Story from Ranger's Station

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Story from Ranger's Station

Post by xcaliber »

Was coming out of the woods this morning, and had the Axe of course. I had the Charger Crank in my pack, the bow was cocked. I drop of my gear & heavy clothes, then go to uncock the Axe. These two older fellas are watching me do most of this. I think nothing about it but then they approach me. I'm letting down Axe, and the one guy says, look at that recurve crossbow! He says him & his buddy have wheelies, and they have to shoot their dummy arrow at the end of an unsuccessful hunt. One guy was a lefty, so I let him handle it, look thru the scope, etc. I then let him cock, and uncock with the Charger, he's getting two. One for him, one for his buddy for Christmas, early! Both gents are retired, one from the Marine Corp. the other an Old Jar Head, but retired Iron Worker, after Vietnam, he survived, and got the hell out. These old boys wrote everything down, no cell phone, no computer at home, just good ol folk. I felt young after talking about websites, forums, and stuff. Not vibrant young, mindful young. Like I was hip on chit or something. I told them that my daughters taught me a lot cause they grew up on this stuff. Anyway, I made two new friends today, Joe & Kelly. Kelly is called Gunny! I told him I would remember that. This is their first year deer hunting on this Area, so I helped them a bit on where to avoid, what's hot in certain wind, etc. They got kicked off a farm because the owner's kid was able to secure a lease that these boys cannot afford. Breaks my heart that two Veterans with maybe 8 years of hunting left can't finish it off there.
Oh, saw 6 deer, one buck but tiny. Had a shot at a mother deer with a young one, let her walk. Great day, but sad too. I really fear what the world will be for my Grand kids. :?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Re: Story from Ranger's Station

Post by gerald strine »

Good stuff keep up the good work, made new contacts, passed on knowledge, and helped new hunters, great day hunting all the way around you never know what a day in the woods will turn into.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Sounds like you had a great day.
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Great post. Enjoyed it.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Good on ya Dan
a great hunt, new friends, takeing time to be kind to strangers,
and veterans, thumbs up to you sir. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Dave :eusa-clap:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
rayman

Post by rayman »

"I really fear what the world will be for my Grand kids."

Getting more and more that you have to buy a small hunting tract for yourself or else you are at the mercy of others.

Was out yesterday inspecting a timber property for a customer, riding around on an atv, and on the way back to the truck went down one last small road. Came around a bend and there was a guy waving at me from inside a ground blind. I turned around and left, and felt bad for messing up someone's hunt. I called the landowner and told him about it and told him to apologize to his hunter on my behalf. About an hour later I had a call and it was the hunter that was in the ground blind. Turned out is was someone I knew but haven't seen in a few years and we talked for about an hour.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

....brings a tear to my eye....men who respect, men who served, men with a moral compass, men not entrapped in the "wants" of society...whats not to like! Great story!

Anthony :thumbup:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
grouse

Post by grouse »

Nice story! I'm a 70 year old veteran of the same era, though I never served overseas. Some statements and assumptions in the story bothered me a little. Not all of us are technologically challenged, I've been operating a computer for at least 30 years and I've had a smart phone for nearly 10 years now. Also, I know that I may not finish this season (true for everyone) my expectation is to hunt a lot longer than 8 more years!

I know I'm taking slight offense where none was intended but I just wanted to point a couple of things out.
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

grouse wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:06 pm
Nice story! I'm a 70 year old veteran of the same era, though I never served overseas. Some statements and assumptions in the story bothered me a little. Not all of us are technologically challenged, I've been operating a computer for at least 30 years and I've had a smart phone for nearly 10 years now. Also, I know that I may not finish this season (true for everyone) my expectation is to hunt a lot longer than 8 more years!

I know I'm taking slight offense where none was intended but I just wanted to point a couple of things out.
Not trying to limit anyone’s time left to hunt, or categorize anyone’s abilities and apologize to anybody who may have taken it that way.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Dan, I never got any of the negative from your story...none! It was a great story and I appreciated reading it. I'm 50 and darn near 'tech' illiterate. I prefer it that way. Has nothing to do with being old, I just prefer the 'old ways'. Thanks for your awesome story! :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Thanks for sharing this Dan :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Great read Dan... :thumbup:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

paulaboutform wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:51 pm
Dan, I never got any of the negative from your story...none! It was a great story and I appreciated reading it. I'm 50 and darn near 'tech' illiterate. I prefer it that way. Has nothing to do with being old, I just prefer the 'old ways'. Thanks for your awesome story! :thumbup:

Paul
x2 :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

great story. I'm 64 next week, use my computer a lot. if it wasn't for grandkids I wouldn't have a smart phone. My last job required computer use a lot.
I enjoyed your story. new friends are worth a lot.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster