Re living the shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re living the shot

Post by longbow joe »

I was walking the dog today and l had a chat with my 80 year old neighbor (a bad ass former hunter and sweetheart of a elderly friend) and he brought up the subject of how you shoot a whitetail or any other animal for that matter and you go home and re live the shot for the next 24 hours.....l said Al ...yep l do that but no one ever brought it up before you.... l love that man.
He gave up hunting and memories are all he has .He would be awfully mad if l killed something and didn't drop buy.. lol. I love old people l hope l live long... but not long enough to not hunt or at least fish
Last edited by longbow joe on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Re: Re living the shot

Post by xcaliber »

I reflect on my shots too Joe, I think it might help me next hunt even if it’s a good shot. I have a few older guys that no longer hunt and want to hear every single detail after I get one. Then I have to hear stories I heard many times before, but as I get older I understand it more and more. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Same here and wouldn’t have it any other way :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

I agree, the memories are a trophy all their own
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Tom

Post by Tom »

janesy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:29 pm
I agree, the memories are a trophy all their own
This above quote is spot on.

Years ago, my family ran a very busy fishing charter business in Lake Ontario. I don't remember how many times I was asked " would you mount that fish". I had always replied that was an unfair question as I had seen many many very large fish. I would then tell them that mounting a fish or an animal should not be because of it's size, but more from the story of how it came about. That in years down the road, every time you look at the mount, you will relive the good times.

Memories are mostly all I have now, but they still bring smiles.

BTW, I ran into an old client this summer, he told me that every time he sees the fish he had mounted, he relives the great time and smiles. I would be sad if no one would remember good times hunting or fishing (successful or not) after they happened.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Long after the meat is eaten the memories remain of the hunt I feel it in some way honer's the harvesting of the animal to sustain our families.
I always like to lay my hands on a harvest and pray a prayer of thanks to the animal and to god for the taking of the life that will feed my family, just seams like the natural thing to do.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I still relive the shot when I killed my first squirrel in 1966!! Was hunting with my Dad and brother and every time I drive pass that spot on I40 in Southern Oklahoma it brings back the memory.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Yes memories are precious. I have hunted for many years and I can remember every hunt and kill from the first to the last one I have taken so far . We I all like to hear the hunting stories . Joe , I hope you can keep your friend for a long time to come . I can see him sitting beside you on your hunts
W.M.
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

I'm 68 years old and can remember the details of over 50 successful hunts and many unsuccessful attempts. I love hearing stories of other people's hunts. Look forward to making many more memories.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I also love reliving the hunts especially when I look at some of my deer mounts and relive the situation again. I've been lucky over the last few years getting to hunt with my wife and my grandkids so I get to relive their hunts also. I really enjoying seeing them getting so excited when buck fever gets ahold of them.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

I guess I do as well. Some of the kills keep popping into my mind but funny enough, I remember some geese and zero turkeys. :eusa-think:
Older folks are special. Almost everyone of my very close friends are older. There are customers that have moved on quite a while ago that I still keep tabs on. Just like old dogs, they are a treasure to me as well.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
artifact

Post by artifact »

Strange, it seems like the ones that keep popping up in my mind the most are the ones I messed up on! :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 am
I guess I do as well. Some of the kills keep popping into my mind but funny enough, I remember some geese and zero turkeys. :eusa-think:
Older folks are special. Almost everyone of my very close friends are older. There are customers that have moved on quite a while ago that I still keep tabs on. Just like old dogs, they are a treasure to me as well.
For some reason, I actually cannot remember every turkey I've got. I try tho. A buddy asked me back in the spring how many I've taken, and for the life of me, I can't figure it out.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Potter

Post by Potter »

I remember all my spring turkeys. I just love being in the woods before dark listening for that gobble! It's also a great time of the year to be out. I think I'm starting to like it more than fall archery.
Bulldog 440. Exocet 200