Church Buddy's Buck )Update!!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Church Buddy's Buck )Update!!)

Post by ko4nrbs »

Now if I can get him to come around when I am there!! The does and this guy are around either late at night or very early in the morning.
Bill
Last edited by ko4nrbs on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Stepnoutnb

Re: Church Buddy's Buck

Post by Stepnoutnb »

GIT-ER-DONE
Nice looking buck
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

That's a nice one. It shouldn't be long before he starts to move in daylight. You might have better luck setting up along his travel route to get to the feeder. Good luck!
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:09 pm
That's a nice one. It shouldn't be long before he starts to move in daylight. You might have better luck setting up along his travel route to get to the feeder. Good luck!
I am over looking the main trail to the feeder now. Using my Ameristep 2 Man Chair blind up against a very large tree with brush piled on both sides. There is only one main tail on this small property, 3 1/2 acres. I killed one there last year that looks very similar to this fellow.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Been dealing with the same thing, it’s gonna happen, it’s gonna happen, it’s gonna happen!

Good luck, all you can do is hunt every chance you get.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Re: Church Buddy's Buck )Update!!)

Post by ko4nrbs »

He came back this morning from the direction of the corn feeder at about 7am about 10 minutes after a doe had passed by. No shot opportunity on her. She was at 50 yards in the saplings. My other Ground Blind looks over the feeder!! Darn the luck!! :x

The buck saw me before I saw him. He didn't snort and take off running just picked his pace up a little and headed for the crossing at the fence. He was at about 50 yards keeping in the tall grass and saplings. Only shot I had was when he stopped about halfway across the fence at 30 yards. Unfortunately it would of been a gut shot and no way would I take a shot like that. This fella deserves much better than that!!

Moved my ground blind about 20 yards closer to where they all cross the fence after he had left. Now alongside the fence with good cover on both sides. I will have some trees between me and the place they cross the fence but it is necessary so they don't see me sticking out like a sore thumb.

I chose not to put out my decoys this morning and that was a big mistake. He would of been focused on them instead of me. They worked well last year when I killed the buck. Could not of gotten him without them. Funny how they just stand there staring at the decoys trying to figure who the new guys in town are.

Back again tomorrow. As xcaliber said hunt every chance you get!! Weather turned very cold and windy when I got in the blind. I was surprised they were out instead of hunkered down somewhere.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

May I ask what kind of decoy do you use?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck Bill, stay after it!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

ihunt wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:48 pm
I now use the Sentinel Deer decoys. Used have Tinks inflatable decoys but sold them because they were so much trouble to inflate and keep inflated. Not available anymore anyway.

I now use these. Super light, durable and set up 2 of them in about 60 to 90 seconds. Made out of corrugated plastic board. 3D so no matter where the deer moves it appears the decoy is following with it's head. The buck I shot last year was totally taken in by them. Froze in his tracks with me 30 yards to his left aiming my crossbow at him. I was in a Ground Blind.
https://deerdecoy.org/

Some deer may freak out if they see them but it hasn't happened to me yet. Even the does stare trying to figure out what they are seeing. I only use them during the Pre-Rut and the Rut when the bucks are out and about looking for a fight.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm
ihunt wrote:
I now use the Sentinel Deer decoys. Used have Tinks inflatable decoys but sold them because they were so much trouble to inflate and keep inflated. Not available anymore anyway.

I now use these. Super light, durable and set up 2 of them in about 60 to 90 seconds. Made out of corrugated plastic board. 3D so no matter where the deer moves it appears the decoy is following with it's head. The buck I shot last year was totally taken in by them. Froze in his tracks with me 30 yards to his left aiming my crossbow at him. I was in a Ground Blind.

Some deer may freak out if they see them but it hasn't happened to me yet. Even the does stare trying to figure out what they are seeing. I only use them during the Pre-Rut and the Rut when the bucks are out and about looking for a fight.

Bill
Thanks they look pretty cool but unfortunately they're all sold out :( I think will perform better than Montana decoys due to the way they are made. Guess I'll have to wait for next year when they have them in stock.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

ihunt wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:18 pm
ko4nrbs wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm
ihunt wrote:

Bill
Thanks they look pretty cool but unfortunately they're all sold out :( I think will perform better than Montana decoys due to the way they are made. Guess I'll have to wait for next year when they have them in stock.
PM sent. Did you get it?
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:01 pm
[
PM sent. Did you get it?
Bill
No Pm received
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

ihunt wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:13 pm
ko4nrbs wrote:
[
PM sent. Did you get it?
Bill
No Pm received
Steve at Sentinel Decoys said he has one or two decoys he could sell. His number is 517-404-5126

He ran out of materials. Orders in bulk annually.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:10 pm
ihunt wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:13 pm
ko4nrbs wrote:
[
PM sent. Did you get it?
Bill
No Pm received
Steve at Sentinel Decoys said he has one or two decoys he could sell. His number is 517-404-5126

He ran out of materials. Orders in bulk annually.

Bill
Thanks I may give him a call tomorrow :thumbup:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers