Bulldog 440 learning curve

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Bulldog 440 learning curve

Post by Boo »

When I got my 440 the servings would last 10 shots and in fact the string got cut in half the first time. After having to reserve 2 more times I polished the latches without disassembling the trigger unit. When I have time, I will take my trigger unit apart myself and make the latches perfect. Yes, they are hard on servings!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You have to know that Boo won't overdramatize when he speaks.

What he describes is just not acceptable. Getting a brand new bow like that is just as bad as buying a new BMW or Mercedes and finding out that it steers horribly as you drive it home. Then you find out that the reason is because the steering is out of alignment and need to be adjusted.

It has to be obvious that the latches are a critical component on such a model.

The back end of the manufacturing process--warranty--is exceptionally good. The front end is leaving a lot to be desired. If this were a singular, "one of" event, that would be one thing. It doesn't seem to be, and that's just sad.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Potter

Post by Potter »

How long will the serving last on your axe?
Bulldog 440. Exocet 200
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Potter wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:27 pm
How long will the serving last on your axe?
Not sure if you’re asking me but, I have about 150 shots on one of 3 strings I have used. It still looks good! Boo is correct with all of his advice. I still think that even with all the improvements you will still be subjecting your serving to more stress that will wear serving quickly.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Potter

Post by Potter »

I have a hard time excepting that 120 shots on a string is acceptable on any xbox! Till a new string stretches I might have 50 shots on it,then shoot some more to sight in, practice with broadheads, and then I'm ready to hunt. Well by then I will soon need a new string ! This seems like a major design flaw to me! I hope excalibur marketing dude can chime in here! I should have done my homework and been on this site before buying ! Are there any new bows that get 500 plus shots on a string?
Bulldog 440. Exocet 200
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I have owned many Excalibur bows and I have to say my current Micro 335 has the best trigger out of them all. No premature serving wear. No creep and a light trigger pull. This bow is a keeper!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:14 am
I have owned many Excalibur bows and I have to say my current Micro 335 has the best trigger out of them all. No premature serving wear. No creep and a light trigger pull. This bow is a keeper!

Is it a stock string?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Potter wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:04 am
I have a hard time excepting that 120 shots on a string is acceptable on any xbox! Till a new string stretches I might have 50 shots on it,then shoot some more to sight in, practice with broadheads, and then I'm ready to hunt. Well by then I will soon need a new string ! This seems like a major design flaw to me! I hope excalibur marketing dude can chime in here! I should have done my homework and been on this site before buying ! Are there any new bows that get 500 plus shots on a string?
It's a new bow with new territories but I think a few hundred shots should be considered acceptable. Maybe 500 but no one really knows yet.
I polish my latches without disassembling the trigger unit. I did it that way to get through the hunting season. I know that if I can't look at the latch surface with out an electronic microscope or at least a loop, theres no guarantee that there will be maximum serving life.
Get on the horn and talk to Peter at Excalibur in mid January whent things slow down a tad and have a chat about your problems and expectations.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Potter wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:04 am

IMO asking a string under 300lbs of pressure at an extreme angle, captured and released by two 3/16” wide pieces of steel to last 500 shots is like a nascar driver expecting to use the same engine for the entire season. You should be thrilled with 120 shots before re-serving. Again just my opinion.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Boo wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:34 am
Carnivorous wrote:

Is it a stock string?
I'm currently using one of your Flemish strings! All good!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:54 am
Boo wrote:
Carnivorous wrote:

Is it a stock string?
Sorry Jeff, I meant is that a stock trigger unit?
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Boo wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:56 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:54 am
Boo wrote:

Is it a stock string?
Sorry Jeff, I meant is that a stock trigger unit?
Yes sir. Stock trigger. I have never removed it or had to mess with it! :)
SEW

Post by SEW »

I’ve never encountered any of these serving issues on my 4 Excaliburs. I’ve had a M380, 2 M405s and a BD400. These were owned simultaneously over a 5 year span.
They all got TT triggers. I sent 3 of them back to TT and asked for the latches to be modified to the shape Boo likes. I modified the 4th one myself. I did use Rail Snot and waxed the strings frequently. I used Boo and Vixenmaster strings. My first Boo string went 2,500+ shots (M380) after which he insisted on reserving even though I thought it was still very serviceable. On one 405, I only shot it 200-300 shots but it still looked great and the other went well over 1,000 shots and was sold with that string still on it. I still own my BD400 (over 5 years) which has >1,500 shots on the Boo string and still looks new.
Maybe Excaliburs don’t need Rail lub, but I don’t think hurt in my situation.
Of course, Micro sized limbs at higher angles and Matrix limbs, similarly flexed will cause greater serving strain. Possibly, there’s a threshold beyond which current serving can’t handle the combined angulation/holding pressure.