacron String

Post by Smong2000 »

With these 'creepy' strings, how do you know when to change them? Someone else suggested unwinding the string and counting the twists. I forgot how many twists were considered the limit. Not sure if that would work very well on Flemish strings. My Micro has spent over 100 hours cocked so far...

I actually had to do this on my current dark green EL string because it was twisted wrong and the serving was pretty loose. After it was untwisted, waxed and twisted in the other direction my serving got very tight with no more separation. I think it was either an ABB or DM string. :eusa-think:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Resetting BH is mostly due to excess wax coming out of the string and/or the braids and what not settling in and tightening up as the string is shot. I'm talking Flemish now. I think both of these factors play a much higher role in why a string stretches than does material creep. But after it's all settled, then creep may be evident and you will mostly see it when it's hot outside. Still I only end up adjusting my BH on my MIcros once a year. And even then 1 or 2 turns at most.

Here's what BCY has to say (from their website FAQs)

Question: What is the best bowstring material for a Crossbow ?
Answer: 100% Dyneema® is recommended for safety and speed. This leads to DynaFLIGHT97. -26 or 28 strands are normally used. Creep is not normally a factor due to the extremely high strength of the string
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Smong2000 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:45 am
With these 'creepy' strings, how do you know when to change them? Someone else suggested unwinding the string and counting the twists. I forgot how many twists were considered the limit. Not sure if that would work very well on Flemish strings. My Micro has spent over 100 hours cocked so far...

I actually had to do this on my current dark green EL string because it was twisted wrong and the serving was pretty loose. After it was untwisted, waxed and twisted in the other direction my serving got very tight with no more separation. I think it was either an ABB or DM string. :eusa-think:
You don't want to untwist a Flemish for sure. That is what holds it all together.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><