Small hand held GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

Small hand held GPS

Post by ThunderXB »

I'm in the market for a small, hand held GPS.

I'm not well versed on them, but hear Garmin is probably the field leader.

I don't need one with all sorts of options, basic get me there, get me back, leave waypoints and trails, accept mapping/hunting application chip and decent on batteries.

(anything else??)

Any feedback/advice?
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Tom

Re: Small hand held GPS

Post by Tom »

I have 2 units. A very old Lawrence and a Garmin Dakota 20.

The Garmin is about 6 or 7 years old. I really like this unit. It operates on AAx2 and I would say that I would get 20 hours of continuous use, longer if you use it sporadically. It has a micro memory slot and ability to use maps, log your trip, waypoints and you can connect to your computer.

If you really want to get into all the features, you can have a lot of fun.

I have use mine for scouting, hunting, fishing and evening cycling. I used the computer to program routes and then added them to the gps for trips or hunting weigh points. Another feather is when you log your plotted trail into your computer map with weigh points, you get a better over all view of your area.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I have an old Garmin as well. Probably 10 years old. Works well for me. Not as fancy as the new ones but gets the job done.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've owned a few Garmin units and all of them have performed well. One option I would recommend is to get an unit with an electronic compass. Though it isn't necessary, it certainly helps you get started in the right direction. Units without a built in compass have no idea which way you are facing if you are standing still. Once you start moving it can calculate your heading and tell you the correct direction. The models with a built in compass can tell which way you are facing.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

i have had several Garmin products.
mainly GPS tracking collars for my Beagles.
they are top notch . and i used the hand held to deer hunt. but i sold all that when i moved.

For deer hunting i downloaded base map on my phone, it was free.
you can check it out on the internet.

its ok for what i need . it was getting me with in 10 foot of waypoints and land marks.
battery life go's to the garmin tho.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have a brand new eTrex 10 by Garmin. I ordered two accidentally, long story there but I like the one I do have. If you want to do some research & see if this unit will work for you, I'll sell it to you for a very reasonable price. I'm not extending this offer to anyone else so please don't PM me. I'll post on trading post after ThunderXB thinks about it!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:39 pm
I have a brand new eTrex 10 by Garmin. I ordered two accidentally, long story there but I like the one I do have. If you want to do some research & see if this unit will work for you, I'll sell it to you for a very reasonable price. I'm not extending this offer to anyone else so please don't PM me. I'll post on trading post after ThunderXB thinks about it!
PM sent
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Garmin 64 st works great and very accurate ... a bit price but great value for money
rayman

Post by rayman »

I've had a couple of the Garmin etrex handhelds. I found them very simple to use and performed adequately. A good economical entry level handheld. I would suggest getting one with a base map and the app with the topo maps that you install on computer, and the computer cable.

As has been mentioned, you can install an app on your phone that will have aerial photos and other maps. You may have to pay $5 or $10 per month for some of the better ones, but some are free.

The compass app on my kids phone was a big help last year when we had to blood trail a doe that he shot back into a hardwood swamp at night.