How do you know when to change strings?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Smong2000

How do you know when to change strings?

Post by Smong2000 »

Let me try a new post...
I never really have had any good info on when a string is done. I know if it is frayed under the serving it's time to replace and every few years is often cited but that doesn't take into account which bow, how much you shoot, how long your bow stays cocked and what type of string and material.
So how about dacron and D97 endless loop strings on Micro 355 and BD400 bows? What about factory strings? Would it be different with Flemish strings? I seem to need a lot of regular twisting to keep brace height and eventually the material should be getting weakened right? Thanks
nchunterkw

Re: How do you know when to change strings?

Post by nchunterkw »

ON the EL strings, check the loops. There is only 1/2 the number of strands in the loop (versus a Flemish) and they may be stretching a bit causing the BH change.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Thanks Keith, loops appear fine.

Anyone else chime in please. Just did 2 more twists yesterday on the Micro 355 and it's getting hard to twist without winding and bunching it up, the BD400 factory string hasn't moved since August. .. but the Dacron or D97 is so much quieter and softer shooting I want more of them.
Boo

Post by Boo »

A string needs twisting when it is first installed. During the break-in process, you'll twist more but the rate of twisting reduces as the string gets closer to being broken in. When the rate of twisting increases, it is over due to be replaced.
In order for man kind to progress, common sense always prevailled. :wave: It really sounds like you already know from the way the string bunches up when you remove the string that a replacement is in order.
Dacron on a Micro? You will be constantly adjusting your brace height.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Thanks Boo, I did know that it was probably time for a new string but wanted to confirm with some experts. I am not sure if it really is dacron or D97, I was told it was an ABB string and it is solid dark green so local 'experts' told me it was dacron or D97. From the way it shoots, I am inclined to think it's dacron because it is very much faster compared to Danny's M's Flemish string and very much quieter. I can put up with adjusting the brace height often for the performance it seems to be providing.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo, and Keith have given you great advice, I’m doubtful that your string is Dacron unless you got a custom made string in that material. Buy a custom Flemish String from one of the string makers on the trading post, you’ll be glad you did!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dacron is the SLOOOOOOWEST material and because of its weakness a lot of strands get employed so it ends up being noticeably thicker and heavier) than a Dyneema string.
Servings have got to get a good grip into the string material. But the string material still moves a tad under the serving so some fuzz under the serving is to be expected and does not disqualify it from service.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Potter

Post by Potter »

How long have you had the strings on?how many shots on them?
Bulldog 440. Exocet 200
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Thanks for ALL the advice guys. I'm doubtful that the string is really dacron after Boo's comments because this string is so much faster than the Flemish string. I based this on my groups from each string in succession without adjusting scope, the Flemish string shot inches lower at 30 yds. I'm suspecting that the string was quite new, it had a ton of wax on it. Maybe it was on the long side as built so it started with extra twists. I should note that it was twisted the wrong way wrt the serving and so when I started twisting it to set brace height, the serving loosened up. I took all the twists out, gave a touch of wax, and twisted the other way. That tightened the serving nicely.

This is a used Micro 355 so only know what the seller said, the EL string was ABB and the Flemish was Danny Miller's. He said very little shooting on the bow less than a year old, and servings were OK except for a rough latch so have to believe him. I have put around 125 shots on it but left it cocked for 4 or 5 days when I first got it to test the limbs a little. Maybe I killed the string... :eusa-think:

From the input given here, I am going to get the DM string reserved and put the mystery string aside for the time being. Maybe someone will want to trade the Flemish for an Excalibur factory string so I can start fresh after the season. It will be good to compare a real factory EL string with this one to see where and how they shoot...