Hunting In The Rain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Hunting In The Rain

Post by CT.HNTR »

I was hunting in a light rain this morning and realized that I have never shot my crossbow in the rain so I was wondering how having wet bolts or water droplets on my rail could affect my shot?

At a distance of 30/40 yards would wetness on the bolts and rail impact how the bolt would fly and potentially change my point of impact?

any advise is appreciated.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
DuckHunt

Re: Hunting In The Rain

Post by DuckHunt »

I'm guessing the impact would be very little. Water on the arrows will be gone instantly. On the rail, any added resistance from the droplets may be offset by their lubricating properties. The largest drag would be if the string were saturated with water. Even then, I would expect most of it to vaporize on release. I couldn't imagine the aiming point being impacted much. If it were even an inch at 40 yards I would be surprised.

That sounds like a great test for someone willing to get their crossbow wet intentionally. Though someone may have already tested this after a damp adventure.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

It is a non issue as long as you have plastic veins and you do not have temps that suddenly drop below freezing that could cause issues .
After hunting in rain just dry the bow with a rag or paper towel if you can before leaving field then when you get home let the bow get up to home temperature in the case then air dry you can hit the bolts and if conditions warrant it the trigger with some Hoppes #9 gun oil its scent free I use a large Hypodermic needle the medical kind to get into tight areas.
Also dry any steel broad head parts and wipe with oil to prevent rust.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Tom

Post by Tom »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:03 pm
I was hunting in a light rain this morning and realized that I have never shot my crossbow in the rain so I was wondering how having wet bolts or water droplets on my rail could affect my shot?

At a distance of 30/40 yards would wetness on the bolts and rail impact how the bolt would fly and potentially change my point of impact?

any advise is appreciated.
There is no difference in point of impact. I have hunted with crossbows for over 35 years and have never seen any difference in accuracy. Also I only use feathers for hunting and there is no difference with them as well. Yes feathers look terrible when wet, but they work just as well wet as dry. Even snow doesn't effect accuracy.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
DanO

Post by DanO »

Finding the deer might be a challenge if you're planning on using a blood trail. I don't hunt rainy nights for that reason. Morning hunts are a little better because of the daylight factor improving my chances of finding the deer.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.