Help with best performance from 308 Short

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NonTypicalCPA

Help with best performance from 308 Short

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

I bought a 308 short for my daughter this year. She’s shooting the stock arrows with 100 grain Thorn HPX mechanicals. A week ago she shot a doe at 25 yards right in the boiler room and didn’t get a pass through, although it was close with most of the arrow hanging out the back side. I’m wondering if I can get better penetration out of her setup? Would a heavier arrow increase penetration with all else being consistent? What about a custom string? Other ideas?
longbow joe

Re: Help with best performance from 308 Short

Post by longbow joe »

Try a black eagle zombie with a 110 brass insert and move up to a 125 head you will get great groups and better penetration.
That bow has more than enough horsepower for any whitetail no matter your bolt choice but a heavier bolt will only help.my vixen is slower than your bow and that combo usually goes thru the deer no issues. Dont be afraid of a little weight in your bolts everyone is so hung up on speed.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:54 pm
I bought a 308 short for my daughter this year. She’s shooting the stock arrows with 100 grain Thorn HPX mechanicals. A week ago she shot a doe at 25 yards right in the boiler room and didn’t get a pass through, although it was close with most of the arrow hanging out the back side. I’m wondering if I can get better penetration out of her setup? Would a heavier arrow increase penetration with all else being consistent? What about a custom string? Other ideas?
So my personal experience with the 308/310 micro combo. Noting that I have no terminal experience to back this up.
15.5" Zombie w/110 insert and luminock with a low profile WASP drone for a total weight of 392grn flies deadly accurate and penetrates my Reinhardt target very well. The difference in penetration into the Reinhardt between my 310, 345, and 370 micro is barely 1" deeper with the 370. That tells me that the combo is more than plenty powerful to pass through.
So to increase penetration I would be switching to a fixed head and increase arrow weight. There are plenty of reasons for fixed and mechanical alike, but a mechanical will rob power, and altho the 308 has more than enough, in the case of your daughter's deer, more is never a bad thing
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Thorn broadhead fly well and cut a nice hole. Penetration isn't one of their strong points
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I just purchased a 308 short and plan on using a fixed head with heavy arrow
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, I agree you'll be better off with fixed heads, or a smaller mechanical. The mechanical heads take a bit of energy to open, but even though you may not get a pass thru, if the deer expired quickly, that's all that really matters.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Try the Black Eagle Executioners in 16.5" with 110 grains of brass up front. I shoot a set up that's about 22% FOC with this bolt/arrow. It drives!! :thumbup:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

If it where me I would try a Magnus Buzz Cut they are made for lower pound bows and they will penetrate and they will replace them if you bend or brake it for free no ? asked even in practice.
W.M.