Skin tumor

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

Skin tumor

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Imagehttps://i.postimg.cc/wTRfYp7y/IMG-0935.jpgFirst deer I've killed that had these tumors. Only on the hide, didn't go to the meat.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Tom

Re: Skin tumor

Post by Tom »

I can't see your picture, but your description is something that I am familiar with. I forget what it is called but it has no connection into the meat. All the meat is safe.

When we first came upon this, we took the deer straight into a MNR office and their biologist came out and inpected the deer. He told us what it was, then skinned a little just to show that it never came through the skin. We never noticed any difference in the meat.

Hope these helps.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_cutaneous_fibroma

No problem to eat.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
janesy

Post by janesy »

Deleted, doubled up
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I’m sorry but I would NOT eat any part of that deer! I wouldn’t even donate it either. That deer would be buried if I had shot it! I don’t trust any scientists or dnr personnel.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Tom

Post by Tom »

bigbowman wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:39 pm
I’m sorry but I would NOT eat any part of that deer! I wouldn’t even donate it either. That deer would be buried if I had shot it! I don’t trust any scientists or dnr personnel.
The deer I have seen was much worse looking, actually had some dangle down a lot.

You could not even see any sign of it on the underside of the skin. Many years later I read where they actually tested the meat of an effected deer and there was no signs of anything wrong.

Bigbowman, I understand your fear, there was more than one in our group that shared your fears which is why we took the deer into a MNR office, one member was just hoping to get a replacement tag. But they showed that it was only on top of the skin, not even reaching through all layers of the skin. It is actually quite common and I have heard of many deer with this, all over the US and Canada.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The nastiest thing I seen a deer was a big puss filled mass on its back. It was hit with a slug and the slug stayed under the hide.

Other than losing 6 inches of back strap the rest of the deer was delicious!! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
papa bear1

!

Post by papa bear1 »

bigbowman wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:39 pm
:thumbup: I couldn't eat it if I wanted to.
don't have the stomach for it !!!!!!!!!

Dave :eusa-snooty:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shot one with similar stuff on it this year and contacted the wildlife biologist here in NC. I took a bunch of pics and sent them to him and he sent them to the Southeast Cooperative whicvh does a ton of deer research. They are called fibromas and are basically a wart. The meat from a deer with fibromas is fine to eat as they only go skin deep. Here is a link to an article from the QDMA

https://www.qdma.com/deer-warts-eat/
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

That was the perfect deer to harvest, in many European countries they have elected hunters/ wardens and they never take the biggest,most healthy animals but only harvest the poorest specimens or animals that have issues.
I am not saying you shot an inferior animal but that it was a good animal to harvest.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.