freezing deer meat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: freezing deer meat

Post by Boo »

grouse wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:03 pm
When using freezer Ziploc type bags I fill the sink or a large bowl with water then dip the packed bags into the water as close to the top of the bag as possible before sealing. The water forces the air out of the bags. You can also close the bag from both sides around a drinking straw and suck the air out as you quickly seal the bag. It also helps prevent freezer burn when you rinse the meat just before bagging to create a light glaze on the meat. Turn the packages over about an hour after you put them into the freezer to re-distribute the moisture. The light glaze helps to prevent freezer burn.
The water thing is a great idea!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I've always used water when I freeze fish, never tried it with deer meat.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
grouse

Post by grouse »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:51 pm
I've always used water when I freeze fish, never tried it with deer meat.
I just rinse meat to make sure the surface is wet when I freeze it. I don't fill the bag with water like some people do with fish. Filling the bag with water makes some fish fillets (like crappie) mushy, in my experience.
axiom
350 SE
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

ThunderXB wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 pm
I don't really like freezer paper, if I knew I'd be using within 45-60 days, it would be OK but not my first pick, too many freezer burn experiences and paper taste.

My OCD method is to wrap tightly and generously in plastic wrap and then vacuum seal that bag.

Sometimes vacuum seal bags lose their seal, with the plastic wrap you have additional safeguard.

I try hard to eat up my venison within a year, it tastes better and makes room for new incoming stuff.

IF I didn't have a vacuum sealer, I'd double wrap in plastic wrap and wrap that tightly with freezer paper.
X2....except the plastic wrap first...but I love this idea.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.