Blind heater

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Blind heater

Post by W.Miguire »

Has anyone used a heater in their ground blind ? it's going to be cold the next couple of days and i'm thinking of using mine. do you think it will spook the deer?
W.M.
Tom

Re: Blind heater

Post by Tom »

W.Miguire wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:02 am
Has anyone used a heater in their ground blind ? it's going to be cold the next couple of days and i'm thinking of using mine. do you think it will spook the deer?
W.M.
W.Miguire wrote:
W.M.
I have used a catalytic heater (I use a mr buddy) on real cold days. They are as close to quiet as you can get. Vent through the top and the heat and your scent goes more upward than outward.

In the old days I used to use a home made alcohol burner (tobacco tin, toilet papper, alcohol).

I can't say that the heaters have busted me. Actually since I was more comfortable there was less movement from being cold.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
CFD940

Post by CFD940 »

X2 with the Buddy Heater. I use the Bigger size Buddy Heater.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

For cold days I use Sterno Chafing Fuel With Stem Wick, Methanol just put under chair and let heat rise, it keeps me comfortable and is extremely portable, I sometimes I light up two to get extra warm, I had deer past in front of me within a couple of yards and never been busted. For colder days I use my trusty mr. Buddy. I use them both in my ground blind.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

][url=https://postimg.cc/MnPC1vVL]Image
A small sterno stove from Walmart will keep a small blind nice n toasty .its odorless l use mine all the time . A can will last hours.
A small alluminum plate is fine or anything like that you don't need the stove.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I use my Big Buddy propane heater is my blind. I have a 4 man blind which is huge and that heater keeps it warm enough to sit comfortably in the coldest winter that Wisconsin can dish out! I use the conversion kit with a 6 ft hose and connect to a 30# tank that sits outside of my blind. It usually lasts the whole season on that one tank. Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Tom

Post by Tom »

bigbowman wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:36 am
I use my Big Buddy propane heater is my blind. I have a 4 man blind which is huge and that heater keeps it warm enough to sit comfortably in the coldest winter that Wisconsin can dish out! I use the conversion kit with a 6 ft hose and connect to a 30# tank that sits outside of my blind. It usually lasts the whole season on that one tank. Good luck!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Either you have a lot more energy than I ever had or your blind is not far from your house or vehicle. The homemade alcohol burner (methanol) I used for the long hikes hunting, but I stopped using methanol because there was claims the fumes were really bad for you. There are different arguments on how bad or even if it is bad for you, but, I believe no fumes are good for you. But it is you choice as to what you submit your body too.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Thanks folks. I am going to try my buddy heater to day hope I won't blow up :)
W.M.
catclr

Post by catclr »

W.Miguire wrote:
W.M.
Here is a video about heaters and deer-----https://bit.ly/2NJFqnP
Bottom line is Deer really don't care, if you use a heater.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

I use a Mr. Buddy heater.

I have also used a metal five gallon bucket. Cut about five 3/4 inch holes around the bottom edge for air supply. Put all the holes in one area, not all the way around, so the wind doesn't blow out the candles. Light a couple short candles in the bottom of the bucket.

Put a piece of carpet on the lid. Sit on the bucket with your coat hanging down around the bucket. The heat will come right up through the coat.

Just make sure your underwear is not wet from rain or you could get blisters. Don't ask how I know this to be true.
Last edited by rmb721 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Tom wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am
bigbowman wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:36 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: Either you have a lot more energy than I ever had or your blind is not far from your house or vehicle. The homemade alcohol burner (methanol) I used for the long hikes hunting, but I stopped using methanol because there was claims the fumes were really bad for you. There are different arguments on how bad or even if it is bad for you, but, I believe no fumes are good for you. But it is you choice as to what you submit your body too.

Tom
I hunt my own farm property. 😉 On the furthest blinds or towers, I use my atv to get to them. My favorite blind set up is right behind the barn! Not that far of a hike to get there. I only bring my bow and a bottle of water, everything else I leave in each individual blind.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I bought one of these 4 or 5 years ago. Works great in my Doghouse ground blind. The ceiling in the ground blind traps the heat and keeps it tolerable when it is really cold. I used it this morning and it was 16 deg F. I was comfortable though I was also dressed for the cold. The heater takes the bite out of the cold and allows you to sit for longer periods. I can't last long in cold weather unless I have a heater. I have neuropathy in both legs so long sits in cold weather can be torture.
https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Portable-Outdoor-Propane-Heater/dp/B000P9GZSW/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=propane+heater&qid=1573595962&sr=8-11#customerReviews
It has never failed me.

Got tired of buying the little green bottles so I bought this:
Bought the 5 pound one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BLDL7T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My Propane fill station charges $10.00 to fill it. Ask around and you may get it filled even cheaper. Don't let them charge what it costs to fill a 20lb bottle!! That is a rip off.
Small enough for the Ameristep 2 Man Chair blind so it will be no problem in most blinds.

Had to buy this elbow to attach my heater to the bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMC5VU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can't use a hose with the heater I have because the tank supports it.

Have shot deer at 15 yards with the heater on.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have had my heater for several years but never used it, so got up enough nerve and took it out to day and gave it a try. Holy smokes was it nice . the older I get the colder I get . I used a peace of tinfoil to devert the heat my way. and had a big doe come in and she was more interested in mating than eating she walked to a new scrape and peed and walked the other way . don 't know if the heater spooked her because I shut it down so I could cover it up . got some snow coming in tonight . well I glad I tried it it keeps you warm and comfy . :thumbup: :clap:
W.M.
janesy

Post by janesy »

rmb721 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am

I have also used a metal five gallon bucket. Cut about five 3/4 inch holes around the bottom edge for air supply. Put all the holes in one area, not all the way around, so the wind doesn't blow out the candles. Light a couple short candles in the bottom of the bucket.

Put a piece of carpet on the lid. Sit on the bucket with your coat hanging down around the bucket. The heat will come right up through the coat.

Just make sure your underwear is not wet from rain or you could get blisters. Don't ask how I know this to be true.
Great idea!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

janesy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:41 am
rmb721 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am

Great idea!
What the wet underwear or the bucket idea? Lol
Just joking around.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers