Safety Hammer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tlyle

Safety Hammer

Post by Tlyle »

Does anyone use a hammer extension on their safety? If so, can you recommend one that fits and works well? I can’t put mine back into the safe position without taking my glove off. Any help would be appreciated.
Matrix 380, Zombie Slayers, TT 2.5
Matrix 360 Bulldog Blackout, TT 1.5
Shoot Straight, Eat Steak!
dithian

Re: Safety Hammer

Post by dithian »

Not sure about a hammer extension, but here's how I solve the problem: First off, I wear mechanic's gloves because they're designed to maximize dexterity. On the glove of my trigger hand I cut a hole in the end pad of the index finger and thumb, big enough that I can get the first digit of my finger/thumb through it when I'm ready to move the safety catch and take a shot. Most of the time I just sit there with my fingers withdrawn into the gloves, but it's no time at all expose the parts I need to when I need to.

I should say, I'm in a warm climate so I only wear gloves to protect from mosquitos. I imagine the same technique would work just fine if you need big puffy gloves in the frozen north.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You're talking about something called a spur. Since the safety is not as hard as cocking a Muzzle Loader, or Single Shot Rifle, you could probably duct tape a protrusion like a thimble, or small game piece that would work. In the off season, try pulling the scope back a bit. If you can see well through it, maybe your issue is solved.
Let us know aye.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
dithian

Post by dithian »

Thinking about this, I'd be reluctant to add an extension to the safety. The safety latch is designed the way it is for a reason, and adding an extension to it would increase the risk of accidentally knocking it off safety, IMHO. If you've got an old pair of winter gloves you don't mind destroying, try what I suggested above and see if that can work for you. Maybe I'm just a nervous Nellie, but I'm generally opposed to tampering with any safety device where potentially lethal force is concerned.